The "Extended Range Guitarist" Forum - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

The "Extended Range Guitarist" Forum

So I've been pondering building the Extended Range Guitarist forum for quite some time now for those of us that have the 7+ stringed instruments. (Of course, anyone would be welcome to join )
It'll be a phpBB board like this one most likely hosted off my site, for now.

Anyway, I wanted to get suggestions for forum catagories and such. I want to keep it mostly instrument/equipment/artist based without any "General Discussion" areas. There are plenty of other places on the net for that.

I'll probably start setting up tonight and it should be ready to go by morning.

Thanks in advance.

www.extendedrangeguitar.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 06:45 PM

Extended Range Guitars

Extended Range Bass Guitars

Fanned Fret Instruments

Suppliers

Artists using extended range guitars

Extended range music theory

Hrrrm...thats all I can think of right now....
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 06:51 PM

Instrument electronics... not only to discuss pickups and stuff, but the possibilty of onboard crossovers and stuff like that
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 07:09 PM

I wouldn't recommend having "Fanned Fret Instruments" as its own area, because it overlaps with the Guitar and Bass areas.

"Amplification" would be a good one.

"Recording" might also be useful.

"Accessories" for discussing things like effects or strings, etc.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 07:42 PM

Amplication
Recording
Guitars
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 10:51 PM

i agree with Darren. Those all sound like logical categories that would hit most subjects without much overlap.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:08 PM

Actually, i think Shannon's on the right track, too... except maybe instead of the term "guitars" it should just be "instruments" and lump guitar and bass in there together. We are, after all, talking about extended-range instruments that in many cases cover both.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Actually, i think Shannon's on the right track, too... except maybe instead of the term "guitars" it should just be "instruments" and lump guitar and bass in there together. We are, after all, talking about extended-range instruments that in many cases cover both.
Word yo.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 10:46 AM

Yes and no, Darren... While the range definately overlaps, the manner in which they're played is still distinct- I mean, there's a difference between the way Meshuggah uses their 8-strings, even when tuned down into the bass register, and an 8-string bassist would use the instrument, even tuned to the same pitches. In terms of note choice (chords/diads vs. single note lines) tone (clean vs. distorted), picking technique (thumbed vs. picked)... These are some pretty broad generalizations, and you can definaely play a bass like a guitar (i really dig the sound of double stops on the upper strings played through a distorted guitar amp) and a guitar like a bass (slap lines, etc), but the manner in which they're generally played, to my ears, differs.

Doesn't mean I don't agree with you, though. Here at Jemsite, you can post with icons next to the subject line- maybe have an icon for "multi-stringed guitars" and one for "multi-stringed basses," with a third for both? That way, we can have a general forum for all multi-stringed instruments, while still being able to differentiate at a glance whether we're talking about an instrument used as a "guitar" or as a "bass," or as some new entity?

So, let's try this for forum areas:

-General Discussion
-Instruments
-Amplification and Effects
-Recording
-Theory and Technique
-Players and Bands
-For Sale

And maybe an "Multi-Stringed Instruments: an Introduction" board for newcomers? Although, we could probably just stick that into a topic within the Instruments section, and sticky it...

I'm psyched by this idea... If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

-D

Edit- added a Recording section. Shannon, you're right, these thigns are some of the trickiest instruments to record due tot heir massive range. Good call, bro.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 11:32 AM

It's a small enough specialty that you don't need any categories. One big forum would do just fine.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 12:19 PM

Definitely do without the "General Discussion" area. These boards get so clogged with people sharing the latest internet joke sites, posting photos of their cars/bikes/pets/kids, or whining that their wife/girlfriend/mistress/dog just left them. It'd be great to keep the "off-topic" discussion to a minimum.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 12:30 PM

"Multistringed instruments for beginners"? As far as I can count, 6, as well as 8 is more than 1. :P Hope you get my point.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Definitely do without the "General Discussion" area. These boards get so clogged with people sharing the latest internet joke sites, posting photos of their cars/bikes/pets/kids, or whining that their wife/girlfriend/mistress/dog just left them. It'd be great to keep the "off-topic" discussion to a minimum.
That's exactly my thoughts.

Some good suggestions coming in.

I'm digging Drew's idea's(minus the general area ) Kind of a nice general blend.
I like the idea of a "Suppliers" section too but until it gets big enough that can be lumped in with "Instruments".

-Instruments
-Amplification and Effects <- Maybe throw Accessories in there.
-Recording
-Theory and Technique
-Players and Bands
-For Sale

I figure that if the forum ever got big enough we could eventually split "Instruments" into seperate guitar and bass catagories.

Hopefully it should be up by tonight. I ran into a snag last night...err...I mean...after practice last night I went out drinking with a buddy. I'm so irresponsible

And yeah, it's not really that big of a 'specialty' yet, but you never know.

Now, to pick the color and the style of the board.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 02:00 PM

Roland- well, Bucketbot probably would't actually ban anyone with a 6 string, i'd think, ya know... I mean, t's not THEIR fault...

Yeah, good call on the General, Darren/Bucket- I don't actually read it myself, and I just figured everyone else did. Kinda nice to know i was wrong.

Can't wait to see this. If you get it up tonight, i can sign up and start checking it out at work tomorrow. If not, i've got a similar snag for this weekend (going up to my old college withy a good friend of mine, after she interviews in Boston tomorrow- extend the scope of debauchery a little bit (i've got two tentative dates lined up already, bonus points for the one where it's with a girl who's currently got a guy who flew in from romania to see her ), and as much as I'd love to demo the board, I'll probably be keeping a low profile...

Is there going to be an accompanying site with the board (i.e- www.jemsite.com and www.jemsite.com/phpbb www.tabcrawler.com and forums.tabcrawler.com, etc), or just a discussion?

-D
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Is there going to be an accompanying site with the board (i.e- www.jemsite.com and www.jemsite.com/phpbb www.tabcrawler.com and forums.tabcrawler.com, etc), or just a discussion?

-D
Maybe after a while I'll get a site going for it. I eventually plan on buying it's own domain name. The money is a little tight right now. This being a professional musician crap is starting to suck! And Burger King uniforms are really un-flattering to my figure.

Tags
darren wilson , fanned fret , picking technique , string bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode