Eyeing other three guitars at local store... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Eyeing other three guitars at local store...

...after that sexy Ibanez RGD was sold!

The store matches internet prices and I like the idea of 7 strings and baritone guitars and that RGD looked like one I would have loved going C# to C#
or C to C with that 26.5" inch long scale!

The three that I saw in a similarly affordable price range under 400 dollars were:

1) ESP LTD MH-50 with Floyd Special for $270 dollars
2) Squier vintage Jaguar for 300
3) Squier vintage '69 Telecaster thinline for 399
...and maybe
4) ESP LTD surf green strat like ST model 349

While all very different from each other and none close to replacing long scale RGD, they all talk to me....thoughts?

That being said, if all I ever own or owned were Ibanez, I would be more than fine. Nobody makes a better superstrat, nobody competes seriously on 7 and 8 strings, and Ibby Les Paul and Ibby non-trem strat type guitars are as good as anything ever made in a factory.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-15-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 AM

Re: Eyeing other three guitars at local store...

Hard to help with just the model descriptions . . . of course the best advice is always to play a guitar and see if it appeals to you.

Like you say, very different guitars and they'll have very different necks. I'd go with the Telecaster myself just based on the identities of the guitars. But it seems like $400 is pretty high for a used Squier.

If none of those is really what you want, put that four hundred bucks aside and keep looking and saving.

Peace

Mike
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Hard to help with just the model descriptions . . . of course the best advice is always to play a guitar and see if it appeals to you.

Like you say, very different guitars and they'll have very different necks. I'd go with the Telecaster myself just based on the identities of the guitars. But it seems like $400 is pretty high for a used Squier.

If none of those is really what you want, put that four hundred bucks aside and keep looking and saving.

Peace

Mike
The Squier is new, but it's still a Squier. However, it's the best darn Squier I have ever played and its neck is as good as American Standard Telecaster and darn near identical. It's the highest priced Squier and the Fender thinline Telecaster Modern Player Series, also Chinese made, is just a little more at $449 MAP. But there's just something about how that particular Squier came together. Some are bad, some mediocre, and a few are excellent and this one is excellent.

The radius of the board is the flat 9.5" inch radius found on the American Standard Telecaster and it has nearly as big frets, too. It doesn't have the ultra small frets as on a 1969 and it doesn't have the vintage 7.25" inch rounded radius but it has the overall vibe of the old school Fenders. Pretty much the only difference I can detect is that the guitar simply has a different sticker. Being that the actual Fender is only $50 dollars more, these guitars are the same quality.

That being said, I would easily go for the Fender Modern Player Series thinline if it was at the store, too. I just like to shop local in our cowtown to help the merchant even though it ends up being an extra 10-20% percent depending on the item. But with internet price matching, it's just the 8.5% percent state sales tax I have to worry about so it's a relative bargain and I get to try out the guitar in person versus the unknown of the internet. Guitars and amps are best suited to be tried out first but I can buy all the mics, stands, picks, strings, pickups, sheet music, and cases online without any anxiety.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:37 AM

You know, I think about the price range and get to mulling over your overall budget. I'd buy the cheapest guitar and put at least one after market pickup on it as soon as possible. Later on, you can fix whatever else is wrong with the guitar. You know, checking for wiring problems and stuff like that with internet searches might not be bad. I personally like the way Squier Jaguar play, but if I can get a cheaper guitar and start making it sound exactly how I want it to sound, then that is exactly what I would and do do. I tend to buy guitars that are almost beyond repair but have potential. That's been my strategy for since moving back home from Japan. Were we in Japan, no used guitar is cheap. The new ones are! Of course, I have bought two guitars new, but that's it for the rest of my life. Then again, it was very hard to find a Warwick bass used without wondering why anybody would ever sell one. The Ibanez ARZ800 just spoke to me and told me that if I didn't buy it, I would never see it again. It's been discontinued from I can tell. A close call. I got the second last one in my cowtown where I live.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudio View Post
The Ibanez ARZ800 just spoke to me and told me that if I didn't buy it, I would never see it again. It's been discontinued from I can tell. A close call. I got the second last one in my cowtown where I live.
That's a nice one and similar in a way to this cool one, also maple on mahogany with 81/60 Metallica sound combo:

http://www.espguitars.com/products/8...8-kirk-hammett

Both the Ibanez ARZ800 and ESP Kirk Hammett DC are extremely sexy guitars for that high octane stuff that doesn't require a tremolo.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-17-2013 at 12:27 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Peace

Mike
Good advice.
Squier Guitars may be looked upon as cheap guitars, and while the low cost aspect is true, they play better than most guitars costing 3 times as much. I've owned a few of them. My first one was a bullet given as a gift, (my favorite) and after initially being turned off by how inexpensive it was, I was amazed by how it played and sounded. I loved it.

The Tele models are just as good. They should in no way be overlooked or frowned upon in comparison to fender custom snob models,

The squiers I've had were pretty damned good. The pickups arent all that great, but the guitar itself was always fine. And for the price, it was awesome.

All it has to really do is play good!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
That's a nice one and similar in a way to this cool one, also maple on mahogany with 81/60 Metallica sound combo:

http://www.espguitars.com/products/8...8-kirk-hammett

Both the Ibanez ARZ800 and ESP Kirk Hammett DC are extremely sexy guitars for that high octane stuff that doesn't require a tremolo.
I adore ESP guitars. Sad, but true. I'll never buy one, though. Only two of my electric guitars aren't made by Ibanez. It just seems that Ibanez does the little things well. ESP is a great company with a great history. I'll leave it to somebody to give me one like that one in the link above as a gift.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
Good advice.
Squier Guitars may be looked upon as cheap guitars, and while the low cost aspect is true, they play better than most guitars costing 3 times as much. I've owned a few of them. My first one was a bullet given as a gift, (my favorite) and after initially being turned off by how inexpensive it was, I was amazed by how it played and sounded. I loved it.

The Tele models are just as good. They should in no way be overlooked or frowned upon in comparison to fender custom snob models,

The squiers I've had were pretty damned good. The pickups arent all that great, but the guitar itself was always fine. And for the price, it was awesome.

All it has to really do is play good!!!
I purposely bought a Squier Strat to make myself work harder to sound better. It was the lone smart thing that I have ever done in terms of buying guitars. I ended up giving it to a guy when I bought an NDM1 from him so that he could have a guitar. Still, that Squier Strat made me work hard. I had no complaints about the guitar. It was just so different to play compared to what I had played previously. Had I been in a band, I would have put in different pick ups. That was the only real issue that I could see with that guitar. It was like the old Hondo guitars--A tank.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
. I'd go with the Telecaster myself just based on the identities of the guitars. But it seems like $400 is pretty high for a used Squier.

Mike
The Thinline is the hollowbody though it's probably worth it
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

The whole idea of Leo Fender was to make a simple electric guitar, low cost, yet retain high quality. The build design is hard to mess up so it's no mystery that Squier could build a great guitar at a great price. It's hard for higher end Fenders to do too much to the bolt on design onto an ash or alder body to make it dynamically different.

A few Squiers have skimpy pickups but that's all that's needed to change. The lowest end ones could also use better tuners but not much more.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
The whole idea of Leo Fender was to make a simple electric guitar, low cost, yet retain high quality. The build design is hard to mess up so it's no mystery that Squier could build a great guitar at a great price. It's hard for higher end Fenders to do too much to the bolt on design onto an ash or alder body to make it dynamically different.

A few Squiers have skimpy pickups but that's all that's needed to change. The lowest end ones could also use better tuners but not much more.
Too right. Too freaking right!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudio View Post
I purposely bought a Squier Strat to make myself work harder to sound better. It was the lone smart thing that I have ever done in terms of buying guitars. I ended up giving it to a guy when I bought an NDM1 from him so that he could have a guitar. Still, that Squier Strat made me work hard. I had no complaints about the guitar. It was just so different to play compared to what I had played previously. Had I been in a band, I would have put in different pick ups. That was the only real issue that I could see with that guitar. It was like the old Hondo guitars--A tank.
My dad wound me up some pickups for it and it was awesome.
He put a humbucker in the bridge and fattened up the singles. It sounded really good. That was such a long time ago...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode