EZ vs Edge Pro - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

EZ vs Edge Pro

People I need help. I'm about to buy an Ibanez RG1570. I have only 2 shops that sell it where I live. One has the RG1570 with the Edge Pro and the other the "new model" with the Edge Zero and ZPS.

I cant try them both enough time like to tell which is worse. However I read a thread on here (from about 2009) which speaks s*** about the EZ. Is it really that bad? Because I thought they were equal (tuning stability speaking).

I wouldnt mind getting the "older" model with the EP (probably 2009 stock), it's just that you never know how they've kept the guitar during these 2 years, and I do care about humidity, etc. (one of my guitar's neck warped before) :/

Help is much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 PM

Re: EZ vs Edge Pro

You can take a part out of the Edge Zero to turn in into a full-floating trem (i.e. without the zero point system, the edge zero is a floating trem either way), and this is a standard mod built in to the design.

I think the ZPS is the only gripe people have about the Edge Zero. Since you can easily take it out, I don't think it's much of an issue. You might even like it! I do.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
You can take a part out of the Edge Zero to turn in into a full-floating trem (i.e. without the zero point system, the edge zero is a floating trem either way), and this is a standard mod built in to the design.

I think the ZPS is the only gripe people have about the Edge Zero. Since you can easily take it out, I don't think it's much of an issue. You might even like it! I do.
Does it stay in tune well?

I thought the ZPS replaced the screws that adjust the trem level in the EP. If you take it out, then how do you correct the level of the trem?
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 PM

you just remove the outer springs (the black ones I think, from memory) and a bar between the two. the thumb-screw thing remains in the guitar to adjust the trem level.

I've never actually done it, but it's like a one-diagram procedure in the manual. looks pretty simple.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 PM

Reviews: 10

I have a RG2550z with an EZ bridge and I really like that bridge - I also have an older RG and a Jem both with original Edge trems and I like those too... they are different animals... it depends on what you're used to...if you read a thread where people are saying s*** about the EZ trem then maybe they were used to something different and just didn't like it or connect with it... I don't think EZ trems are s*** - I like mine a lot - you might like it too...
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 PM

I much prefer the original edge, Lo-Pro or Edge Pro probably cause I grew up with them but they are some of the nicest trems ever made why fix what isn't broken?? If I could custom order I would order all Lo-Pro for any Ibanez I was buying just my opinion. I have tried the ZR and the edge zero but not the EZ2 and I'm not a big fan much prefer the LO-Pro!!
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM

I can understand that people used to full-floating trems might not like the edge zero, with the ZPS left installed, but for me it's great. changing tunings or string gauges is a breeze. the tuning stability is perfect, nothing to worry about.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM

I love the Edge Zero. Tuning stability is awesome, I only really tune maybe once or twice a month. You can go between standard and drop d with just the fine tuner. No need to unlock the pads by the nut or mess with the trem springs. Also, your double stops will stay in perfect tune. People that say this trem is **** just grew up with something else, you know how people don't like change and all.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
they are different animals... it depends on what you're used to...
Thing is, it's going to be my first FR like bridge. It's my first expensive guitar, if you can call it that. So, the only thing I'm used to is tuning every half an hour on my warped neck chinese GRG170

If it's really just a matter of taste, anything is going to be new to me :/

By the way, the model I'd be buying has the ZPS3, not the plain one. Does that make any difference?

Thanks for the kind replies by the way

Last edited by paison90; 03-30-2011 at 08:52 PM.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM

I picked up my first prestige earlier in the year. RG1570 lmr with the EZ bridge and love it. The trem is great and a fine choice for your first floater. I also like the ZPS system. You can usually get 1570's at a good price, too. Well worth it and one of the best values out there IMO.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM

Sorry for the LONG post, but hopefully someone will find it informative...

With either trem, you NEED (ok really want) locking studs. I've got the locking studs that Rich sells in both of my Edge Pro guitars. I've just got the locking studs that came with my RG2550Z, which I'm tempted to change. With locking studs, the tuning stability is excellent with either trem. Alot of it depends on how well you stretch your strings.

If you're not a wild and crazy trem user, the EZ w/ZPS is great. The ZPS prevents the bridge from diving when bending. So it behaves more like a hard tail...your double stops are stay in tune, and you don't have to over bend to get to the pitch you're after. The only downfall is that pull-ups feel normal, whereas dives are very stiff. So if you go from a pull-up to a dive, you feel the trem hit the ZPS bar and then the trem gets heavier.

If you ARE a wild and crazy trem user, you can remove the ZPS. Removing the ZPS is really simple...it's just a bar and 2 springs. With the ZPS removed, the Edge Zero behaves just like an Edge Pro or any other full-floating trem. It will flutter, and it's MUCH easier to dive. The only real drawback, if you're new to trems, is that when you bend the trem dives. Double-stops won't be in tune, and when you bend you have to move the string alot further than a hardtail or ZPS equipped EZ. It's not harder to bend, you just have to bend further to reach the same pitch.

Sometimes you'll hear people say that if you break a string with the ZPS, the bridge will stay in tune. This is FALSE. The ZPS doesn't work that way. What happens when you break a string? The string side of the trem is weaker than the spring side so the trem drops. It's the same as pulling the trem up, which the ZPS has no effect on.

As far as quality, I think the Edge Pro is a little better. The fine tuners are MUCH smoother and easier to adjust than the Edge Zero. Other than that, I really like the Edge Zero. Mine has stood up to alot of abuse and my RG2550Z w/ the ZPS in is my main guitar.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Vendor

^^^^^^

This.

A few more corrections.

The ZPS in, double stops will not be in perfect tune, they will be in more relative tune. If you look at the tuner, the unbent string will be flat, just not near as much as on a floater so your ear won't hear it as flat.

And with ZPS out, bending the string to pitch is easier than with ZPS in as pulling the bridge forward reduces the tension on the other strings, making it easier to attain the pitch desired.

ZPS in makes it easier to tune as the strings preload against the bar, but kills flutter completely.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The ZPS in, double stops will not be in perfect tune, they will be in more relative tune. If you look at the tuner, the unbent string will be flat, just not near as much as on a floater so your ear won't hear it as flat.
Not PERFECT tune, but close enough that you don't need to bend what would normally be the unbent string like you would on a full-floater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And with ZPS out, bending the string to pitch is easier than with ZPS in as pulling the bridge forward reduces the tension on the other strings, making it easier to attain the pitch desired.
It's not really easier to bend with the ZPS OUT...(corrected)

It may be perceived as being easier because the strings feel slinkier. We all know, on a floating trem, as you bend one string the bridge raises up and releases tension on all strings. This makes it FEEL like it's easier because you CAN bend the string further and easier, but...

With a floating trem, you HAVE to bend the string further to get the string to vibrate at the right frequency. The tension on the string you're bending HAS to be the same to get the same pitch/frequency regardless of whether you're playing a fixed or floating trem.

Last edited by Bones43x; 03-31-2011 at 12:58 AM.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Vendor

You meant "out", but.. You may think physics says it to be so, but it is not. That is part of the "feel" of the trem, and why the OE still to this day has the best feel of all their varients
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 AM

Oops, I did mean out.

I tried mine with the ZPS out, and I put it back in because I find it easier to bend since you don't have to bend the string halfway across the fretboard just to do a whole-step bend! Sure it feels easy, but when you have to bend a string that far it's not. And like I said, either way the tension for that string has to reach the same point to get the same pitch. I guess if you wanted to get REALLY technical you could compensate for the scale lenght when you have to bend that far across the fretboard.

Another example is when you stretch new strings. You can pull strings out alot further on a floating trem than you can on a fixed bridge, but you're still stretching them to the same tension. You just have to pull the strings out that much further on a floating trem to reach the same tension.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode