F spaced pickups for an RG? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

F spaced pickups for an RG?

Hey there, just a quick question. I'm thinking of buying an RG550, and putting some evolutions in it. Which pups do i use? Are any F spaced or standard? Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:34 PM

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: F spaced pickups for an RG?

Thanks, so is that right that I need two F spaced evos, one for bridge and one for neck?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 02:06 PM

Yes, If you have the Edge Trem, you need F spaced.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
Technically, you never really need F-spaced pups.

Cosmetically they look better because the poles line up, but in my own testing, both with meters and with my ears, I've found you don't get any better balance with the strings than with a regular spaced pickup.

Even with the regular spaced, the string falls well within the magnetic field of the pole, and the string disrupts the field in the exact same way when it's vibrating as with the F-spaced pup.

It just looks better having the pole right under the string . . . that's about the only benefit. If you are buying pups, go for the F-spaced, they cost the same, but if you already have regular spaced, don't fret (pun not intended), you're not losing anything by using it.

Mic

qoute

yep, he is right, f-spacing isn't nessicary, it doesn't affect your sound , i have played with non f-spaced pickups in an ibanez and then had f-spaced in the same ibanez later and there was no difference in sound quality
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM

Umm, I had a issue with my old Charvel and put in a Dimazio Humbucker from Hell & Fred, that was not F-spaced, and didnt line up at all, the tone really sucked and seemed to have dead spots, I had them get me a F spaced which was much better and I noticed a difference, but then it was a Charvel not a Ibanez.... Then played my first Jem, and sold both my Charvels to get one. Nothing like a real JEM.

This was before I new of the whole F space issue.

Last edited by bluealien; 09-13-2005 at 08:23 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Gex

The strings get narrower towards the neck, on my RG550s a F spaced bridge and a standard neck humbucker work great, poles line up great.

Tags
edge trem , neck humbucker , spaced pickup , standard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode