Fake ibanez? or not? help me out. please. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Fake ibanez? or not? help me out. please.

hey im new to the sit so hopefully I posted this in the right place and the jemsite community are nice people (theres some horible sites) any way I Would just like some help to signify is this ibanez is fake or not,not botherd either way, just id be cool to know, cheers . heres the pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 AM

Re: Fake ibanez? or not? help me out. please.

Looks okay to me. An Indonesian made RG120.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 05:19 AM

Reviews: 4

Yep it's real.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 AM

wow the first fake korean ibanez rg 120!great find!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
wow the first fake korean ibanez rg 120!great find!
What makes you think it's fake? The body and headstock are the right shape, it has INF pickups and it has the correct serial number.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydogga View Post
What makes you think it's fake? The body and headstock are the right shape, it has INF pickups and it has the correct serial number.
I think he's saying no-one would fake this particular model... Tricky thing humour...
Jim
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
I think he's saying no-one would fake this particular model... Tricky thing humour...
Jim

Truthes. Especially on teh interwebz. Sarcasm in particular can be difficult to pick up on.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Welcome to Jemsite, yep the guitar's real, lower-end RG in apparent good shape. Hey, how'd you get to post photos with so few posts?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:03 PM

ah, INF pups. I had those on an old 350DX. I agree it's the legit dealio.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Welcome to Jemsite, yep the guitar's real, lower-end RG in apparent good shape. Hey, how'd you get to post photos with so few posts?
I just simply uploaded the pics to a website and copy+pasted the link it gave me and the pics appeared. If you had to have a certain amount of posts that would be silly. Cheers.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
Jim
lol...it's like trying to fake a cort!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:20 AM

Reviews: 1

the only thing that i would change in this guitar is the tremolo...
but otherwise the guitar rocks!!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:23 PM

I have a problem with "fakeness".
Okay so today - I went to a pawn shop to see what they had (secondhand, should have good deals, right?) and I saw this...

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7424/nonameng.jpg

... and I was ecstatic. The price was $350-400. The thing was really nice. The pickups had no markings on them (Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, etc), yet the headstock and neck were the typical Ibanez look and shape. The thing that makes it unique (and possibly fake) is the asymmetrical tail. A normal Flying V (Gibson/Ibanez) will stand upright, but seen in the picture, it has to stand at a slant.
I went to Guitar Center after that and played some Ibanezes (sp?) and they had relatively the same feel as that Ibanoz (it said Ibanez on the headstock, but I'll call it Ibanoz haha) except for the strings (Ibanoz's strings were black). And their pickups actually had printings (brands) on them. But the look and feel of the neck was the same. Hmm.
However, when I look at the catalog on the Ibanez website or search for it on a search engine (ibanez v, ibanez flying v, ibanez v NOT gibson, ibanez v fake, etc) nothing comes up with that distinguishing asymmetrical tail.
I asked someone on Yahoo Answers and they replied:
"I didn't think Ibanez made a flying v model, but come to find out they do. So overall quite a unique find. What you may want to watch out for is the pickups though, it may have had some nice brand names in it and had them robbed and replaced with cheapies. It seems like a much older version of something similar to this: http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ibanez-proline-v-blk.jpg"
So I ask... What do you think?
V?
Or no?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 01:16 PM

I know they had the rocket roll and the RR ll, back in the early 80's. and I think they offered one throughout the 70's, very closely resembling the gibson V. Not sure of any others though..
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 PM

So your question is if the Ibanez V is real? It definitely is real, it's a RVX220DX (a 2006 model):

They also had one without pickguard, the RVX220 (a 2005 model):

As for other Ibanez recent V models, the last one was the 2007 VBT700:

(also in black)

That last one was also discontinued after a year, presumably after a lawsuit, but i never saw evidence for that so don't tell your friends. As far as I know these were the only V-like models since the 1986 PL2660 Rhandy Roads lookalike (also presumably discontinued after a lawsuit).

As for the 'robbed' pickups, those RVXs came with Ibanez made Axis 3 and 4 pickups, not much of a loss.

Tags
fake , ibanez , rg series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode