The Family 1960's Les Paul..... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

The Family 1960's Les Paul.....

This one is one of the most rare Gibsons ever made.
It sports the sideways vibrato and is a 1960 Les Paul with a SG body.
A 2 p/u job instead of the latter 3 p/u jobs like the SG...

It is not to be confused with an SG. If you look at the write up on this book in the "Guitar Book" by Tom Wheeler this one is the rarest Gibson to date especially with the finish being white.

Mine in particular does not even have a stamped serial number.

She is a real beauty.....

[IMG]

Let the Good times begin....

Squeeg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Re: The Family 1960's Les Paul.....

Does it have PAF's?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 02:55 PM

Wow looks pretty cool!
congratz!

Do you know the value of it?
always fun to know
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 02:55 PM

Those look like PAFs, but I could be wrong.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 03:26 PM

A piece of history .

Regards

Andrť

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 06:32 PM

I would like to see a pic of the headstock...

As most know, the LP didn't sell for squat so in 1960 they changed the body style to the SG shape. Les didn't like it and put and end to it, hence the new name SG. So, in that respect, it is a SG. But most of the SG type LP's I've seen were the Customs. Most with 3 pickups but I've seen some with 2. All were White, don't know if I've seen any Customs any other color. I see no binding on the neck, and no block inlays. I'd like to see the headstock, that would clear the picture some...

And no serial number? What's up with that?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 08:23 PM

Reviews: 6

if i rememeber correctly les put a stop to it because the neck joint was weak, he didn't want something with that kind of a design flaw to have his name on it. The reason why they're so rare is because the neck snaps off where it meets the body quite easily. Still it is a rather sought after collectors piece, i wouldn't consider it a player tho.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 09:22 PM

Les didn't like the body style. He didn't like the 2 sharp horns. His exact quote, "I was not happy with that guitar. I didn't like the horns, cutaway... Too sharp. Got up fast, you could injure your wrist. I said this guitar should have been okayed by me and it wasn't."

Interesting note though, I have a promo pic of Les posing with a 2 pickup 60 Custom and I've seen an ad with Les and Mary Ford, done in charcoal drawnings, holding LP/SG Customs. He said he didn't like it but there were at least 2 promos done with him and that guitar...

As for that Sideways Vibrola. They look nice, very Art Deco. But were not very functional...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Yah she is pretty rare.
John Long from Long & McQuade has priced that guitar out to be worth anywhere between 20 - 30 Grand.

It does have the PAF's if I stand correctly and the reasons she does not
have a serial number is because, the feeling from a Gibson enthuisiast was that it was either a promo piece made for Les to approve which I doubt or it was back doored out of the Shop.

She is in mint condition except for a little yellowing........

I think another reason she is really rare is because Pete townsend used to smash one a night on stage.

It's definetly not too shabby.
My dad has the original gold top les paul and black beauty.
I geuss it paid to be a kid at the right era.....

Good Times.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

a few more.....

[IMG]

and my favourite player with his geetar....

& my fav!!!!

Good Times bros!!!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 01:55 AM

Nice vintage piece, Stratosqueeg.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 11:51 AM

Pretty cool Standard, no doubt about that. I was hoping to see the gold silkscreened Les Paul Model logo on the headstock. Nice guitar...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Hello, Thanks again she is a true Jem, LOL in a manner of speaking.

I was not aware of that silk screen for that era of Les paul.
I know if you look inside "The guitar book" by Tom Wheeler published in 1978.
It has this very same guitar stated as one of the most rare ibsons to date.
The picture from head to toe is identical. The reason you won't see the block inlays is because this particular guitar was done with the crown ones instead.
It was supposed to be that way.

Being a 1960 Les Paul with a SG body makes it unique. You were right Les Paul hated it and wanted his name off of it and that is why it was on a hiatus for a few years before they agreed and came out with again but this time as as an SG.

To be honest she sounds great, especially to play it through my old marshall cab. But being at this day and age and the style I'm in, even if she wasn't worth the $$$ I still prefer my guitars with Floyds......

This one was obtained in 1980 at a garage sale that a little old lady was selling her late husbands instruments. I was at the right time, at the right place all for $500 which I thought back then was wee to high for me but hey it's about helping a widow out right?...... who knew?

It's funny it reminds me of my buddy actually. He used to date this girl many years ago. Now mind you we grew up in the country and one day he was hanging with his chick and for some stupid reason flipping through a magazine, he saw a picture of his favourite car. She took a glimpse and said in a real calm voice "I know where a car like that is".
Sure enough she showed him and he nearly ****! He approached the old farmer
that she used to baby sit for or whatever and literally bought the car for $5 grand. The farmer thought $5 grand for a slightly beat all original dusty vehichle was too much but then again being nearly a 40 year old car who wouldn't, right??? Well I still see my buddy from time to time, he lives in cambridge now and he still takes me for a ride once in a while.
It took him 29 pieces of carpet for the final touch to fully restore his dream car.

I've never in my life enjoyed a 63 spilt window corvette like I have his......
So every time I think of my little treasure, I always think about a vacuum sales guy who flipping through a magazine one day, ended up with his dream car!!!!! He was offered $80 grand for it 2 summers ago but happily declined.

Good Times.......

Squeeg!

Last edited by stratosqueeg; 09-25-2005 at 02:33 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlame
Does it have PAF's?
At that time it sure did!

I know the price of a 50s PAF is a couple thousand dollars!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosqueeg
I think another reason she is really rare is because Pete townsend used to smash one a night on stage.
The guitars that Pete Townsend used to smash were the SG Specials with P-90's. They are very, very fragile to begin with. Nowadays he smashes Claptop model Stratocasters

If you want an accurate appraisal of the instrument's worth, you really should get it from George Gruhn. It would be worth doing simply to have for home insurance purposes.

Tags
block inlays , les paul , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode