Favorite unusual RG models? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Favorite unusual RG models?

There's got to be a couple million black or white RG550s out there; ditto for black or silver 570s. I thought it would be fun to see the most interesting and good looking RG models that didn't sell in large numbers.

My favorites:

RG517. In the mid 1990s, retro 1970s nostalgia was at an all-time high, and Ibanez cashed in by offering glammed out, very heavy metal flake finishes on a set of RGs that were, in every other way, just RG570s. They were listed as RG517s in 1996 and were made RG570s in the 1997 catalog. Then they disappeared. My buddy who was a dealer at the time remember an Ibanez rep saying that the metal flake had turned out to be really difficult to use and was prone to clogging up the spraying equipment. Available in blue and green in the states, and apparently also purple in other markets.

RG770DXVM. Offered for only one year, this is the rarest of the super-tricked out 770DX models. If you love purple and maple fretboards, this is pretty much the holy grail. It has all the trappings of the golden age of Ibanez guitars--original wizard neck, lo pro edge, cosmo chrome, paint-matching headstock, original neck joint, paint-matching inlays, paint-matching IBZ-USA pickups, clear pickguard.

RG570FM & RG570CT. Offered a few times throughout the 1990s, these guitars came in a variety of trans finishes. I think of them as what the Premium guitars *ought* to be like--trans finish over flamed maple veneer, original edge and lo pro edge trems, original wizard necks.

RG670. This one's a bit of a mystery to me. Apparently, in 1994, you could buy an RG with a trans blue burst, gold hardware, and an ash body. Here she is:

So, what do you say, what RGs didn't get enough attention when they were available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:11 PM

Re: Favorite unusual RG models?

Wow, love those flake RG570s. Makes me want to buy a used one and try my hand at a rattle can paint job!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:29 PM

Reviews: 2

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm a fan!!!
Now that I have a black one I appreciate these.
what is that color called? Its kinda cool.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:23 PM

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
An RG760 in Heather Pearl? Very nice. Reminds me of classic Thunderbird roadsters in Dusk Rose...

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post

The white/gold one especially. Every time I'm in Japan I'm on the hunt for one of those.

The RG 620 in blue burst can come and live here if it wants, too!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

My local GC in North Houston had one like this a few years back--totally beat to hell and back too. It had pencil eraser sized chunks of wood missing from the body and a mean stress crack behind the nut. But they still wanted like $850 for it in the used section. It sat there for a long time. I think they eventually ended up blowing it out for a couple hundred dollars. But you could tell that, at one time, it had been a really great guitar.

EDIT: slightly different pattern.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Ohhh god..... I forgot about the paisleys!!!

Still, the best "one of a kind" finish on an RG goes to IbanezDeamons RG560

[email protected] likes this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
An RG760 in Heather Pearl? Very nice. Reminds me of classic Thunderbird roadsters in Dusk Rose...

LOL.... I think I like the T-bird better!!!!!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Obviously, there's tons of fun J-Customs. I was always fond of the RG-Metal. I like it even better than the JEM90HAM.
[email protected] likes this.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 PM

[/QUOTE]

I think I own this one now.....
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 PM

Reviews: 1

This is one of the best sounding and playing Ibanez guitars I've ever had. My fixes are scalloped frets 21-24, Dimarzio FRED for the bridge, IBZ/USA C2 middle and a Evolution neck. Had gold hardware but since have changed it to cosmo hardware with Lo-pro Edge. This guitar does it all from Floyd to Megadeth. It is a 1990 RG770FM Cherry Burst with '89 serial on the neck. Probably the heaviest RG I've had.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
This is one of the best sounding and playing Ibanez guitars I've ever had. My fixes are scalloped frets 21-24, Dimarzio FRED for the bridge, IBZ/USA C2 middle and a Evolution neck. Had gold hardware but since have changed it to cosmo hardware with Lo-pro Edge. This guitar does it all from Floyd to Megadeth. It is a 1990 RG770FM Cherry Burst with '89 serial on the neck. Probably the heaviest RG I've had.

Wow-that's beautiful! I bet it looks a lot better with the cosmo hardware too.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 11:44 PM
rgx

rg548lbu - that was late 90's ash bodied model with direct mounted V7-s1-v8, original Edge and Wizard II neck.

Here's the pic (unfortunately not mine):

And here's me playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UgRcdYS8X4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode