Fender 1952 telecaster question!! Help please :) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Fender 1952 telecaster question!! Help please :)

Hey guys,

I always wanted a 1952 vintage fender telecaster but I've just found out that it has a gloss neck

Whenever I've played gloss on fenders before it feels really sticky and horrible to me.

Is this something that I should let effect my decision in getting one or not? I hear with playing time it wears down.

I believe the hot rod version is a satin finish

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 AM

Re: Fender 1952 telecaster question!! Help please :)

If it works for you, then just sand the neck and apply tung oil instead. Kind of money-out-of-the-window for re-sale value, but what the hell, you only live once.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Ever consider building one yourself? I just finished building 2, one for myself and one for a bandmate. It was very easy and rewarding, and they cost between 250-300 bucks for me to make them. The one that I built for myself is a '52 style, and while I happen to like the gloss finish on Fender necks, there were several '52 re-issue necks on the bay that had a satin finish when I purchased mine. Not only did I save a ton of money by just buying parts (I got everything from www.guitarpartsonline.com and the bay) but I was able to buy the parts I like, instead of dealing with whatever crap fender decided to throw on it.

If this sounds like something you're not interested in, then sanding and oiling the neck is your best bet.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 AM

Sandpaper is your friend.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 01:18 AM

Nothing a little sand paper and elbow grease can't solve.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 PM

I have one. The finish will smooth out over time, but if you cant wait you can knock down the gloss pretty easily. You dont have to take all the finish off, just knock down the gloss. I think some guys use very fine steel wool, or very fine sandpaper. It doesnt take much.

Also, if you're looking into the Hot Rod version, remember it will have a flatter, more modern fretboard radius, mini-humbucker, and hotter single coil. Depending on the sound you are going for, it may or may not be for you. I bought the more period correct version, with the 7.25" radius and vintage pickups.

Good luck, you'll enjoy either one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode