Fender closes down Hamer - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Fender closes down Hamer

http://www.vintageguitar.com/12816/f...er-production/

Sad to see, they were some of my absolute favorite 80's guitars.

jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM

Re: Fender closes down Hamer

Wasn't this announced a few month back? It's too bad, but Hamer has become irrelevant and I dont see why Fender would keep them after taking into consideration the other companies they hold.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM

Reviews: 21

Fender and Gibson should just launch their nukes at one another and settle things.
It's amazing how many brands these guys own.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM

That's a shame - I love the simplicity of Hamers (not the shreddy type guitars). I really want an older studio . . .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM

I liked a lot of the Hamer stuff. I don't think Fender had a need for the shreddy stuff - they have Charvel to compete with Ibanez - but the Studio & the Newporters etc would have been nice additions to thier VAST branding/product line.

Not that I really care of course, I've got 3 new models launching in two weeks to worry about. But it is interesting.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Fender closes down Hamer

Pity... at least I still have my Chaparrals!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaas View Post
I liked a lot of the Hamer stuff. I don't think Fender had a need for the shreddy stuff - they have Charvel to compete with Ibanez - but the Studio & the Newporters etc would have been nice additions to thier VAST branding/product line.

Not that I really care of course, I've got 3 new models launching in two weeks to worry about. But it is interesting.
It's not like FMIC really sought out Hamer to purchase them and shut them down. They really just bought the entire Kaman Music company to get their distribution system and all the accessories for instruments that they sold - like reeds, cleaners, all sorts of things for band instruments, orchestra instruments, etc. Hamer was just a tiny throw-in as part of Kaman.

Besides, Hamer had been slowly grinding to a halt for a few years before FMIC wound up buying Kaman Music. I've read stories about Jol Danzig, during his last years with Hamer, refusing to do certain custom orders that he "just didn't want to do" - things like using the boomerang inlays. I can understand them refusing to do any of the shredders; they didn't bring the tooling for them to Connecticut when they relocated from Illinois in 1997.

Hamer in CT had become a much smaller shop to begin with - they were doing 3-5 guitars per day in CT. That's just about what Tom Anderson does in terms of production. Then Hamer had a huge price jump in the mid-2000s (again - this was before FMIC ever entered the picture) which really stuck a knife in the company. They haven't had any serious production there since say 2008; I believe some said they only built about 15-20 guitars in total for 2012; that used to be their weekly production in the late 90s. Also Kaman really diluted the brand by bringing in lower-cost imports under the same name - it's hard to have your USA line be "super-premium" while you also have a fairly low-end line under the same name (they should have kept the "Slammer" name on all the really low-end ones; they kept using, dropping, then again using "Slammer" during the last 20 years). I also read that any orders they currently had on the books will be built; they will just trickle out over 2013.

Frankly it's surprising that FMIC kept the company on life support as long as they did. At least in this case the luthiers aren't losing their jobs; the Connecticut plant is pretty busy building the USA Guilds (and the few remaining USA Ovation models).

It's a shame Hamer kind of got lost over the years; I had a 1996 Studio model that I picked up as NOS store stock in 1998. It was a great little guitar that I wish I had kept - likely would have saved me a few thousand dollars over the years chasing other set necks. Unfortunately for me I never cared for their fatter neck shape that they used starting in the early 2000s; I preferred their pre-CT shape.

Last edited by John C; 01-11-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Tags
hamer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode