Fender going public - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Fender going public

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation has announced a $200 million IPO.

msnbc/ Reuters:

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...llion-offering

Apparently they're going public because they are in debt. It got me thinking, who else is public? Gibson, Hoshino (Ibanez), PRS, Martin, Taylor . . . all privately owned. Fender will be the biggest public guitar company, but I wonder if there are any others.

Peace

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Fender going public

Not good. A new CBS area?

-Wolfram
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 7

Crap. I better get one while the getting is good. The writing was on the wall last year when they started branding chinese instruments with the Fender name.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulramon1992 View Post
Crap. I better get one while the getting is good. . . .
This news doesn't necessarily mean that quality will take a nose dive. There are plenty of public corporations with good leadership.

Having said that, I'm planning to get one while the getting is good . . .

Peace

Mike
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM

Not too fussed about fender themselves, their guitars never seemed to be better than the copetitions attemps at the same things.

But I am worried about what this means for jackson...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
. . .
But I am worried about what this means for jackson...
And the brands of Guild, Gretsch, Charvel, EVH, Groove Tubes, Ovation, Takamine, Hamer, Latin Percussion, Sabian, and Genz Benz, among others. 36,000 products in their catalog.

Peace

Mike
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 PM

maybe it was all the royalties on the 1.5 trillion signature models they have that put them in debt LOL
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 PM

Of course they have debt. They just bought a whole bunch of companies, moved their headquarters and expanded their factories. Debt is just how companies operate. Have none of you got mortgages or car loans?

They're using half of the planned $200 million to reduce their debt. They don't have specific plans for the rest yet but they said they might use some of the remaining $100 million for further acquisitions. They had a big paint supply problem in 2010 when their main supplier closed down, which put them into a production backlog (shutting down Corona for four months then taking another three before they were back to full capacity).

Also, this year they plan to invest a lot more in promoting the other brands - I'm sure you're all seeing this already in the increased product range and promotion of Charvel, who even had their own dedicated section at NAMM this year on the main floor instead of up in the Fender room.

It's all in the S-1. http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...htm#tx293340_8

Last edited by Petie; 03-09-2012 at 04:52 AM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
maybe it was all the royalties on the 1.5 trillion signature models they have that put them in debt LOL
Interesting item about Fender's royalty deals from the S-1 (in the 'Risk Factors' section about the importance of endorsements to marketing, but if you're not used to S-1 forms please don't mistake 'risk factors' for 'things that are in danger of happening):

...our Signature Artist program is a significant component of our marketing program. Through this program, famous musicians provide specifications for instruments bearing their signature, endorse their signature instrument and permit us to use their images in selected advertisements or on our websites, typically in exchange for royalties based on sales of their signature instruments. We do not have long-term contracts with any of these musicians, and these musicians are not restricted from endorsing our competitorsí products or required to use our products exclusively.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Hey Petie, man, this is the internet, facts and verifiable source documents are not welcome here. Can we please resume our usual anonymous speculation, unfounded rumors, and inflammatory rhetoric?!??

Peace

Mike
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 PM

I WAS JOKING LOL looks like we found some fender fans
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 PM

I know someone who works for a wood supply company. He said they used to make body blanks for Fender and Gibson, and stopped since "they don't pay their bills on time"
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 PM

Does anyone else think Fender's stock is overpriced? My friend's cousin's neighbor has Squier stock and it's just as good at 1/3 the price.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Does anyone else think Fender's stock is overpriced? My friend's cousin's neighbor has Squier stock and it's just as good at 1/3 the price.
Aaaaahahahhahahahaha!
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post

Anyone can make a fender body. it's not that hard. I think that's why they're in debt, because they charge all this money for something anyone can copy. EASILY. Only reason Gibson isn't in debt is because they sue everyone who tries to make anything remotely similar to a Gibson.

Tags
fender , ipo , public

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode