Fender Heartfield Talon - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Fender Heartfield Talon

We talked a bit about the Yamaha Pacifica, and it's slight relation(the Rich Lasner connection) to the Ibanez RG. Now, how about the Talon, which was actually(supposedly?) manufactured by Ibanez, for Fender?

I've always been intrigued by these guitars. Have any of you had any experience with them? Besides the obvious superficial things, such as the body shape(and functional like the AANJ), how do you all think they compared to the Ibanez RG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:04 PM
RCB

I dont think Ibanez made them for fender. I think they were made at the same Fujigen factory in japan (where most MIJ Ibanez are made).

I owned one of them for a couple of years. About the same quality of a RG550, with better pups and original Floyd Rose. IMHO they sounded better than a 550, but I prefer the edge over any other Floyd Rose. So I believe they are at the same level. I make take the heartfield over a regular 550 because of the pups.

I d take a 770DX over a heartfield anyday though.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I figured that people would prefer the Edge over the Floyd, so that's no suprise!

The Heartlfield had real Dimarzios, didn't it?

I'll have to see if I can dig up some of my old Fender Frontlines.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Ibanez made those... glen
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:30 PM

I've had one for a few years that's 22 frets. So it's different from the RG in that way. I'm going to try to sell it today, not because it isn't a great guitar, but because I have to raise some money. Most of them were 24 frets, and part of the reason I liked this one was because it was 22. So the neck pickup was located farther up.

Vinnie Moore played them when he left Ibanez. The neck shape is a little different. The marketing angle at that time was that they had done "studies" that showed the flat back of the Wizard-style necks was comfortable and fast, but induced player fatigue over long playing periods. So the Heartfield has a little more curve to it while being about as thin as the Wizard. I like it. If you've ever played the first Wizards from the 540 Sabers its a lot like those.

They had Dimarzios that were "stock" so they had different numbers on them but the Dimarzio cross reference chart will tell you what they are. I think they are PAF Pro neck and Super 3 bridge but I can't remember. Mine has an OFR but I can fit an Edge in the cavity, too. I've had an edge on it in the past.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:32 PM
RCB

Quote:
I make take the heartfield over a regular 550 because of the pups.
I meant: I may take.....

The one thing I didnt like about the heartfield was the colour. It was a kind of sparkle cream/white.

Quote:
I wonder why did they make Fender a guitar that was meant to rival the the RG?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Thanks, Glen! It's been so long since I even thought about these guitars, that I couldn't remember if it was fact, or just something that my rotting brain came up with.

Thanks for sharing, Frank! I've actually been thinking about getting one, but all I can find are the 22 fret models(there's two on eBay right now), and I want the 24. Figures! I need to stop buying crap for a while, anyway... I'm worse that a freaking heroin addict, when it comes to guitars!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:39 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB
I wonder why did they make Fender a guitar that was meant to rival the the RG?
Ibanez had people working for them with intelligence at the time they realized "fender" market was not that of ibanez & i'm sure they were reimbursed well.

i always felt they were two different markets (ibanez players wouldn't buy the Fender and vice versa)... glen
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
i always felt they were two different markets (ibanez players wouldn't buy the Fender and vice versa)... glen
I do, but then again, I'm nobody, so I don't count!

Really, I think your right, though. Alot of people wouldn't buy an Ibanez, simply because it was an Ibanez(and vice-versa). By putting the Fender name on it, these same people would be more open to that style of guitar. Ibanez would get a big bite out of it, and Fender moved more guitars that way.

Well, must not have been THAT many, since they didn't make them for very long.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:55 PM

It clearly didn't work, from a marketing standpoint. I think they came out too late in the game, and then the music industry started changing. Plus it was so disorganized. For awhile they were just Heartfields, then Heartfield "by Fender" and then a lot of them, mostly the basses, got absorbed into the Fender line. Incidentally there's a white pearl 24 fretter at a local store here.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:01 PM
site founder 0% owner

bingo... waaay too late... glen
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
It clearly didn't work, from a marketing standpoint. I think they came out too late in the game, and then the music industry started changing.
Yeah, and I've always hated this whole retro revival thing. Old, or traditional, style guitars are cool, but it really killed most of the cool, new styles that we once had.

Too bad that we couldn't have it all, instead of trends completely taking things over.

Quote:
Incidentally there's a white pearl 24 fretter at a local store here.
Must... Resist... Asking... You... About... It... Must... Resisssssst!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:27 PM

Reviews: 6
They also had slightly shorter scale lengths: 25.1 instead of 25.5 for Ibanez models. The Elan's came with ebony fretboards as well. The higher end models also came with Floyd Rose Pro trems (nice lo profile floyds). Nice guitars--I have 2 and 1 bass.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Interesting that the they had the shorter scale. I always assumed that they were 25 1/2", like an RG, and it was the other Heartfields that had the shorter scale!

Here are a couple of sites that I found.

http://www.heartfield-central.com/

http://www.strat-central.com/talon.htm
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
Quote:
Incidentally there's a white pearl 24 fretter at a local store here.
Must... Resist... Asking... You... About... It... Must... Resisssssst!
It even has the sharkfin inlays, so it must be a Talon IV, I mean, not that you care, because I know you don't. :P

Tags
body shape , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , ibanez models , neck pickup , neck shape , paf pro , paf pro neck , pro neck , scale lengths , sharkfin inlays , vinnie moore , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode