Fender/Jackson merger? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Fender/Jackson merger?

Word is that Fender is in the process of acquiring Jackson, lock, stock & barrel. Looks like what has become commonplace in the automotive industry is starting to leak over into the music industry as well! The merger will definitely give Fender a little more of an "edge" that they haven't really had in quite awhile.

Opinion/thought anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 11:15 AM

Wouldn't surprise me. Gibson's been growing and diversifying through acquisition for years. Fender's gradually been doing it as well, but not as quickly. They've bought a few brands, including Guild, DeArmond and now Gretsch. Jackson would be an odd fit, but would give them a brand through which they can market more contemporary instruments, keeping the Fender name for their more traditional designs.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:10 PM

Odd combo.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:13 PM

Fender hasnt done anything noteworthy in years. Expect them to close the jackson custom shop if this happens
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
seems inevitable, but ultimately pointless to consumers. Like Fender taking over Floyd Rose. Jackson has been all but pointless to guitarists since Ibanez reinvented itself in the late 80s. Fender needs nothing more than the brand name to sell to "vintage zombies" for over a decade.

Seems like Fender can hurt it's competition more by swallowing up Jackson than they can use it to improve it's own lineup of guitars. Maybe i'm wrong... could care less either way ...glen
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:24 PM

Just some points to add. Look what gibson did to steinberger and Kramer. Yuck is all I have to say. Well if its a MERGER, not a takeover I guess that would be different. But who knows what will happen in the end
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I use "merger" only because that's how Fender likes to term the purchase Fender is buying Jackson, period. It's not a hostile action though, so "takeover" isn't really the correct term. Same as with Fender's acquisition of Gretsch: they'd have you think that the two companies have merely "joined forces", but in reality, if Fender is taking over production, distribution and marketing of the everything Gretsch...it's a buyout.

The worst that could happen is that the acquisition of Jackson could possible breath a little bit of life into Fender's currently stale lineup. Plus...the Fender-headstock San Dimas-type models will be LEGAL!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
The worst that could happen is that the acquisition of Jackson could possible breath a little bit of life into Fender's currently stale lineup.
No, the worst that could happen is that Fender "pulls a Guild" and "absorbs" the Jackson Custom Shop into it's own facilities... That would really be the end of Jackson in all but name. Just as real Guilds are made in Rhode Island, not California, contemporary Jackson's are built in Ontario, not Fullerton. You can put any name on the headstock you want, but if it's coming out of Fullerton it's a Fender. Don't get me wrong tho', I know Fender can make a good guitar, but Jackson USA guitars are generally at a level of quality significantly above the run-of-the-mill Fender American Series Strat. I like both companies and own guitars made by each, but I'd rather see Jackson USA remain independent of the Fender Musical Instrument conglomerate...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 01:12 PM

Well its not going to though unfortunately. Right now we cant be sure of anything thats going to happen, but I dont expect it to improve either line.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:57 PM

Please dont start a thread like this on PURE conjecture!

I happen to work closely with Jackson and talked to one of the dep managers yesterday on the topic and according to him, this thread is MOOT.

That doesnt mean it cant/wont happen, but as of right now...
this is pure conjecture.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Actually, this thread was NOT started on "pure conjecture". It was started based on information that I obtained from an EXTREMELY reliable source.

Besides, do you seriously think that managers, etc. would have any clue regarding anything of this nature? Welcome to corporate America- managers and other employees are the LAST to ever know of something like this. Presidents, CEO's and accountants are most likely the only people who really know the details. And a few select other individuals.

With NAMM only a few months away, I'd say it's quite likely that something will be announced in January.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:08 PM

Im with vaijem on this. When I worked for hp we denied forever that we were merging with compaq. Its basically to keep stocks from radically changing value. They wont tell ANYONE anything until the ball drops . Just my two cents
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:06 PM

its all cool.
I actually should have rephrased my comment.
It wasnt a dep manager, it was the head man, number 1 in command at the DFW location.

anyways, its at the very least speculative. besides, my contact would be one of those ppl in the corperate area that would be informed.
Its always possible he HAD to deny it to me... stock and all...

Nevertheless, we'll soon see.
I sure HOPE DEEPLY that it wont end up true..
that would really stink!

anyways, I wasnt trying to start a war with ya.
we obviously both have good sources and one of the two are gonna be corect LOL

peace!!

Scott
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

No worries at all! I sincerely hope that it does NOT go through. I'm anything but a Jackson fan, but...I'm even less a fan of huge conglomerates buying out the "little" guys. It makes me cringe that Fender has acquired the rights to Gretsch, but I can see how that move might be better for Gretsch in the end. I don't think Jackson would benefit from being purchased by any other company-they seem to be doing just fine on their own

(Although, I must admit..the thought of Ibanez buying Jackson makes my
inner-dialogue burst out laughing! Now THAT's poetic justice! If ever there were a rumor to start on the Jackson forum...that one would probably get you the most death threats in return! LOL )
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 11:38 AM

I'm not a huge Jackson fan either, but I hate to see it happen. I personally think Fender has one of the worst quality control departments of anybody out there. In order to find a Strat that is keepable, you have to play a few hundred. Every guitar is extremely different... hope that doesn't carry over to the Jackson stuff.

On a side note... I have a friend who builds custom guitars and distributes nationally. Awesome made-to-fit stuff in the style of Fenders. (read: 10"radius, vintage style bridge, etc...). The headstock looks nothing like Fender, but he's gotten a letter from the Fender attorneys atleast once a year for the last 5 years threatening him with legal action if he doesn't stop using his headstock design. He claims that they do this to every custom builder... it means nothing, it's just a "shot across the bow" if you will... to make sure no one will think about doing it. He said he compaired his letter to the one sent to Robin and Tom Anderson guitars and they are exactly the same.

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , darren wilson , floyd rose , headstock design , jackson custom shop , jeff beck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode