Fender Malmsteen Strats - Info Needed - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Fender Malmsteen Strats - Info Needed

I've got an offer to trade for a Fender USA Malmsteen Strat. Problem is I've never laid hands on one. Looking for any info, praise, slams, or anything anyone can tell me about these Fenders. It's a '97, candy apple red with a rosewood fretbaord. I'm espicially interested in how they sound. Does the HS3 in the bridge sound like a humbucker? Or does it sound like a single coil trying to sound like a humbucker? Also, is the scalloped board that usefull? I'll admit, that is a big attraction for me. Any insight is appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:31 PM

Reviews: 5
Fender Malmsteen Strats

For my ears, the single coils in Yngwie's strat don't sound like humbuckers, but if you like his tone, it's the way to go. Sounds awsome through a Marshall stack.

The scalloped fretboard, when you get used to it, can be faster than non-scalloped fretboards. But I admit it, it's hard to play in the beginning.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:09 PM

Reviews: 2
Fender Malmsteen Strats

Do they still make the cheap ones?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:00 AM

Fender Malmsteen Strats

if you're used to ibanez guitars, then the neck will feel fat at first. * don't forget that you can always scallop your own frets!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:42 PM

Fender Malmsteen Strats

My brother recently got a Malmsteen strat. As mentioned before, the pu's have a Malmsteen sound and don't expect them to sound like a humbucker. It's a cool guitar, it took me awhile getting use to not being able to feel the fret board on the 1-9 frets.
My brother had to order his, we could not find a new or used one anywhere in the Atlanta area.
If the price is fair, get it. It will make an interesting addition to your collection.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Fender Malmsteen Strats

I don't know if they still make used cheap ones or not. This one only has 21 frets. Do the USA Malmsteen Strats have 21 frets??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 12:35 AM

Fender Malmsteen Strats

Ok the malmsteen starts have 21 frets on all of them. The guitar comes with yngwie pickups in the neck and middle posistions, and the HS3 in the bridge. The best looking one in my opinion is the vintage white (actually a light yellow but really sweet looking) with the maple fretboard. It just has that classic look to it, and if your going for this instrument classic is what your in for.
The HS3 sounds like a single coil with way less noise. The reson for this is hey its not very hot. It has almost half of what other dimarzios output is. The result was a controlable single coil. Plan on adding a whole ton of distortion/ or overdrive to this baby, but every note you play is gonna ring clear. Also the thing is stock set up for light botom (9's) heavy top (11's) Now the previous owner might have already changed it if they did make sure they are at least a set of 10's. Adjust the tremlo so it does not sit flush to the wood. That way if it ever goes out of tune while giging (ussually after diping the bar) you can just pull back a bit on the bar which will ussually clear all that up. The brass nut helps a lott with this also.
The scalloped neck will feel weird at first. Some people complain that it hurts there fingers. Unlike most people tend to think, a scalloped fretboard does not feel lighter or more quick. The reson I sugest .10's is the average player will bend a set of .09's out of tune when playing really fast, or using complex chords. The scallopes help your grip on the stings. So when soloing in those really tight areas of your fretboard you can now grip with ease. Hopefully making you a little faster, and a lot more confidant. *If you ask me it is a really sweet axe. Just a really drastic change from the norm. A lot of people cant change back once the get use to it, but i havent had a problem.

hope I helped
buzz
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 12:54 AM

Fender Malmsteen Strats

I played a used Sonic Blue one at a local guitar store once. *First of all, you have to MAKE SURE that the scalloped board is your cup of tea before you make the plunge. *The guy who bought the one that I played traded it in a month after he special ordered it because of the neck. *

Secondly, I think the pickups on those sound horrible. *Have you ever heard the expression, "My name is Mud?"
Well, that is what these pickups should be saying. *They sound incredibly muddy to me.

The last thing is, these guitars have a brass nut. *This does change the sound a little bit. *

I personally hated the guitar, but I am not into Malmsteen either, so you decide.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 10:38 AM

Fender Malmsteen Strats

The Ritchie Blackmore signature strat has a scalopped fingerboard too. But the sclaoping is not that deep as in YJM strat. It's easier to play and to adapt.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Fender Malmsteen Strats

Thanks for the info guys. I've owned many Strats but never a Malmsteen so that's why I posted. A guy wanted me to trade my DSY for it. I decided to pass. No Strat has ever stayed at my house for a long period of time so I think I'll stick with the Jems. Thanks...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 01:38 PM

Fender Malmsteen Strats

Wise decision. Malmsteen strat cannot come close to a JEM in built quality, sound and looks.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2001, 10:23 AM

Fender Malmsteen Strats

alienx,

Well as I have a YJM Strat and an Ibanez RG3120 Prestige then may I shed some light.

The YJM is a million light years away from the Nez in terms of playing, sound, action and fit. *They are both well built guitars, but are at odds over their musical styles. *The Nez excels at Vai, Satch Metal stuff, whilst the YJM is better for older rock e.g. 70's and Malmsteen stuff, single note definition on the YJM is superb, with the RG3120 being a little blurred around the edges [humbuckers]. *The YJM pickups are the lowest output s/coils going [sound like *a phat low output s/coils].

The necks are world aparts, the YJM is not too far off the baseball bat Jeff Beck Strat whilst the RG is a thin job, both are perfectly playable but the YJM does require a little extra effort.

The YJM will be worth more than a Nez in the longterm though.

I would go for the YJM personally but then it does suit my playing style and music orientation better.

Tags
candy apple red , fret board , ibanez guitars , jeff beck , jeff beck strat , malmsteen strat , maple fret , maple fretboard , ritchie blackmore , scalloped fretboard , scalloped neck , signature strat , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode