Fender neck on Jem / RG? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Fender neck on Jem / RG?

Has anyone tried putting a Fender replacement neck on an old-style Jem or an RG? I took an old Warmoth neck and put it against my FP. It *looks* like it should work. The screw holes are in the same place and the neck plate is the same. Looks like it should intonate properly.

The only issue, I think, is the neck pocket. I was hoping someone had tried this before I go and pull the neck off of my Jem. :P

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 PM
tTz

Re: Fender neck on Jem / RG?

It's been done on a JS, I've seen photos, but not sure how it would work on a JEM or RG. The neck would have to have the same number of frets as the original (can you get 24 fret Fender necks?), and the same scale length obviously. Not sure about neck radius etc though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tTz
It's been done on a JS, I've seen photos, but not sure how it would work on a JEM or RG.
Yeah, I remember the JS. Someone posted a pic here a few weeks ago.

Quote:
The neck would have to have the same number of frets as the original (can you get 24 fret Fender necks?), and the same scale length obviously. Not sure about neck radius etc though.
You wouldn't need the same number of frets as long as the necks attached at the same place. But yeah, Warmoth (for example) will make 24 fret necks.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 04:37 PM

warmoth says their necks won't fit ibanez guitars, especially rg style guitars. i think it has to do with the way ibanez does their heel joint with the 24th fret. on the newer ibanezes, the 24th fret is lined up with the back of the heel. if you ask warmoth to make you a 24 fret neck, they will make the additional 2 frets hang over. so you have to know what the neck pocket looks like on the jem. i'm not familiar with jem neck pockets, but i'd call warmoth and talk to them about it...but i don't think you'll like the answer they'll give you.

however, i noticed the necks on the rt450s i own have overhanging 24th frets, so you never know...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Gex

I saw a Strat neck on an old pre-AANJ RG550 on **** a while back. The old RG's Wizard necks were really 22 fret strat style necks with a 24 fret overhang. So strat necks will fit right on, they'res just gonna be an ugly recess were the overhang usually is but if that doesnt bother you, go for it.

Warmoth says their necks wont fit the new Ibanez guitars with the All Access Neck joint, and they wont.

But they WILL fit the OLD, pre 1993 RG and JEM bodies, that do NOT have the AANJ. Its not gonna look professional, but it will work/fit/intonate just fine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
But they WILL fit the OLD, pre 1993 RG and JEM bodies, that do NOT have the AANJ. Its not gonna look professional, but it will work/fit/intonate just fine.
Cool, that's what I hoping. Warmoth does make 24 fret necks, though, with the overhang, like I said.

I'm kind of excited now.

Tags
access neck joint , fret neck , fret necks , ibanez guitars , jem neck , neck joint , neck plate , neck pockets , neck radius , strat style , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode