Fender Necks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Fender Necks

So, I've played Fenders on and off for 6 years, and my only electric rn is a Tele (i'm getting a JEM, no worries)

But a little birdie (guitar reparist ) told me all Fender necks are made by Warmoth now, with the exclusion of custom shop and overseas models. Anyone know more about this? This guy is a friend and all, but he's been known to stretch the truth.

Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Fender Necks

eh, i can see them doing it every now and then, but only on the japanese or mexican ones.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM

I seriously doubt that Warmoth have the facilities to keep up with the Fender demand. I'm fairly sure Fender are pumping out 1000's of guitars a week.

I have a fender strat and 3 warmoth neck guitars and the warmoths do feel different from the Fender however the specs on each neck are different so its an apples to oranges comparison.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I figured he was stretching the truth.

I have heard, though, that Fender doesn't make necks in Mexico. My uncle lives in Ensenada, and one of his friends works at the Fender factory and he says they don't make any necks there. Apparently, they craft and finish bodies and have necks shipped in from California. I actually think this could be true. I've played low end American Fenders and the necks are remarkably similar to the Mexican ones.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulramon1992 View Post
Yeah, I figured he was stretching the truth.

I have heard, though, that Fender doesn't make necks in Mexico. My uncle lives in Ensenada, and one of his friends works at the Fender factory and he says they don't make any necks there. Apparently, they craft and finish bodies and have necks shipped in from California. I actually think this could be true. I've played low end American Fenders and the necks are remarkably similar to the Mexican ones.
I worked at a fender dealer for a few years, and that's pretty much what the sales rep told us.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I worked at a fender dealer for a few years, and that's pretty much what the sales rep told us.
SO IT'S TRUE!!! This means my Fender neck is American!

Kinda weird they do it that way. In hindsight it makes me laugh at all the people claiming the inferior quality of the mexican necks on forums across the interwebs. A side note: Whenever I stop by a music store when I'm visiting the family in Mexico, Mexican Fenders cost $100-200 more than in America...which would mean they are exporting them from Ensenada and then re-importing them to Mexico. A corporate Fail?

I think yes.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 AM

I dont think they send finished necks. They may just do all the cnc work here then ship the parts. I know they send the bodies down to be finished because there is no EPA in Mexico so they can pollute all they want and get cheap labor. Fender was had rolling the frets on the American guitar for a while, I haven't been following Fender much lately but it's entirely possible that even if the necks are cut in the same place, the quality could be different. Fret work, quality of wood, etc...

I dont know that the would have to reimport guitars into Mexico, I'd imagine Fender would be smarter on how they handle that than a couple of guys on a forum would be.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Fender was had rolling the frets on the American guitar for a while, I haven't been following Fender much lately but it's entirely possible that even if the necks are cut in the same place, the quality could be different. Fret work, quality of wood, etc...

I dont know that the would have to reimport guitars into Mexico, I'd imagine Fender would be smarter on how they handle that than a couple of guys on a forum would be.
You may be right, however it is still strange that they would charge so much more for a Mexican strat in Mexico. The only reasonable explanation would be import fees (or the store was raising the price too much. Considering the neighborhood, this could also be likely.)

I'll say it's all speculation. I still love the product they make. The neck on my Fender now is just as good as the neck on my friends American Standard, except mine has that gloopy gloss finish, cause I had to go for the '72 reissue apparently

I come away from this with a bit of knowledge I didn't have before. Plus, this makes for good conversation.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:

I'd imagine Fender would be smarter on how they handle that than a couple of guys on a forum would be.
We might be suprised at who is lurking in these forums.............

-Wolfram
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 AM

This has pretty much already been answered, but I was at the Fender factory a few weeks ago and they most definitely make their own necks (and bodies and bridges and pickguards and control plates and pickups and almost everything else).

Here's a site (not mine) which explains the Mexico/USA situation: http://www.guitarstop.com/tour/indexT.htm
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
We might be suprised at who is lurking in these forums.............

-Wolfram
K i'm scared now
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM

I used to work at Warmoth. I can assure you they do not make necks for fender. They do make licensed replacement necks for fender though.

Tags
fender , neck , warmoth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode