Fender Richie Sambora Strat - "Upgrade" - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Fender Richie Sambora Strat - "Upgrade"

Hi there. Iīve got a Mexican Fender RS model and recently decided to make it better. Itīs got a Poplar body, Stock Floyd Rose II and a rosewood neck (the crappy one, not the one with the star inlay). I saved some money and Iīm thinking of replacing itīs pickups, getting the trem "backboxed" (thatīs strange, it only goes 'down') and maybe a new neck. The problem is that I donīt know if itīs cool if I do that, or if I need to replace something on this kind of upgrade. I know the RS comes with a DiMarzio pu at the bridge and I simply HATE it. Iīm putting a Seymor Duncan JB instead. The neck Iīm thinking of buying is a Warmoth one, with the Ibanez Wizard back profile (of course ). Does it fit the RS? I know that the people at Warmoth can do almost everything, but Iīm a bit insecure about tunners, radius, etc. OK, I saved the worst for last. I think Iīm going to backbox the Trem. Does it affect the guitar? I know f***s up its sustain and setting it up is gonna be 100% harder, but what about its sound? Is there an audible difference? I hope you can help me. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 3
Fender Richie Sambora Strat

The trem - making it a full floating trem might affect the tuning if anything as you trem will now not rest against the body as I'm assuming it does now... but it will have to support itself with the string tension. *I don't know who makes the FR on that guitar, but chances are it's not the best one. *You may want to look into getting a nicer one. *That's the only possible problem I see.

The neck - Warmoth necks are built to fit ONLY (ONLY!!!) Fender bodies or Warmoth bodies. *They have how to measure the neck pocket to be sure on their site... check it out. *It should fit your guitar fine.

As for tuners... just get some used fender ones probably. *If that guitar has a locking nut as I'm sure it does, the tuners aren't gonna be HORRIBLY important.

Warmoth also has good descriptions of neck radiuses if I remember correctly. *If you want an Ibanez feel, go for one fo the flatter ones.

However (you probably saw this coming)... by the time you're done with this... couldn't you have sold the guitar that isn't what you want, taken the extra money, and just buy one that is what you want? *It's gotta be close.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I saw that coming . The problem is that I already tried to sell it for a million of times but itīs kinda hard to sell that "mid-range" signature guitars around here (I live in Brazil), and even if I did, Iīd have to pay a *little* more to purchase the Rg-550 I want at Musicianīs Friend. You see, I could sell this RS for about R$1200, which is about US$500. But if I purchase anything from another country, like Musicianīs Friend in the USA, I have to pay the government 67% of its value. If the 550 costs US$609, I would have to pay R$2240! Iīve looked around for this RG used, but I couldnīt find the 550, only the 570s, that are more common. Anyway, thanks for posting.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 10:47 PM

Reviews: 3

Can't you buy off ebay and maybe have it sent as a "gift" or have the declared value be next to nothing? *There's always a way around that stuff...

Anyways, good luck
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 11:16 AM

If you modify that axe you might wind up "Wanted: *Dead or Alive".
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Why? Donīt get me wrong, but Itīs my axe, Iīll do whatever I want ... I know it doesnīt sound like a good idea, but I was just wondering... Why not? Maybe it ends up totally modified, maybe (if I have an oportunity) sell it untouched. But thatīs too late now, I replaced the bridge pu this morning. The guy said that it was a DiMarzio "X2N" or so. Replaced it with a SD JB. It sounds wonderfull, pretty much Reb Beach. And by the way, thanks Jay, but I think Iīll call my uncle that lives in the US and ask him to send me the RG.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 05:06 PM

I say go for it. *You can get inlay material and cut it into stars too.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 10:16 AM

I was just kidding, that was a Bon Jovi joke.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2002, 12:52 AM

Go for it, dude! *You are totally right. *It's your axe and it sounds like your options for buying new from America are limited by the Government. (I hate taxes!) *I have modified almost every guitar I've ever owned and was always happy with the results. *Good luck.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2002, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
lgascoig on 10:16 am on Mar. 8, 2002
Ohh... the song! Sorry, man, I didnīt mean to be rude .
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2002, 04:05 PM

Quote:
LucasKotzen on 11:58 am on Mar. 7, 2002
Why? Donīt get me wrong, but Itīs my axe, Iīll do whatever I want ... I know it doesnīt sound like a good idea, but I was just wondering... Why not? Maybe it ends up totally modified, maybe (if I have an oportunity) sell it untouched. But thatīs too late now, I replaced the bridge pu this morning. The guy said that it was a DiMarzio "X2N" or so. Replaced it with a SD JB. It sounds wonderfull, pretty much Reb Beach. And by the way, thanks Jay, but I think Iīll call my uncle that lives in the US and ask him to send me the RG.
I'd say the JB covers a lot of 80s tones well but not Reb Beach. The "Winger" tone is EMGs man. I know for his Dokken stuff Reb is using Dimarzios in his custom Suhr guitar to closer approximate the Lynch sound. *But all the Winger stuff was EMGs. *I have talked to a guy in Pittsburgh (Reb's originally from Pittsburgh) who used to be Reb Beach's guitar tech for a good part of his Winger career. *He said even though Reb endorsed Ibanez and sometimes used Kramers on stage, mostly all the Winger stuff was recorded using a custom made strat w/floyd that John Suhr had built for him. Pickups were EMGs and it was plugged into a Bradshaw preamp. Reb is one of my favorite players from the 80s, no one respects his amazing tapping skills anymore!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 09:05 AM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
LucasKotzen on 1:58 pm on Mar. 7, 2002
The guy said that it was a DiMarzio "X2N" or so.
Actually, it was a PAF Pro. Check the Fender Frontline magazine for more specs about your guitar.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 05:30 AM

Quote:
lgascoig on 10:16 am on Mar. 8, 2002
I noticed, I was just hoping i could blink, click my heels, and never have hear it.
lol
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
carlos seo on 9:05 am on Mar. 10, 2002
Quote:
LucasKotzen on 1:58 pm on Mar. 7, 2002
The guy said that it was a DiMarzio "X2N" or so.
Actually, it was a PAF Pro. Check the Fender Frontline magazine for more specs about your guitar.
Cool, Iīll check it out. Oh, youīre from Brazil!

Tags
floyd rose , guitar tech , john suhr , locking nut , neck radius , paf pro , rosewood neck , signature guitar , string tension , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode