Fender Showmasters - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Fender Showmasters

I've been contemplating a strat as a next guitar to work towards, but some monkeying around on the fender site lead me to this baby:

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0263170530

I figure since it seems to have more of the features I would like than any one strat (some strats have one or two of the things i'm looking for, such as 24 frets, 2 pt trem, graphite nut, seymour duncan pups, but no one i could find would encompass all of them), it might be a good idea to spring for this showmaster instead.

I wonder though, what is the difference between this and a strat? Besides the flame top, I don't see too much of a difference. If it looks like a strat and quacks like a strat, is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 09:17 AM

Re: Fender Showmasters

To me that guitar is a "superstrat". It's a variation on the original strat theme. It has non-trad body wood, frets, pickups, trem system, tunners. But is it a strat? hmmm....has the same shape as one but they call it a Showmaster. Kinda like how they call that other Telecaster an Esquire? It is a great looking guitar at any rate.

If it were me and I wanted a Fender guitar with "traditional" strat tones I would check out models like the 57 or 62 re-issue. If "trad-tones" are not your thing and you just want a Fender guitar then go for the one you feel meets your needs. The ultimate scenario I guess would be if you could do a side by side "demo" of that Showmaster and a 57 re-issue.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I am considering it, but I do want to A/B it against a "regular" strat. It seems funny how they make different series names for things that look quite similar - what ARE those esquire things?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart
Thanks, I am considering it, but I do want to A/B it against a "regular" strat. It seems funny how they make different series names for things that look quite similar - what ARE those esquire things?
I believe that the Esquire has only one pickup, as opposed to the two pickup configuration of the Tele.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I just found that the Showmaster's list price is 900, and street price is around 650, but it really seems like a quality instrument...any ideas where fender might be cutting corners?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:28 PM

If I had the funds for a really nice Strat, I'd be looking hard at the Jeff Beck signature model. Am Std 2 point trem, LSR roller nut, Sperzel locking tuners, Fender Hot Noiseless pickups. In the USA they're in the $1200K - $1300 range.

I recently installed a set of the Hot Noiseless in my MIJ Squier project and they are the STUFF!!! They sound nearly identical to the hot Tex Mex pickups in my Jimmie Vaughan Strat, sans the 60Hz hum. With the volume rolled back, you can still get the clear, bell like tones of a '60s Fender.

~Scott
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:39 PM

ScreamJem7, That Jeff Beck sig' is a sweet guitar isnt it? I would love to get one. Ya, MIJ guitars are great guitars as well. I have an 80's mij squier Large headstock model thats a keeper for sure. Throw some of your FAV pick-ups in them and your ready to Rock N' Roll !

ChopTart, I dont know if you could call it a "corner cutter" but that version of the showmaster you are interested in is made in Korea. Country of origin seems to have an effect on price these days. You could always go for the U.S.A. Standard Showmaster. Musicians friend sells them for a cool $1,739.99.

Last edited by Earthrug; 04-15-2006 at 03:01 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Whats the deal with MIJ fender stuff? I haven't seen any MIJ gear, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place

As a side note, the neck of the showmaster is also neck-thru

Also, how does one find out where some of their gear is made? Where does fender say its models are produced?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthrug
Musicans Friend sells the U.S.A. Standard for a cool $1,739.99.
Damn
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 04:58 PM

Try American HH or HSS Stratocasters. Personaly I don't like them. They just don't have that something. They are great guitars and many people like them but they feel kinda boring to me.

But Mark Knopfler Stratocaster is just fantastic guitar! One of the best guitars I have ever played! It has '57 Strat ash body and '62 Strat neck. It has also Texas Special pickups but I don't really like them. Otherwise Knopfler Strat is just amazing instrument and I have also played Jeff Beck Strat and as guys here said it is really really good guitar too!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 11:07 PM

I played the one with 2 humbuckers and it sounded great. This is way better than an avereage strat.

Tags
graphite nut , jeff beck , jeff beck strat , locking tuners , mark knopfler , mij guitars , noiseless pickups , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pups , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , strat tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode