Fender Strat question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Fender Strat question

Will the resale value go up on the newer strats later in life? I can guess probably the early ones gain money, when Leo was still running the show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:06 AM

Re: Fender Strat question

My guess would be yes.... but you'll most likely have to wait about twenty years for the guitar to stop depreciating. The other thing that may make all current instruments go up in value is dwindling wood stocks - I don't know if you saw the article in Guitar Player lately, but instrument grade Sitka Spruce will be basically all gone in six or so years - and that's basically the only wood currently used for acoustic guitar tops - so guess what that will do to current guitar values!

Pre CBS Fenders are obviously worth the most of any out there, but any Strat up to about 1980 is currently worth a lot more than what it cost new - I started playing old Strats in about (gulp) 1982 - and back then, Seventies Strats were almost completely worthless! So it's fair to say that as they get older, they will eventually reach a point where they become vintage, or collectible. Ironically, the current US Standard Strat is a MUCH better guitar than a seventies Strat!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 AM

i think it also depends on models to models
limited release would gain a better value at a shorter time
where as mass produced standard series will gain lower value at a longer time..

i still perfered the 68strat with the large headstock & bullet truss rod.
thats just classic 70s
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:53 AM

I'm with you on the 68 (or any mid to late 60's, early 70's). Those were the best in my opinion. I love big head stock Strats. I do believe they sustain better also. I've had tons of strats over the years and my fav are always the early 70s before the "big" quality slide. Although my '02 YJM is by far the best guitar I have in my collection.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

hm alright guys, I just wanted to make sure because I was thinking of adding an lsr roller nut and the s-1 switch to my 02 american deluxe strat. But I guess I might not want to do that . Also since this thread is fender questions, I was wondering my guitar didn't come with the standard pickups put in a amer. deluxe, it came with vintage noisless pups not the cobalt noisless?! Also I know it is really an american deluxe because the serial number thing on fender.com. One more question, If i change the pickups or add the s-1 switch or do anything that can be put back to stock later would it hurt the resale value? Cause that supervee tremolo can swap without mods and those custom shop texas specials are screaming my name
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

^^^ Yes, no, maybe
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:58 PM

If your guitar was an American Deluxe, it would have already come with the S1 switching, unless it's an older model (not sure when the S-1 was introduced). I believe that the SCN pickups have also only been included on more recent models (2004 - present).

Anyways, If you keep the original parts, it shouldn't be a problem. About the nut though, if you play on reselling it, I would be cautious. As others have said though though, it will be some time before your guitar starts to appreciate.

In regards to the best Strats made, the best ones made were the Pre-CBS (before 1965) ones. After CBS took over, the quality control took a severe hit. However, the quality did not drop immediately, so one would still be safe buying a 1966, 67, or even a 68 Strat. It's not like the changes happened overnight.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Reviews: 18

What is a supervee tremolo??????

As far as putting new pups, I would buy a new pickguard, outfit it with everything you want and have the tech make a quick connect/disconnect plug so you can replace pickguards in 5 minutes or less without having to solder anything. The lsr nut can be an upgrade but I would suggest you replace the stock tuners with the locking schallers to get the most benefit out of the lsr.

This is what my Strat Plus looks like with the old school lsr and the sperzels (Fender switched to schallers a few years ago)

Jimmy
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

It is an 2002 model and I don't remember seeing any s-1 switches till the year after I bought it (in the local store not like GC). I bought it in 04 or 05. The super vee is kinda ugly but it is a direct swap no mod double locking trem. I rather get an lsr roller nut but then it won't be stock ever again
http://www.super-vee.com/technology.html

Also I have scaller's, they came stock on it http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G..._Machines.html
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

oh and that ugly super vee trem will fix tuning stability and also I've noticed the tremolo bar isn't as high as the stock trem (more like a floyd) which is nice but it is pretty damn ugly >_< and I will get a new pg with new pickups like you said, that is a good idea. You guys know where to buy the S-1 Switch and the knob with the push in top?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:20 PM

Getting a strat to stay in tune with normal bridge is fairly easy. I don't think that Supervee would be necessary (unless you just have to have a Floyd). Plus, you won't keep the original Strat tone.

Watch this video from this thread
:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63583

I'm not sure where to get a switching system similar to the S-1 though.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Getting a strat to stay in tune with normal bridge is fairly easy. I don't think that Supervee would be necessary (unless you just have to have a Floyd). Plus, you won't keep the original Strat tone.

Watch this video from this thread
:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63583

I'm not sure where to get a switching system similar to the S-1 though.
I did it all, I've tried all this and more and I can't keep it in tune. It stays in tune for awhile if i use a lubricant for the nut but after about a week the strings start going sharp and flat.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

hey u mentioned a connect/disconnect thing for the pg's so they swap easier. How can I do this because Wiring a pg is no problem for me just I dont know what the quick connect/disconnect thing is

Edit:
Also would a graphtech nut swap with a standard nut without any problems of switching back if I ever come to sell it (if the price raises after like 20-30 yrs)

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 06-04-2007 at 07:13 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

'Past history is no guarantee of future performance'

That's what they say about stocks and bonds, but ALL USA Strats eventually appreciate in value over time- some just longer time than others.

Money in the bank, son.

-jemaholic
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Reviews: 18

The quick connect/disconnect is nothing special. Go to radio shack and buy these:

They're $1.99 at radio shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

use one pair for the ground wire and another pair for the input jack, and you're in business. As Long as the connections are nice and tight, you shouldn't experience any noise or loss of sound.

Jimmy

Tags
acoustic guitar , coil pickup , custom shop , deluxe strat , strat plus , strat tone , tremolo bar , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode