Fender Strat Question (Yngwie Malmsteen Signature) - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Re: Fender Strat Question (Yngwie Malmsteen Signature)

Just to update this a bit, I ended up buying the guitar and it's great! It's an 89-90 model, one of the earlier ones. My first experience with scalloped frets and I'm really digging them! Somehow I feel like they add a mellower tone overall. Almost more accoustic sounding.

Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 AM

Congrats man, did u grab the USA?
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

It's actually a Japanese model. It's worked out great! Here are some pics.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...c/100_0378.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...c/100_0382.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...c/100_0379.jpg
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 07:05 PM

Nice one dude, congrats, did u try out the USA model too?
How do they compare?
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Well actually this was a used one that was being sold locally, so I haven't tried out any of the US models, but from what I've learned, apparently one of the differances of the two is that the Japanese model is an basswood body, while the US model is alder. It's a cool guitar for sure!
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 06:49 PM

A new [2008] US Malmsteen strat (maybe Japanese ones, too) would have a brass nut and deeper scallops than yours.

Sweet guitar!
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 09:23 PM

@ ModernGuitarist: If it works for u its fine Congrats for one more time!
@ chone: Actually i think that all the YJM strats have these options from 2007 if am not mistaken... + the Bullet trussrod!
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:53 AM

2007 would make sense, now that I think about it. I did hear it a while ago!
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Congrats. Those are great guitars.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 AM

A little off-topic perhaps but does anyone know the reason behind the machine screws used on the newer Malmsteen Strats. for the bolt-on neck? I'm wondering if it has something to do with sustain with the added mass of the metal or if it's just a quirky thing.

Anyway, nice guitar ModernGuitarist, enjoy!
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 02:11 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

They sustain great without the machine screws. I believe it's a marketing thing.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 05:51 AM

the reason they might be going for an Yngwie CS model is that Yngwie's signature model is the second fastest selling unit.

I do not know if that still holds true. However, it was for a while and that factors into why choosing him vs other people
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeous View Post
the reason they might be going for an Yngwie CS model is that Yngwie's signature model is the second fastest selling unit.

I do not know if that still holds true. However, it was for a while and that factors into why choosing him vs other people
When I was at Fender in 2006-2007 it was the best selling signature model they offered. I don't think that's changed.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 06:31 AM

Thumbs up Re: Fender Strat Question (Yngwie Malmsteen Signature)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Tiger View Post
Come on, Yngwie allways plays different guitars, i mean Vai plays EVO, FLO etc., clapton used to play blackie, SRV - #1, David Gilmour - his black-guard stratocaster, EVH - 5150... but Yngwie just plays his scalloped strats I have seen a lot of his gig videos on u tube and he almost never plays the same guitar... Maybe am wrong but i think the YJM guitar is not a LEGEND like blackie etc...
I like him alot, he's great, he is a legend but his guitar is not if u know what i mean...
Not true mate. His famous "duck" guitar is THE Malmsteen guitar. He used it on almost all of his albums and was one of his first, if not his first Fender Stratocaster. It was the Duck that he took as his only guitar to the US in 1983. Fender used the duck as the basis of his signature model.

Sure, Yngwie playes loads of Fender guitars, but the Duck remains number 1 and is just as known guitarwise among people as quote: " blackie, SRV - #1, David Gilmour - his black-guard stratocaster, EVH - 5150"/

Just look at the album cover of Rising Force to see the Duck.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:52 PM

I owned a USA Yngwie Malmsteen Strat (2003 model I believe) for just over a year or so, and for quality you couldn't knock it at all. Dazza1004 on these boards used to own it before me. One of the most solid guitars I've ever played, would have taken damage/beating you give it and still come out playing and sounding great. I sold it in the end due to me wanting the money for something else and not entirely getting-on with the scallops properly. Great guitars though! :-)

That Japanese model of yours looks awesome!

Tags
david gilmour , guitar players , jeff beck , malmsteen strat , scalloped frets , signature guitar , vintage trem , yjm strat , yngwie malmsteen , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in