Fender Strat Question (Yngwie Malmsteen Signature) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Fender Strat Question (Yngwie Malmsteen Signature)

Hey everyone,

I'm in need of some help from those of you who know a lot about Fender. What is the differance between the Yngwie Malmsteen Signature guitars that were made in Japan versus those made in the USA? Or all they all made in Japan? One has recently come to my attention which is made in Japan, but I thought the Signature Series were all made in America.

I think there is both a Japanese and American Custom Shop from what I can tell from the research I've conducted online, but is there a difference between the same model made in one or the other? Can someone help me?

I know that seemingly across the board, Japanese guitars are just as good as American guitars, but is this the case with the Fender line too?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Re: Fender Strat Question (Yngwie Malmsteen Signature)

I' m not sure but i think the Japanese model is made of basswood and the American of alder...
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 PM

Im not sure of spec differences, but if quality is all you are worried about, dont be. I;ve had a couple Japanese Fenders and they were great.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 PM

YJM Japan signature ST71-140YM, basswood body,
maple neck narrow u-shape, brass nut, super jumbo, 10" radius, Dimarzio YJM at bridge and neck, fender standard
in middle, rewired with Fender no-load pots, bridge and
middle pu's connected to lower tone control, Fender vintage tremolo with steel block, F-tuners

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop//.../st71150ym.htm

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop//.../st68195ym.htm
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 PM

Reviews: 2

I'd wait for this: www.fender.com/yngwie
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:08 PM

It's gonna be $25K like all of the of the CS tributes.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:19 PM

I was wondering about that, I wouldnt think they could get $25K for Yngwie. He's not Clapton, SRV or EVH. I would think around $10K though.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 PM

yah 10k sounds right i heard about this.
and anyways who cares if its japenese i own a jap strat with a locking tremelo from the 80s the thing plays better than americans nowadays in my opinion.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:38 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmm61 View Post
yah 10k sounds right i heard about this.
and anyways who cares if its japenese i own a jap strat with a locking tremelo from the 80s the thing plays better than americans nowadays in my opinion.
I own both US and MIJ fenders, the Japanese make great reissues...and the US are very good if you want a modern strat. I still believe my MIJ 50's blackie is one of the best strats ever built, lots of sustain and clear bell like tones aplenty.

I would buy the MIJ Malmsteen if I were you, and with the change you can also get the Blackmore and Maiden signature models!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Vial View Post
The Duck relic, sweet...
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I was wondering about that, I wouldnt think they could get $25K for Yngwie. He's not Clapton, SRV or EVH. I would think around $10K though.
I don't think who the replica is made from that dictates the price. I think it is the labor involved with creating 25 or so exact replicas; down to weight and smell, and wood grain etc. Not to mention one CS luthier from start to finish. Street prices may drop if demand is not there, but MSRP will be through the roof... ex. Jeff Beck Esquire.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Vial View Post
Relics FTL
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:21 PM

Come on, Yngwie allways plays different guitars, i mean Vai plays EVO, FLO etc., clapton used to play blackie, SRV - #1, David Gilmour - his black-guard stratocaster, EVH - 5150... but Yngwie just plays his scalloped strats I have seen a lot of his gig videos on u tube and he almost never plays the same guitar... Maybe am wrong but i think the YJM guitar is not a LEGEND like blackie etc...
I like him alot, he's great, he is a legend but his guitar is not if u know what i mean...
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy mcfeely View Post
I don't think who the replica is made from that dictates the price. I think it is the labor involved with creating 25 or so exact replicas; down to weight and smell, and wood grain etc. Not to mention one CS luthier from start to finish. Street prices may drop if demand is not there, but MSRP will be through the roof... ex. Jeff Beck Esquire.
Yeah, but the Beck was only $15K list. I know what your saying about the labor, but I'm Clapton, EVH, SRV draw more since they were bigger names and people outside of guitar players would want those too.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:02 PM

I actually the real "Lenny" right next to the copy, and for $15k Fender couldn't even get the color right.

Tags
david gilmour , guitar players , jeff beck , malmsteen strat , scalloped frets , signature guitar , vintage trem , yjm strat , yngwie malmsteen , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode