Fender Stratocaster - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Fender Stratocaster

I have never bought (and hardly played) a strat before, and i was wondering what are all the differences between all the models... usa, mexican, original... apart from the obvious differences - like the fat strat. Which model, is the best, and which is the best for the amount it costs...?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 06:44 PM

So many models and so many differences. You know Fender extended the range of the Strat since a few years and even retaillers have sometimes problem to find out the specs of all different models. For the best Strat, I'll go for a Strat with Lace Sensor pickups, the of the line being the Strat Ultra (don't know if it's still available) or the Clapton model considering its active pickup system. Hope this can help.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 09:00 PM

Wow - that is a question that would require a book's worth of info to properly reply to. I used to work for a Fender dealer and STILL have trouble keeping it all straight...
The important parts are these: The mexican made strats are really very good. The bodies and necks are made to the same specs as the USA parts then are finished in Mexico. The electronics are not as nice and the pickups have ceramic magnets rather than alnico, resulting in a hotter but less "vintage" sound. Bridge is a different metal compound which some argue is not as resonant... Overall good guitars though, and the Mexican Classic Series Reissues are VERY good.
The USA models are very nice. More consistent from one to another and more modern in construction. Better pickups, bridge saddles, tuners, fretwork, etc. Find a good one and it will last a lifetime and will sound GREAT. They come with hardcases rather than gig bags and will take a beating.
Then there's Highway One Strats, Deluxe Strats, American Vintage Strats, Special Edition Strats........ ugh..........
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 09:42 PM

Hmm...the best thing is, go to a store with lots of Fenders (easy to find), play all of them and find one that feels great and is well built.

If you want to do some research before, decide on your budget first...this would probably eliminate a lot of the possibilities. Go to www.fender.com for more info...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 11:28 PM

I think the best for the amount they cost are the early 90's made in Japan '54 reissues. The EX TRAD guitars, if you can find one, will keep you happy for life. The relics are really nice, too. They're the only ones I think I'd buy sight unseen, unless you got one from someone here who'd vouch for it. There's a really nice fender forum at...drumroll here...fenderforum.com. You could go browse and see what the folks there rate as their faves for the buck.
Strats are great if you get a nice one, good luck!

jim
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 05:27 AM

But whatever you do, not slag SRV as the cavalry from the Fender Forum will come after you!! But it is a good forum for Fender knowledge.

Tags
bridge saddles , deluxe strat , fat strat , lace sensor , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode