FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 95
FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

I was wandering if anyone has tried or knows any info about the quality of this guitar?? And also does anyone know if tele's with humbuckers can be used for heavy rock?
clnh5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 09:46 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,568
IMHO you can use almost any guitar for hard rock. Seems to me that a humbucker tele would be great.
Greg
gkelm is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 10:44 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 795
#1: Try before you buy.

I went into a music store a couple months ago- one of my friends was looking at that particular Tele. We both played it for a while. The first thing you noticed was that it's very light. Deceptively light. It looks like it weighs as much as an RGT3120, but is as light as a Squire Strat. But to sum up the experience: 1) neck feels awful- feels like an import no-name from the 60's. 2) unplugged, it didn't resonate musically... resonated as if you're playing a plastic guitar. 3) no sustain. 4) humbuckers were weak and sounded 'empty' both clean, and dirty.

Now, maybe it was a 'bad egg', maybe we had both been spoiled by higher-end guitars over the years. But honestly, both of our opinions were that the FMT is awful, and we were both very disappointed by the experience.

On the other hand, we tried a black '72 Tele Custom with a maple fretboard. And that thing ROCKED. It felt great, played with ease, and the stock pickups did what you wanted them to- a full bluesey sound in the neck, a nice biting crunch in the bridge (w/out being too brittle). Not to mention I love the dual volume and tone controls- you can do that Randy Rhodes fast pickup switching (with the vol. to '0' on one pickup) that is neat- gives you a tremoloish effect.

For the $40 more, I'd definately go with the '72 Custom. The FMT felt like a $149 guitar.

-Ben
BeastofLove is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 95
yeah your right i just tried one at guitar center yesterday, and it is junk in my opinion! i guess that i goes to prove that you should try before you buy like you said, i thought it looked good in the catalog and on the website but obviously NOT!
clnh5 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:44 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

How old are you two? About 14 -17? Know much about guitars? Doubt it!!

I know guitars can be subjective, but to listen to you two, you'd go away believing that the Telecaster FMT is a crap guitar, and it's anything but!!!

I've been playing almost 30 years, and nearly all the Korean made guitars I've played piss all over some of the "big name brand" guitars!! Yes, I agree you should play it first to see if you like it or not, but you should also make sure you are playing through a decent amp, and getting a reasonable tone (not turn the amp up all the way to ear splitting volumes, which I've often seen people do in music shops), otherwise you are bound to be disappointed.

I've played at least 3 of these guitars, and whats not to like? For the price they are amazing. It's an all mahogany, set neck tele with a maple top, and those Seymour Duncans cook!! You can't get the RP '59 or Pearly Gates Plus on another guitar, as Seymour Duncan don't do them as a separate item. They suit the guitar down to the ground!! And it sings! They are definitely not weak!?!

I think I'm experienced enough as a guitarist to tell if a guitar is good enough. You don't need a heavy guitar to get sustain, just a decent guitar with good pickups, and a good tube amp helps as well. I even played the blue version of this guitar with the Fender pickups and it's still an excellent guitar, no question!

There was a Les Paul on the wall of the shop I saw the Fender in, and it was at least 3 times the price of the Fender. Just because it has "Gibson" on the headstock does not make it 3 times the guitar of the FMT. I personally do not like Les Pauls as I find them too heavy, the burstbucker pickups they come with are just "loud" with no particular tone, and there is the "fret access" issue.

I'd pick the Fender any time, and save some cash for something else. It's constructed the same way as a Les Paul, looks better and I prefer it.

When you've been playing a while you can get the best out of almost any guitar you play, and the construction, plus the pickups make this guitar a steal in my opinion! I think some people judge a guitar by whether it's got "made in USA" stamped on it, or not. Just because it's from Korea, it does not mean this guitar is somehow "inferior"!!

Just because it's a little on the light side doesn't mean it has no sustain. If that were the case how come the Van Halen guitars, and the Satriani JS series have bodies made of basswood, eh? Can't get a lighter wood than that, but it's still "toney" and gives good sustain.

I do realize that some people like certain guitars, and others hate them, but to say this guitar is like a $149 one is ludicrous!! Anyway a good enough guitarist can get a tone out of even a cheap piece of plywood.

Van Halen used a $150 for over 10 years, so it's actually the guitarist and not the axe, in my opinion!!!

Last edited by TonyV; 11-18-2009 at 08:19 PM.
TonyV is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 7,017
Reviews: 1
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyV View Post
Van Halen used a $150 for over 10 years, so it's actually the guitarist and not the axe, in my opinion!!!
Whilst you make some excellent points, it's worth noting that he used the 150 buck guitar 30 years ago, not at today' prices

I love the look of the FMT Tele and definately prefer it to the LP shape.
jono is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

Yes, Jono I take your point!

Actually Van Halens' guitar cost more than that because I remember him saying he used an old Gibson PAF pickup in it that cost around 200 bucks, but my point is if a guitar is well made it doesn't have to cost a fortune to be a good one.

I have a Korean made Hamer Diablo Deluxe that is a superb guitar that originally only cost me £310 (about $450 US I think), and although I knew I'd have to upgrade the poor quality vibrato to a Schaller unit, I now have a fantastic guitar which stacks up with some instruments that cost twice the price!

Yes, it's got Duncan designed pickups on it, instead of "name" Duncans, and I could upgrade them if I so wished, but they sound fine, are well matched and sound great through my Marshall amp! It's also got a superb neck which really drew me to it, because I grew up musically playing a Fender, and the neck is somewhere between a Fender and a Gibson, so is really comfortable for me to play.

What I was trying to say is, I know people have their own opinions, but a couple of the previous posters were trying to say that the Telecaster is a poor instrument, i.e. cheap and nasty, when I don't see that as being the case at all.

I can remember many years ago when cheap guitars were just that cheap and very nasty, yet these days, the cheap guitars are very good quality! I've got an Epiphone '58 Flying V, and it's a super guitar and I only paid £150 off of ****, with a hardshell case!

I think everyone aspires to an expensive name brand guitar, but we don't always have the money to spend, especially in these hard times. I think guitars like the Telecaster FMT are fantastic for the money, and if I had the cash I'd buy one now before they put the price up too much! It's rare to find a guitar that looks that good, and sounds that good, with no noticeable cheap parts on it, for a "semi pro" price. I will be adding one to my collection (which includes Gibson and Fender guitars) as soon as I'm able!

I just noticed that the other guys posted back in 2003, so is over six years to reply some sort of record? (I only recently came across the site so it's not my fault!)

Last edited by TonyV; 11-18-2009 at 08:37 PM.
TonyV is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyV View Post
How old are you two? About 14 -17? Know much about guitars? Doubt it!!

I know guitars can be subjective, but to listen to you two, you'd go away believing that the Telecaster FMT is a crap guitar, and it's anything but!!!

I've been playing almost 30 years, and nearly all the Korean made guitars I've played piss all over some of the "big name brand" guitars!! Yes, I agree you should play it first to see if you like it or not, but you should also make sure you are playing through a decent amp, and getting a reasonable tone (not turn the amp up all the way to ear splitting volumes, which I've often seen people do in music shops), otherwise you are bound to be disappointed.

I've played at least 3 of these guitars, and whats not to like? For the price they are amazing. It's an all mahogany, set neck tele with a maple top, and those Seymour Duncans cook!! You can't get the RP '59 or Pearly Gates Plus on another guitar, as Seymour Duncan don't do them as a separate item. They suit the guitar down to the ground!! And it sings! They are definitely not weak!?!

I think I'm experienced enough as a guitarist to tell if a guitar is good enough. You don't need a heavy guitar to get sustain, just a decent guitar with good pickups, and a good tube amp helps as well. I even played the blue version of this guitar with the Fender pickups and it's still an excellent guitar, no question!

There was a Les Paul on the wall of the shop I saw the Fender in, and it was at least 3 times the price of the Fender. Just because it has "Gibson" on the headstock does not make it 3 times the guitar of the FMT. I personally do not like Les Pauls as I find them too heavy, the burstbucker pickups they come with are just "loud" with no particular tone, and there is the "fret access" issue.

I'd pick the Fender any time, and save some cash for something else. It's constructed the same way as a Les Paul, looks better and I prefer it.

When you've been playing a while you can get the best out of almost any guitar you play, and the construction, plus the pickups make this guitar a steal in my opinion! I think some people judge a guitar by whether it's got "made in USA" stamped on it, or not. Just because it's from Korea, it does not mean this guitar is somehow "inferior"!!

Just because it's a little on the light side doesn't mean it has no sustain. If that were the case how come the Van Halen guitars, and the Satriani JS series have bodies made of basswood, eh? Can't get a lighter wood than that, but it's still "toney" and gives good sustain.

I do realize that some people like certain guitars, and others hate them, but to say this guitar is like a $149 one is ludicrous!! Anyway a good enough guitarist can get a tone out of even a cheap piece of plywood.

Van Halen used a $150 for over 10 years, so it's actually the guitarist and not the axe, in my opinion!!!

Yep Tony V I own this guitar and have ownd many guitars and it is a very fine guitar. I have played in bands for ever and this guitar is a great playing guitar. Wonderful fast neck, the pick ups sound great and a beautiful well made guitar.
grelax53 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM
j.p
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: athens greece
Posts: 51
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

It is a great guitar with high quality specs and perfect construction.
You can buy it in very good price cause it is made in korea.If in the headstck has made in USA or JAPAN you can realise the price you have to pay....
In my opinion is an excelent guitar but realy is a tele only by the shape...
j.p is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

great axe. versatile as hell. with a setup and your choice of pickups if you don't like the stock ones, it smokes!
i own a red one and i put a jb in the bridge to go with the 59 and a petrucci 3 way and this guitar is setup great for covering my style/tones. the coil tap is wired only for the neck pickup and the 3 way gives the 2 hums tapped in middle position. sounds great plays great, looks great.
run of the mill? hardly. thinking outside the box with this axe is what the deluxe HH FMT's are all about. they don't sound like tele's, they don't sound like pauls, but a great blend between the 2 and at a good price. even better when you find one used!

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:07 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 67
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

I had a Black Cherry burst FMT Tele and it was beautiful. Sounded great and played fine. Don't get hung up on where it was built. If it plays great and sounds great, go with it.
The world has enough corksniffers.

Scott
Phred is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oulu, Finland
Posts: 501
Reviews: 11
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

I played FMT tele couple times at my local store and it was one of the best feeling and sounding guitars I have ever played. The acoustic sound was loud as hell and it was finished very nicely. No flaws to be found. The neck was rather round and a bit thick, especially when compared to Wizards, but it was very comfy. And now I regret that I didn't buy it. It would have been a keeper, that's for sure.
FrostStorm is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 340
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

No reason at all a humbuckered tele can't do hard rock. My Tele with Bill Lawrence single coils and a 4 way switch is a hard rock monster.
Riverdragon is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:37 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, UK
Posts: 469
Reviews: 15
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdragon View Post
No reason at all a humbuckered tele can't do hard rock. My Tele with Bill Lawrence single coils and a 4 way switch is a hard rock monster.
Absolutely. My Jim Root Tele with EMGs in drop C is the least pointy, and most metal, guitar in my collection.
MarkE is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Re: FENDER Telecaster Custom FMT opinions???

I posted before about the Fender Tele FMT HH, I own a walnut one and love it. Mine is a few years old and was made in Korea. I was in the local music store Monday and saw one that I think the tag said was Amber. I did not get a chance to play it. But I was a little dismayed to see it was made in Indonesia. It may still be a great guitar I have played a few Indonesian made guitars that were not so good. On the other hand The G&L Tributes are made there and they are great. I hope these are great too.
grelax53 is offline  
Reply

Tags
maple fret , maple fretboard , music store , pickup switch , pickup switching , squire strat

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Fender FSR Ash Telecaster manticus Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 05-22-2012 08:37 AM
WTB: Ibanez RGA121 Violin Flat! or Fender Spalted Maple Custom Telecaster (EU) ReflectingSurfaces Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 12-13-2010 04:08 PM
FS - Fender Telecaster Vaibanez Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 03-08-2009 07:40 PM
Fender Telecaster Wound All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 2 01-11-2005 11:05 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome