Fender Telecaster Select - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Talking Fender Telecaster Select

I went in to my local guitar store today to buy a Fender Telecaster. I know, I know - what am I doing buying something other than an Ibanez....... I wanted something for use in the studio that gave me a nice jazz / blues tone and to be honest I was after a one trick pony.

I went in with the intention of getting an American Standard Tele with an Ash body or an American Deluxe.

I tried the MIM version, the American, the American Deluxe and then..........the American Select series.

The neck on the MIM was poor. It sounded reasonable plugged in.

The neck on the American standard and it sounded reasonable plugged in.

The American Deluxe had a great neck but sounded very average.

The Fender Telecaster Select was incredible. Wonderfully smooth and very playable neck with a great finish on the frets and board.

The pickups were wonderfully smooth with a great clean bluesy sound and just a nice bit of bite when I rolled up the volume. Far more versatile than I would have expected.

Overall the guitar looks AMAZING - Violin Burst gloss-lacquer finish and natural binding on a resonant honeycomb-chambered ash body and a solid flame maple top.

I seriously WANT this guitar. I would have walked out of the store with it had the price been a touch lower. ($2950.00 Australian [I have subsequently found it for $2629.00 AUD]).

The other thing I am worried about is how much I would use the Telecaster. My RG (RG 520 with FRED Neck / PAF Pro Bridge) is my main player and I have no real desire to put it to the side as it is a great all rounder. However, I am seriously thinking of getting rid of one or two guitars to get this!

-Wolfram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:24 AM

Re: Fender Telecaster Select

Those selects are amazing. I don't know how available they are in australia, but if you can check out som G&L Asats
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Check out som G&L Asats
Just did a quick search and they do sell them in Australia - $3450.00, so in the same ball park - so I will check them out.

-Wolfram
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM

Reviews: 39

They aren't very available in alot of brick and mortar stores. When I got our Strat Select in, my first thought was that Fender was shooting to fire back at Suhr and retake their own market; and maaan it's an incredible guitar. Top to bottom their are no details missing. Fender put every available resource into their Select series. If you want one i'd order it via interwebs if it isn't there anymore - the specs will be the same. They are all coming out of the Corona custom shop.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Thats it - I'm getting it! No self control here!

-Wolfram
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 PM

That's the spirit!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Those selects are amazing. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
. . . maaan it's an incredible guitar. Top to bottom their are no details missing. . . .
Wow, really? Sorry to be skeptical, but my first impression of them was that they were pretty but not worth the extra dough. Maybe having come to understand Gibson, I class them as a "Standard" or "Pro" with the regular Teles being the "Studio."

Peace

Mike
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

And ordered....I would have kicked myself later if I didn't get it. Went with the gold hardware too.

http://www.fender.com/en-AU/products...tno=0170303733

Now the wait.

-Wolfram
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Wow, really? Sorry to be skeptical, but my first impression of them was that they were pretty but not worth the extra dough. Maybe having come to understand Gibson, I class them as a "Standard" or "Pro" with the regular Teles being the "Studio."

Peace

Mike
Play one. This guitar had me weak at the knees. Looks are great but then the sound.....

-Wolfram
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:52 AM

Reviews: 39

The one that we had in had a birds eye maple neck that literally made me . I don't think you'll be dissapointed! And I don't "WOW!" out loud at alot of guitars that come through Guitar Center week after week...
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 AM

Reviews: 10

That is a big $ ticket guitar - but I think you know when you pick up a guitar if it is the right one for you...and it sounds like you know ;o) I'm excited for you - looking forward to seeing pics when you get it Cheers!
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Got the guitar today! Pics getting uploaded tonight. Absolutely in love. Could this be the end of Ibanez for me? Probably not but this thing is so well built and sounds amazing. I have never had a guitar that responds so well and brings out the dynamics in my playing style so easily.

-Wolfram
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

And here she is. Enjoy, I know I am.

-Wolfram

Last edited by Wolfram; 09-07-2012 at 06:46 PM.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Glad the office is quiet today - I just had to have a little 'moment' looking at that. STUNNING. Many congrats.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 AM

Reviews: 6

I think their new Select are as good as their Custom Shop. Congrat.

Tags
fender , telecaster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode