Fender Ultra Series + interview with Fender CEO Andy Mooney - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Fender Ultra Series + interview with Fender CEO Andy Mooney

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear...n-ultra-series

This is interesting. The Fender marketing department comes off as appealing. (You will need to watch the video to get the gist.)

https://reverb.com/news/interview-fe...ure-of-guitars

This is interesting too. I learned who Andy Mooney is, metal was discussed quite a bit, and not the type article I've ever read from Fender. I realize Reverb is not The Wall Street Journal but it's at least something.

TLDR Version - the Ultra Series has a tapered heel now.
jono and jim777 like this.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Fender Ultra Series + interview with Fender CEO Andy Mooney

I think it's a good idea poorly executed, the tapered heel looks to be one of the least ergonomic ones out there.

I think fender have succeeded in putting a load of features into their guitars that Fender buyers just won't want and that won't be enough to tempt non-Fender players to the brand. The marketing machine spins its wheels and people will still want vintage features from Fender whilst gladly accepting modern "Strats" from Suhr...
mike570 likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:44 AM

That was a great article. Thank you for posting it. Was surprised he shared all that research data on the marketplace and sales. His comment about 45% of all buyers being first time, and 90% giving up within a year sounds right. If they cut that ratio down, the business booms. Personally though, I think we already seen ďpeak guitarĒ.

The Ultra Series looks nice, but they made one massive mistake. No SS frets. I think (or at least hope) that Ibanez understands a lot of players now want them.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:08 PM

If the Ultra came with stainless steel frets I'd consider an Ultra Strat.It's not a big departure from what they were already doing with the Elite series though, more like a refresh without any radical steps forward, they definitely over-hyped the pre-release.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I always find that Ss frets are more for the second owner than the first, it’s something I’m really not interested in. I see them as a non-user-serviceable part.
jim777 likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I always find that Ss frets are more for the second owner than the first, it’s something I’m really not interested in. I see them as a non-user-serviceable part.
My 30th Anniversary Jem (2017) already has lightly worn frets because I play it a lot, if they were SS that would not be the case. With SS you've got something like 10x the wear resistance with no drawbacks for the user, after you go SS you never want to go back to nickel because the only real difference between the two is how long they last before they need work. So with the Ultra if it had SS frets I could be sure that I can play it for 10 years and it will remain the same, with nickel it will need fret dresses and each one is consuming the life of the frets.

My buddy has been playing his Suhr every day for about 10 years and the frets still look like he bought the guitar yesterday.
jono and The TPS Report like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think it's a good idea poorly executed, the tapered heel looks to be one of the least ergonomic ones out there.

I think fender have succeeded in putting a load of features into their guitars that Fender buyers just won't want and that won't be enough to tempt non-Fender players to the brand. The marketing machine spins its wheels and people will still want vintage features from Fender whilst gladly accepting modern "Strats" from Suhr...
I was more interested in reading what the CEO of Fender had to say about Fender and "the guitar" in general. There is not a tremendous amount of visible leadership on the business side of the guitar world, especially from the larger companies. It is nice to know someone is steering the proverbial Fender ship and is willing to talk about the general direction the boat is headed.
jono likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
My 30th Anniversary Jem (2017) already has lightly worn frets because I play it a lot, if they were SS that would not be the case. With SS you've got something like 10x the wear resistance with no drawbacks for the user, after you go SS you never want to go back to nickel because the only real difference between the two is how long they last before they need work. So with the Ultra if it had SS frets I could be sure that I can play it for 10 years and it will remain the same, with nickel it will need fret dresses and each one is consuming the life of the frets.

My buddy has been playing his Suhr every day for about 10 years and the frets still look like he bought the guitar yesterday.
If you play that much, I can see your point, I donít get to play as much as I used to, and in order to make myself feel like a guitarist, keep buying new guitars.

If I actually still played guitar, I might be more interested in SS frets
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If I actually still played guitar, I might be more interested in SS frets
Unless you made a vow to quit the guitar, you still play. Some/many/most people just take a long hiatus.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 07:30 AM

I completely get ss frets. I really regret not adding ss frets to my last custom neck. I wear out frets about every 2 years. Currently my solution is to try to get 3 guitars that are almost exactly the same so i can rotate them lol. An expensive option. But hey! I'll have more guitars 😉
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 AM

Reviews: 21

Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon, but IMO the Ultra series just looks like the same guitars Fender has been making since the 1950's. Upgraded electronics, sure - you'd expect that. I also love the colors but I've always liked Fender colors. Luckily for them they still have Charvel, EVH, and their other brands. TBH, if I were to give another brand a go I'd try the Pro Mod DK24 Charvel. But then I love my AZ. Both are really Suhr takeoffs but when I play my AZ I do feel like some progressive thought went into its design. I'd suspect if I picked up a Pro Mod I might feel the same. (The jack in the back is kind of slick.)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon, but IMO the Ultra series just looks like the same guitars Fender has been making since the 1950's
That was the intent, they want them to look like classic models from the front while having all the modern features such as a contoured heel and modern neck carve on the back. Honestly for me the only thing that doesn't make it an instant buy is the frets, because it's otherwise a well made modern Strat with quality hardware and a pickup/electronic solution that is ahead of the competition. I mean who else offers a humbucker that is overwound and tapped in the default position so that when you split it into a single coil it uses the extra wind to beef up the sound of the single coil?

They have tried to address the weaknesses of splitting a humbucker and their solution is pretty cool. I don't know what other companies offer it but I like it. That said I would prefer instead of noiseless pickups they provided really good single coils and then utilised something like the Suhr silent single coil method which uses a dummy coil inside the guitar, that way you get genuine single coils that are about as quiet as a humbucker.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Contributor

I am interested in The Ultra Series. Specifically the alder SSS strat and the alder tele. I own two mid 80s MIJ strats and a mid 80s MIJ Tele. They are great guitars. I am a huge Ibanez guy. I have 3 Ibanez Strats (roadstar 2s). I was expecting the big Fender announcement to be a big let down but I am actually interested in the Ultra series. Will I spend $1900 on it...that remains to be seen.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon, but IMO the Ultra series just looks like the same guitars Fender has been making since the 1950's.
I was more interested in the interview but posted the Ultra series because we like guitars.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
I was more interested in the interview but posted the Ultra series because we like guitars.
That was a great interview thank you for posting it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode