Fender user considering S770PB - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Fender user considering S770PB

Hello all,

I've been playing guitars with what I would consider more of a classic design, such as a Strat or a Les Paul.

This was fine because I like classic rock and blues. However, I suddenly decided that I want to broaden my spectrum with more technical playing and maybe get something with a locking trem and 24 frets.
(I have a Clapton signature with a blocked trem and I'm too afraid to unblock it for trem use...)

Since two of the finest guitar players, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, play Ibanez guitars, so I decided to trust their decision (although I'm slightly worried about the different neck feeling... haven't tried the Wizard III neck yet).

I guess I still have a preference to rounder-edged guitars than pointy ones like a RG, so the S770PB with a natural finish and smooth edges seemed ideal in terms of its looks.

My question is, is this guitar something I can roll back into classic rock and blues with, if the "technical" playing doesn't work out for me?
I'm not a gigging musician, so nobody will criticize me for "using a metal guitar to play the blues." I know I won't mind the Ibanez headstock if I ever play an older style of music with this guitar. If it sounds nice to my ears, it's a nice-sounding guitar.

I'm a bit torn between the S770PB and a Mexican Deluxe Fender Strat; the Fender would be the safe bet since I already like Fenders, but I don't want to miss out on something that could be an eye-opener to a whole different world of guitar playing...

Any advices?

Thank you all in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Re: Fender user considering S770PB

If you guys would like to recommend other guitars (even "pointy" guitars like RG) for various reasons such as trem system, sturdiness, stock pickups, etc. I'd be grateful for that too!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 AM

Though they may be best suited to metal, both RG's and S series are prety versitle. All I can say is walk into your local GC and sit down with one or 2 of them and see how you like them.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:23 AM

I have an RG I put some DiMarzio Breed's into. They are awesome pickups for a wide array of sounds. Turn the tone up and put on some distortion and you've got all the punch you need. Roll back the tone and volume a bit and the clean tone is damn nice. Having them in HSH on the RG is nice too because it gives me such a huge array of sounds all from one guitar. Definitely a sweet pickup.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 AM

You could always go with something like a used 540. Better trem, wizard (or ultra) neck, and you can find lots floating around with flamed tops if you want the classy, non shred look.

Going with the Mexican Strat doesn't really help you branch out much.

Last edited by TAorama; 09-25-2012 at 12:39 AM.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxopwn View Post
I have an RG I put some DiMarzio Breed's into. They are awesome pickups for a wide array of sounds. Turn the tone up and put on some distortion and you've got all the punch you need. Roll back the tone and volume a bit and the clean tone is damn nice. Having them in HSH on the RG is nice too because it gives me such a huge array of sounds all from one guitar. Definitely a sweet pickup.
Yeah... I forgot to mention that the HSH is another reason why I'm looking at Ibanez guitars in addition to a locking trem and 24 frets
Breeds actually showed up on the pickup picker on DiMarzio website! Definitely will check it out if I succeed in the "Ibanez Acquisition Project."

Last edited by BC9153; 09-25-2012 at 12:52 AM.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
You could always go with something like a used 540. Better trem, wizard (or ultra) neck, and you can find lots floating around with flamed tops if you want the classy, non shred look.

Going with the Mexican Strat doesn't really help you branch out much.
Is the trem on S540 the Lo Pro? I've always felt somewhat iffy about used instruments, although the same view on used cars was changed pleasantly sometime this summer...

I agree with you on the Mexican Strats not helping me branch out. I've always wanted a Strat with Texas Specials on it, but I would equally love to try a completely different beast of a guitar!

By the way, do you think that it'll be hard for me to get used to the Wizard III neck after playing on Fender necks? I guess I'll find out once I try them out at a store, but I've heard Wizard type necks are love-it-or-hate-it kind of necks...

Last edited by BC9153; 09-25-2012 at 12:54 AM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbaldwin View Post
Though they may be best suited to metal, both RG's and S series are prety versitle. All I can say is walk into your local GC and sit down with one or 2 of them and see how you like them.
Hopefully the GC people won't be disappointed by my cheesy blues licks after expecting some shredding after they see me pick up an Ibanez
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC9153 View Post
Is the trem on S540 the Lo Pro? I've always felt somewhat iffy about used instruments, although the same view on used cars was changed pleasantly sometime this summer...

I agree with you on the Mexican Strats not helping me branch out. I've always wanted a Strat with Texas Specials on it, but I would equally love to try a completely different beast of a guitar!

By the way, do you think that it'll be hard for me to get used to the Wizard III neck after playing on Fender necks? I guess I'll find out once I try them out at a store, but I've heard Wizard type necks are love-it-or-hate-it kind of necks...
I think it's the Edge on the early ones, and Lo-Pro on the later ones(?). But it's like buying anything else used. Shop smart and you can get a great deal and a great instrument. Lotta Ibbys from the late 80s/early 90s still around in fantastic shape, and they were quality guitars built to last.

The Wizard III will be a little fatter than the original Wizard, but yeah, you'd have to try it and see how it suits you. If you like, or can tolerate, thinner necks, you'll like the Wizards. If you gotta play a baseball bat, maybe not.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
I think it's the Edge on the early ones, and Lo-Pro on the later ones(?). But it's like buying anything else used. Shop smart and you can get a great deal and a great instrument. Lotta Ibbys from the late 80s/early 90s still around in fantastic shape, and they were quality guitars built to last.

The Wizard III will be a little fatter than the original Wizard, but yeah, you'd have to try it and see how it suits you. If you like, or can tolerate, thinner necks, you'll like the Wizards. If you gotta play a baseball bat, maybe not.
One thing I'm somewhat worried about, and won't be taken care of unless I choose a different guitar because it IS how the S series is designed, is the thinness of the body.

I'm sure the experts have it all figured out and decided it was fine (that's probably why it's on market), but do you ever feel like it'll be fragile because of the thin body?

In terms of necks, I haven't played a real baseball bat-type neck. The soft V neck on my Clapton Strat feels less "filling" to my hands than those on, say, Standards or '60s type necks. I like the neck on my Epiphone Les Paul better than the Strat in some ways, which feels a bit thinner than the Strat neck.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:27 AM

The thinness of the body will not be an issue unless you also use it for a sledgehammer. It's ergonomic, but not fragile. That shouldn't bother you at all. I had a Sabre back in the early 90', and never felt I had to treat it with any more care than I did my RG's.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:11 AM

Sabers are pretty nice. Just find one with a good neck. I've used my s420 for just about everything, played in church bands, played jazz gigs, played in jazz school. If possible, find a SV with the synchronizr. They're more like Strats than the RGs.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:22 AM

+1 for the s540. Killer guitars. IMO the only thing as good in today's S lineup is the s5470. If 24 frets is a necessity, then you should at least demo a pointy RG550 before you decide.

The S body isn't fragile, they are not that thin in the middle. Sometimes the necks crack on the older ones, if the nut has been overtightened.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:35 AM

Reviews: 15

If you're not dead set on having 24 frets, I'd look at the JS lineup. I think the JS neck profile would be an easier transition from LP's and Strats. The pickups and coil split will give you plenty of versatility too.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Make sure you play an S for a while before you buy one (actually, this should be the rule for any guitar!).

There's something about the S series that just doesn't jive with me, and I'm an Ibanez guy. It's not the thinness, because I also love Parkers. I don't know what it is. Every time I pick up an S it's like "well, this is a nice guitar... but..." And they are nice guitars; they're just got for me.

Yeah, if you like the thicker necks, the JS series might be more your thing.

BUT, if you are really wanted a change, you might not want something that is too similar to what you are used to.

Most of the entry/mid range RGs will come with Wizard III necks. The Wizard III isn't super thin, but it's probably thinner than what you're used to, and the radius is much larger so the top of the neck will seem flatter (which is good for technical playing).

The only thing really thinner than a Wizard III you will find will be on the higher end Ibanezes (Wizard Premium, Wizard Prestige, etc.) or on some older, used RGs, which may have the Wizard I which will feel as thin as an iPhone if you used to Fender necks.

Here's a page with some more info about the dimensions of different Ibanez necks and when they were used:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

As mentioned, you also may want to check out something with a push/pull coil splitting so you can get even more versatility in your sound, although I don't know of any current Ibanezes off hand that do this (it can be added aftermarket).

Tags
blues , fender , s770pb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode