Fender VG Stratocaster - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Fender VG Stratocaster

wow ..

Played one the other day at the local music store ..

Junk.

Felt like a cheap,cheap mexican strat .. tuners were cheap and crappy ..knobs were loose,but the worst was the alternating "tunings". The pickups are SO weak, i mean, there is a baritone tuning but the pickups are so weak that the tone is beyond muddy ,and the digital setting SUCK the tone out of the guitar.I tried several amps, including a marshall Tube stack and it Sucked.As much as Fender kicks ass , this guitar is deffinitely not worth the cash that they want for it.I know it's an old guitar,but my guitar shop is too cheap to buy an abundance of new ,nice guitars.

Just my 2 cents. /end Rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Fender VG Stratocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbird View Post
wow ..

Played one the other day at the local music store ..Junk.
The general public seems to agree because Fender discontinued them a few days ago.

Quote:
...the worst was the alternating "tunings". The pickups are SO weak, i mean, there is a baritone tuning but the pickups are so weak that the tone is beyond muddy
When you use any of the alternate tunings, you're not hearing the guitar's magnetic pickups but rather the virtual pickups. I just wanted to clear that up.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
/end Rant
Is there more?

Bad joke.

Yeah, sounds pretty bad. It's Fender's effort at keeping up with the Gibson robot guitars, and by my thoughts, they got it really wrong.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 PM

I really wanted to like it, but I agree that it just didn't do it for me. I didn't have an issue with the playability (standard AM strat, which I like) or quality, but the "modeling" just left me dry. Why would I want to saddle my guitar with lame modeling sounds? I can just get a processor for that (much cheaper and upgradable too). The Robot Guitars are a much better idea, IMO, since they preserve the integrity of the instrument's sound. The V sounds like a V, the Paul a Paul, etc. The VG took the sound over- it was more of a Roland guitar than a Fender.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 AM

Hate to say it, but I feel that way about all Strats.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

well then the virtual pickup sucks,not the magnetic pickups. Sorry I always thought fender as the best,but just disappointed with this guitar.It seems there's alot of fender hate on this site,even before posting the VG thread.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 PM

i', not a hater. I love many Fender models and their unique sound. Its just the VG that didn't do it for me. Of course, the full-line price increase is a whole 'nother story...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
It seems there's alot of fender hate on this site,even before posting the VG thread.
Let me guess, you just showed up, right? Lots of us, mods included, own Fenders.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 PM

Yeah I love fenders. I play my strat way more than my Ibanez, even though the frets are all worn down. The neck just feels nicer.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest4 View Post
Hate to say it, but I feel that way about all Strats.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
well then the virtual pickup sucks,not the magnetic pickups. Sorry I always thought fender as the best,but just disappointed with this guitar.It seems there's alot of fender hate on this site,even before posting the VG thread.
Plenty of Gibson haters too if you look real hard

I had a VG strat for a while and traded it in on an American Deluxe. No contest there. The underlying Strat was fine, but nothing special, but the modelling was a bit thin and artificial and the battery life a joke.

HOWEVER, the VG predated the Robot guitar by a couple of years, so it was hardly Fender's "response" to Gibson.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 AM

So has anyone tried the Line6 Variax, seeing as that works on the same principle (does it?) ?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:48 PM

I tried a (now discontinued) Variax 5 string bass, and it was a ton of fun A friend of mine has a Variax acoustic, and its OK, but not my cuppa tea. Sounds great but not very easy to play.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:32 PM

I purchased the VG during closeout at the $999 price and it's a steal at that price. I read here that someone felt the feel of the VG was that of a cheap Mex strat... I strongly disagree. I have 2 mex strats and I'm very fond of them, they're adequate and produce a pleasing single coil sound. I know mexican strats and this my friend is no mexican stat...the VG is easily the better player by far. It holds tune better, the jumbo frets are a joy, passive pups are a far cry sweeter then the mex pups and, in active mode...no 60 cycle hum.

I have, for the last 8 years, been fortunate to work in a constantly busy blues band in the Albany, NY area. Carting 3 guitars (main guitar, back up and slide set up axe) to gigs is a problem because of the footprint I'm limited to in some smaller venues. I appreciate a guitar that can switch to G or drop D tuning with the flick of the wrist or switch to resonator or humbucking. Granted, the VG may not be for the home recording musician armed with a barrage of guitars within easy reach but if you're playing blues through a Deluxe Reverb to a live audience and you want to "kick it up a notch" it sure is nice to have the tonal flexibility at a moments notice. The VG is not perfect but it's solid and it provides flexibility on the fly, on the stage...and that is where it's real value comes to play. I'm very pleased with the VG.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmaker59 View Post
I purchased the VG during closeout at the $999 price and it's a steal at that price. I read here that someone felt the feel of the VG was that of a cheap Mex strat... I strongly disagree. I have 2 mex strats and I'm very fond of them, they're adequate and produce a pleasing single coil sound. I know mexican strats and this my friend is no mexican stat...the VG is easily the better player by far. It holds tune better, the jumbo frets are a joy, passive pups are a far cry sweeter then the mex pups and, in active mode...no 60 cycle hum.

I have, for the last 8 years, been fortunate to work in a constantly busy blues band in the Albany, NY area. Carting 3 guitars (main guitar, back up and slide set up axe) to gigs is a problem because of the footprint I'm limited to in some smaller venues. I appreciate a guitar that can switch to G or drop D tuning with the flick of the wrist or switch to resonator or humbucking. Granted, the VG may not be for the home recording musician armed with a barrage of guitars within easy reach but if you're playing blues through a Deluxe Reverb to a live audience and you want to "kick it up a notch" it sure is nice to have the tonal flexibility at a moments notice. The VG is not perfect but it's solid and it provides flexibility on the fly, on the stage...and that is where it's real value comes to play. I'm very pleased with the VG.

Good to hear you enjoy your guitar man.I only stated that it felt like a cheap mexican strat,because the condition my music shop kept it in.Their guitars are always (even the gibson les pauls) out of tune, dry ,cracked fret board, TERRIBLE action,and ****ty strings.I guess if i played one that was set up properly it would be a great axe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode