Fernandes guitars from 90' :) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Fernandes guitars from '90 :)

Well, I played few new fernandes guitars and know that they are very good (especially liked revolver elite neck-thru - I actually felt vibrations of strings in my whole body ).
But while I was looking for some nice sustainer equiped guitar I found '90s japan market ones. The exact model I'm thinking about is APG-85S which is earlier name of Dragonfly. It has an inscribtion - 'USA CUSTOM' on headstock - but I'm not sure what it means, I think that's some kind of series rather than made in USA model. It has Frt-5pro-Trs (Takeuchi) bridge.

Any additional info would be appreciated, especially:
Bridge opinion compered to fernandes frt-11, OFR and Ibanez Edge/Lo-Pro
Pickups - I think they are fernandes but who knows?
overall fnish, sound quality maybe in comparison with today's models

Most of info about this guitar is on Japanese sites, so if any of japanese-speaking users could find sth and translate few words it would be great,

thanks!

Last edited by rzul; 08-28-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:17 AM

Reviews: 59
Re: Fernandes guitars from 90' :)

What kind of bridge does that have on it? Give us a couple closer shots of that area as well as the pickups and we might be able to offer some better opinions, especially if online information is tough to get in English. I've got a couple 80's Fernandes guitars I picked up while living in Japan, so I know how difficult it can be to get info on them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

As I mentioned above the bridge is Frt-5pro-Trs (Takeuchi). I'm not sure but I think pickups are fernandes. thanks for any info

and here is this strange USA Custom inscribtion:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

anyone?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:52 PM

Reviews: 59

My guess is the USA Custom refers to it being made in the US factory out of LA that was opened in 1992. As for the bridge, it looks like a Fernandes licensed Floyd pro. I can't say whether it's better or not without playing it, but my guess would be that you would want to get the measurements before dropping money on a replacement after-market trem from Ibanez or OFR.
The pickups, at least the neck, look like they're Fernandes. Although usually a humbucker, there is a Sustainer as a single coil, this pick-up looks like it has the logo on it. The mini-switches also point to a Sustainer since you wouldn't need 2 for a coil tap or something like that. I can't say anything about the other pickups.
That's about the best I can do on this particular guitar.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

thank you

unfortunately the seller didn't respond to my questions for 4 days, and yesterday somebody bought it so maybe next time I'll have oppertunity to try it

Tags
apg , fernandes , sustainer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode