Fernandes sustainer strat - ...arrived a couple weeks ago - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Fernandes sustainer strat - ...arrived a couple weeks ago

Here's one of my latest experimental toys from ebay...

http://jemsiteforum.com/sharefiles/i...nandes%201.JPG

It's a Fernandes strat copy with sustainer...and it was fairly cheap. *I've wanted a traditional looking strat, but with something more. *Had been toying with the idea of a Warmoth project, but thought this would be worth a whirl. *Thought I'd post a little review as these get inquiries here occasionally.

Impressions...

The body is what first attracted me...it appears to be solid alder (3 pc?) with a 50s style tobacco burst...good looking finish. *It's fairly light, partly due I'm sure to the extra routing for the sustainer electronics.

The neck is fairly traditional strat style, small frets, shallow v--playable but does not have a high quality feel. *Maybe a Warmoth replacement needed?

The hardware is so, so...the trem functions about like any strat trem (ain't no edge).

The pickups are not very good...lowish output and not impressive tone. *I have a set of Fender CS Fat 50s I may pop into the middle and bridge to see how that helps. *I was pleased to find that the neck pup functions as a magnetic pup when the sustainer is off...it sounds kinda thin, but at least is works.

The sustainer works...as far as I know it's the standard Fernandes unit. *It only functions with the bridge pup...a bit limiting IMHO. *It doesn't pump out the sustain as I expected it would...it works best with lots of gain and more volume...a compressor helps too. *I suspect it only works as well as the bridge pup. *Probably needs a higher output pup in the bridge to make it sing--thinking a SD Lil' 59.

For comparison, I just picked up a cheap/mint/used Fender Mexi strat...which generally feels and sounds like a slightly better guitar (this mexi happens to be one of the better ones I've played). *I think with some upgrades (neck & pups) the Fernandes might be a nice piece, and still come in at just a tad over $400 total.

Anybody else have experience with sustainer guitars?
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 10:02 PM

Fernandes sustainer strat

I have a Fernandes Monterey with a sustainer system.

It should sing like hell no matter how much output the pick ups have, some suggestions:
  • One of those knobs should control the intensity of the sustainer, turn it all the way up.
  • There should be a push/pull pot that changes it from sustain to feedback.
  • And lastly, and most importantly, check the battery in the back of the guitar. There should be a red light that you can see through the plastic back-peace. If the battery is low, the sustainer won't work nearly as well, and the pick ups will lose output. If the battery runs out completely, the guitar is dead.

I hope this helped, but you probably already knew all that. I don't know if your guitar works the same way as mine, though.

Tags
bridge pup , neck pup , strat style , strat trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode