FGM100..thoughts..? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

FGM100..thoughts..?

Hallo..i am maybe going to buy this one..its beautiful Desert Yellow finish..
It is going to replace my 2000 rg550ex..
what do you think about that..
only one thing that bothers me-it has 22 frets..but actually, i think that that is more than enough..but it was always my habit not to even look the ones without 24 frets..so it is a bit strange to me , i guess..
it also has lo pro edge..it has much better than my stock ibanezes..etc etc etc..
Any guys from the forum played this one..hve any thoughts about the guitar.?
I am eager to hear it..!
Thank you guys..!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 07:53 PM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: FGM100..thoughts..?

Buy it you won't regret it, I own a couple of them and they are simply fantastic,
great tone and playability! a sheer beauty!!! check mine out:

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: FGM100..thoughts..?

Yeah..it looks really beautifull..hopefoly i will get it..
and what do you think..how big improvement it is compared to my rg550ex..2000 is the year of production..stock pus, also lo pro edge..worth about 200 euros investing for fgm?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 06:19 PM

Talking Re: FGM100..thoughts..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pera_a777
Yeah..it looks really beautifull..hopefoly i will get it..
and what do you think..how big improvement it is compared to my rg550ex..2000 is the year of production..stock pus, also lo pro edge..worth about 200 euros investing for fgm?
It sure is worth every Euro mate!!! it would be perfect if it had 24 frets but it still kicks serious butt!!!!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Vendor

My stance on them will never change.

FGM's are pure oddballs. There's no string tree so the strings are 2mm [or more] from the nut base at the headstock side [although the spacing of the truss cover holes are perfect to use for a tree, although a bit too close to the nut], the nuts are typically hugely high, to get decent action you get zero pull up range on the trem, add a big neck shim to free the trem up and now the strings are well away from the body, and the whole flush mount pickup bezels and pickups become redundant and goofey. To me, just oddballs.
Rich is online  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 06:42 PM

Exclamation Re: FGM100..thoughts..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
My stance on them will never change.

FGM's are pure oddballs. There's no string tree so the strings are 2mm [or more] from the nut base at the headstock side [although the spacing of the truss cover holes are perfect to use for a tree, although a bit too close to the nut], the nuts are typically hugely high, to get decent action you get zero pull up range on the trem, add a big neck shim to free the trem up and now the strings are well away from the body, and the whole flush mount pickup bezels and pickups become redundant and goofey. To me, just oddballs.
Well then I must own 2 really good ones because I do not have any of the issues you mentioned and belive me I like my guitars set up really low and with plenty of pull up in the trem. These guitars are just gorgeous and great players.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Vendor

There's no such thing unless somebody else has shimmed them before you got them. I've had 5, all the same, no pullup on the trem at 2mm action. 2 of them at 2mm was crushing the paint under the trem in a dive. Raise the trem to get range and the strings are 1/2" away from the pickups [not that I have one here to measure, but, high in comparison].
Rich is online  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Dee

The FGM's, especially the yellow ones, rule. Buy it.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Vendor

correction, I've had 4, not 5. 3 100's and a 400
Rich is online  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Rich..from what year of production were those you had..? Do you think that it is a design flaw..or something like that..?
It is hard for me to understand that they would make a screwed signature, gambale, model..and what i have red so far on the net, it always says that lowaction with no buzz is there..but still, noone complaints about the pull up space..but i know you are the guitar guru..so...can you , please be wrong..?
Olie, did you buy those guitars new..were they serviced..or something like that..can you nicely pull up and dive..with really really low, but playable action..?
And thank you guys for replies..i still really hard wanna buy this one..but know you are giving me some second thoughts..but still..i really love the looks..hm....lets hear more opinions..?
And does someone know a value of a fgm100dy from 1991, with lo pro edge..?
Thank you..
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Dee

The value would (I guess) be pretty high if it's in good condition. It's hard to give a figure, but they're rare. More rare than an RG550 in DY, that's for sure. I would LOVE an FGM in DY. Amazing guitar. I don't care about having a huge range on the bridge either. Pull-ups are nice, but who cares?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Vendor

I don't remember specific years but if you check the catalogs each model was only available for a very limited time.
Rich is online  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 01:48 PM

Lightbulb Re: FGM100..thoughts..?

Quote:
There's no such thing unless somebody else has shimmed them before you got them. I've had 5, all the same, no pullup on the trem at 2mm action. 2 of them at 2mm was crushing the paint under the trem in a dive. Raise the trem to get range and the strings are 1/2" away from the pickups [not that I have one here to measure, but, high in comparison].
Rich I know you know you're stuff specially when it comes down to guitar set ups and such, I wouldn't even begin to argue with someone who possesses so much more knowledge than me in the subject, having said that I'm sure of what I have and I know how my guitars are set up, the action is set up at 2mm the neck isn't shimmed and I can pull up 2 whole steps and full dive on the pink FGM100 and the yellow one is set up the same way no shim 2mm action 1 step and 1/2 pull up, full dive no crushing paint and definitely not 1/2" away from the pick ups, so there and I just measured everything right now. The guitars had no shim when I bought them from their previous owners and as soon as I got them I took them apart to check them and then I took them to my Guitar techs at Third Coast which is the best shop in Chicago for a full set up and the necks were not shimmed, the only time I have necks shimmed is when the trems are not recessed like in older 80's guitars.
You better than anybody knows that no 2 guitars are same so it's pointless to compare them to others you've had or worked on, just because someone works on let's say Toyotas and he personally owened a couple used ones that were rather bad that does not mean that ALL Toyotas are bad, and as you said FGM's might be oddballs but amongst those there sure will be good ones too, after all it's Ibanez building them and the were MIJ right? I mean you do agree that Ibanez are great guitars and that's why you collect/sell them right?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Vendor

They may be good guitars but that doesn't change my experience with FG's. I'd love to be able to inspect yours to see for myself, because it's far different from my experience.
Rich is online  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:27 PM

Talking Re: FGM100..thoughts..?

Quote:
They may be good guitars but that doesn't change my experience with FG's. I'd love to be able to inspect yours to see for myself, because it's far different from my experience.
My wife is from Jersey actually Hillsdale, if I was in town I'd swing over to your place in a heartbeat so that you could check my guitars out for yourself and I could also see your whole insane collection in person and maybe armwrestle you into selling one of those great DNA's to me (Yeah right!!! not like I could afford it anyway) but really, If am ever in town I'd be honored if you allow me stop by your place...

Tags
air norton , dual sound , guitar tech , neck shim , pro edge , seymour duncan , string tree , tone zone , truss cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode