FGM400QM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

FGM400QM

I got one! Today.

No pics yet cuz its dark now and the flash pics dont really work well but shes a beauty n plays like hell.

grtz

Last edited by mike80sguy; 03-09-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:18 PM

Re: FGM400QM

Congrats!! That's one of the hardest to find S's. & IMO one of the most beautiful.

I cant wait to see the pics.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Great stuff this FGM

I love the recessed lay out of the pups and trem. Its got a minor ding just up from the mid pup but nothing serious. Some dings on the bottom side, also nothng serious and out of direct sight.

Overall shape is great all original very minor wear etc. Playing with the idea of fitting a tonezone/breed bridge pup and hottracks neck pup. But thats still to be seen.

The pics are not all that sharp due to lack of light on this grainy day in the Netherlands.

http://mike.dubachnet.com/images/Gui...M/DSC08651.JPG

http://mike.dubachnet.com/images/Gui...M/IMG_1644.JPG

http://mike.dubachnet.com/images/Gui...M/IMG_1645.JPG

http://mike.dubachnet.com/images/Gui...M/IMG_1646.JPG

http://mike.dubachnet.com/images/Gui...M/IMG_1648.JPG

http://mike.dubachnet.com/images/Gui...M/IMG_1652.JPG

http://mike.dubachnet.com/images/Gui...M/IMG_1653.JPG

enjoy
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 AM

Very nice looking
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 AM

Thats beautiful . . .
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 PM

Looks great Mike! How do you like the sound of the stock pups?

I'll need to post some pics of my FGM400 sometime...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Im not sure yet Fizzy. They sounded pretty warm and round on the Bassman that the previous owner had it plugged into. At home Ice only ran it thru my Pocketpod (which I use for home practice and DI pc recording) and compared it to my RG500 20th. Thus far Im pretty content with it but seriously, one cannot judge pups by means of a Pocket pod. Next Friday Ill plug it into my DSL and Ill know for sure. I might swap the brigde and neck for a tonezone/breed and hot tracks resp.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Very nice, I looove it !
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Fizzmeister,

Ive hooked it up to my standard rigg without fx. The pups gotta go man. The Brigde pup is too rough on the treble and way to muddy in low. Not agressive enough. The neck pup doenst work for me either. theyll be swapped by a breed and a pro track resp. The mid pup might go too but i wont know untill a swap the neck n bridge.

Even for a cool warm jazzy sound these pups dont do it for me. I dont play jazz, but I know what I want jazz to sound like and this aint it.

But, it still is a great players guitar. Never had action like this without fretbuzz or whatnot and that,

is amazing.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Cool Mike, let us know how it sounds with the new pups.

I've been thinking of maybe swapping out the pups in mine, but I'm in no rush. My FGM100 certainly has more bottom end than the FGM400, I was trying to decide if it was just the pups or whether the maple top was having an influence. I think the top's too thin to be having a major effect on the sound so I guess it's the pups.

You're right with the playability though, the FGM400 is great to play.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking about that top too but then again it is really thin. and even if it would effect it by brighting the sound it still doesnt make up for that wobbly low end cuz it just wouldnt be there

The breed is allready here, the pro track is ordered so if im lucky and the dimarzio gods have their stuff in stock ill be swapping away next week
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Dee

That's a nice guitar Mike, congrats.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 AM

Hey Mike, found the wiring diagram for the FGM400 on the Ibanez site:

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

I had Dimarzio send it to me allready ;-)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

I fitted my breed and Pro track today and came across something weird.
1) It seemed that the original brigde was wired wrong as red and black were crossed in reference to the diagram dimarzio sent me (which is the same wiring as Ibanezís original bridge pup according to Their diagram above). So Red was connected to the 5 way switch and black to bare. At first I figured Id go with that since thatís how the guitar came. Only when I hooked her up the breed kinda sounded like a singelcoil so I reversed black and red, the way it is in the diagram and that seemed to do the trick. Does this mean that the stock pup had always been wired wrong or is it common for colors to differ from ibz and dimarzio pups? Or do IBZ tech just srew around with FGM400's since I read somewhere esle that Fizzy had push pull reversed.
2) Underneath the stock neck pup was a sort of ground wire screwed into the body (making contact to the bottom of the pup) and soldered to the tone pot. Since the DP188 magnet is a hell of lot bigger than the stock I had to ditch the underlying screw (and thus disconnecting it) in order to make it fit. I recon the black wire from the DP188 would replace this since black, green, white Šnd bare are all going in the same direction. I this a correct assumption?
And why have 4 wires (2 more that the stock pup) and 1 bare and then have 3 of em go togher? Who needs 4 wires when you dont use em.

Three, it all seems to work if I just follow Dimarzios diagram and I cant wait to hook upto my Marshall. The breed seems pretty agressive even thru my pocket pod

Grtz Mike

Last edited by mike80sguy; 03-19-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Tags
breed bridge , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pup , dimarzio pups , dual sound , fat tone , guitar players , neck pup , super distortion , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode