Final RG2027XVV Update! - Thanks for the suggestions. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Final RG2027XVV Update! - Thanks for the suggestions.

Final update on my RG2027 for anyone who is interested.
Complete changes/modifications-
1. Lemon oil touch up on neck. The board came kind of dry. Adding Lemon Oil (Hope's brand) darkened up the rosewood nicely, and gave the fingerboard a nice, smooth feel.
2. Tung oil finish on back of neck. The 2027 neck is basically a natural finished neck. I ran some fine #000 grade steel wool on the back, and then added Hope's 100% Tung Oil. *Only one coat added. The neck literally feels like silk.
3. KJG Mod. My thanks to Kevan for his help and input, and for having the vision to not only see this possibilty, but to make it a reality. This mod involves swapping out the old 2 way on/on mini toggle switch for a 3 way on/on/on mini switch, thus allowing for piezo/piezo-magnetic/magnetic output selections. Performs wonderfully. It in no way changes your tone, (The exception being when in mono mode, and piezo-magnetic mode being selected, you can 'pan' between and purely magnetic sound, and a purely acoustic sound, and of course, everything in between. This takes the guitar, along with the 5 way switching, WELL out of the realm of conventional guitars, and yields some very sweet, pleasing tones) but adds tremendous variety to an already feature-laden guitar.
4. DiMarzio pickups. I added the Tone Zone 7 for the bridge, and the Air Norton 7 for the neck. My thanks to Kevan, Rich, and the Jemsiters for their input in this selection. The first and most immediate difference between the stock Ibanez pickups (which I installed into a Fender Squier Stagemaster 7) is that the DiMarzio pickups GREATLY increase sustain. (A DRAMATIC difference here. It must be the Virtual Vintage technology in the DiMarzio pickups. The standard pickups sustained very nicely, but the DiMarzios almost make this Floyd equipped, bolt-neck guitar sound like it is fixed bridge and neck thru.) Sonically, they are both more crisp and clear the the stock pickups, and more aggressive. It must be stated, the stock pickups, IMHO, sound excellent. Very smooth, creamy, and rich, with decent power and attack. Think 'vintage'. The DiMarzios are much more... modern in tonality. These two models are extremely high in the midrange department. Not annoyingly so... in fact, it's very musical and harmonically rich. Both pickups scream very easily, and harmonics leap off the fretboard. Even with MAJOR distortion, chords ring clear, and blend very smoothly. The TZ7 is more middy than the AN7, but only slightly, while the AN7 has more bass responce (Of course, their placement on the guitar contributes to this tonality.) I would personally rate the EQ curve of these pickups at...
AN7 Treble-5 Mid-7-Bass-7
TZ7 Treble-5 Mid-9-Bass-5
The pickups are in no way muddy, but very articulate for all that mid responce. Hot, loud, strong, but still pleasant, and very, very smooth. Perhaps a rich Mocha Cappuchino describes them well. These pickups do not sound like Limp Bizkit! Closer to mind would be perhaps Godsmack, or Eddie Van Halen. (pre-Sammy) Just an example. In split and parallel mode, they are very sweet, and clear. Truly some of the nicest clean tones I've heard. Altogether, a good choice. I would give them between a 9-10, as I'm very satisfied. However, if anyone reading this has the 2027 with stock pickups, don't worry, to my ears, the stocks sound just as nice, only different. A final thought, the chrome bobbins on the DiMarzios just look SO good with the Cosmo black and chrome hardware. Altogether, it looks mean, but very elegant. Maybe Bruce Wayne... I dunno. But I do know I like it!
Thanks to Glen and the Mods for a forum where I recieved lots of great help and info. It's the reason I became a Jemsite member!

Total Cost- Approx $1450 US
Total Retail Worth- Approx $1970 US
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 04:44 AM

Final RG2027XVV Update!

Sounds cool! But unfortunately reading this post has reminded me of why I'd sell my soul if I hadn't already (for 5£ while drunk to one of my then flatmates). So the liver it is :biggrin:

Seriously, I really want one of these babies, and you describing these mods has just made me drool more...

congrats man!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 08:26 AM

Final RG2027XVV Update!

Wordwolf,

Thanks for a well written piece. *I plan to someday soon go with the now infamous KJG wiring mod *(and maybe someday a stereo jack!!) along with a TZ7 for the bridge and a PAF 7 for the neck.

Got any pics of the body showing the new pups with the chrome bobbins??

Thanks again,

Randy
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 10:32 AM

Final RG2027XVV Update!

Chrome bobbins?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 11:37 AM

Final RG2027XVV Update!

I think he means pole pieces...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 12:32 PM

Final RG2027XVV Update!

I think that's what they call a "glowing review". *:-) *Might actually be neon in this case. *LOL *Thanks!

I'm glad I could help out. *I hope you enjoy the newly modified ride.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Final RG2027XVV Update!

Pole pieces, yep! DiMarzio calls 'em "bobbins" in their catalog. Go figure! Sorry, no pics as of yet. I suppose if I really want to work at it, I could take some and then *sigh* scan them, and then wait for crappy connection to upload them... We'll see. Yeah, it is glowing, but it's about the nicest guitar I've ever seen of played, so, I guess it only goes to show. If I got one compliment on this guitar at the shop, then I got 20. Everyone seemed to like it. I think maybe Rich's statement was right... Ibanez AXE stands for Audio eXcEllence!

Tags
air norton , chrome hardware , clean tone , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , eddie van halen , fixed bridge , ibanez pickups , kjg wiring mod , limp bizkit , mini toggle , neck thru , steel wool , toggle switch , tone zone , tung oil , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode