FINALLY, NGD of the Year (for me) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

FINALLY, NGD of the Year (for me)

I first saw this guitar around 2009 when my friend Dennis Kayzer purchased it and created an NGD thread on a few forums. I did not really know what to think of it, and quite frankly, I thought it was a little ugly.

Over time though, I started liking the shape more and more --- definitely an acquired taste. Eventually, I decided to check out Ulrich Teuffelís website, and read more about his guitars.

For those who havenít had a chance to check his site out, or havenít heard of Teuffel, the detail and work that goes into these is nuts. Even the screws on this guitar are hand polished and buffed. The pickups are also very unique, the bridge pickup is essentially a hot PAF, but tweaked and the neck pickup is a single coil with two offset bobbins. One bobbin picks up bass strings and the other picks up the treble ones. The pickups are sealed in a vacuum chamber with a special sealing substance.

Anyways, I think about a year ago, I bought a 7 string Tesla from Buzzy at Lark Street Music. I loved it, but I sold it accidentally because I am a stupid gearwhore. I have bought/sold hundreds of guitars and have only regretted selling 2-3 of them; that Tesla was my #1 regret! Right after I sold it, I put in an order for a new 7, but Ulrich said it would take two years to make, so I needed something to hold me over.

Fast forward to a few months ago, Kayzer put his red one up for sale, unfortunately I had just splurged on some other gear and could not pick it up. Another friend ended up buying it instead! After a lot of harassment, I managed to convince my friend to sell it to me!

I am just as pleased with my first 7 string Teuffel as I am with this one. This one sounds a bit more refined and tighter though, which is a good thing for me.

Like I mentioned, I have owned guitars from pretty much every boutique builder out there, but Teuffel has features that put him ahead of the others (IMO) because they are something you cannot get anywhere else.
...what are these features?
  • Ergonomics: I have nerve damage that affects my shoulders due to spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease. This usually means I canít play too much on the lower frets because it forces me to extend my shoulder out, but this guitar doesnít do that at all because of how compact the body is. It feels really really good to be able to play without nearly as much pain as a I experience when playing normal guitars.
  • Tone: The low end on these guitars especially is amazingly solid and punchy sounding. Tuning down on the guitar is usually a compromise that involves loosing attack, clarity, harmonic content due to larger strings and a few other factors...especially when you tune below C. With this guitar you can tune down very low while maintaining the same punch and tone you do in more conventional tunings. The Teuffel site and other places mention that the extended body is the reason that the low end is so solid sounding, but I didn't believe it at all until I actually played my Tesla 7! Its not marketing bull**** like I had imagined before every trying one of these.
  • Playability: The guitar is very very easy to play. Maintains extremely low acton without compromising tone or sounding thin.
Oh, and the knobs function as follows.

Top buttom = pickup selector

Three knobs by the strings = microphonic button, killswitch, and 60 cycle hum

...and then a vol + tone.

And now...pictures!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: FINALLY, NGD of the Year (for me)

Congratulations! sounds like it took some time to get back to you but I guess it was meant to be =) body style is so different I think it would take some getting used to. sounds like it is quite an amazing guitar...be cool to try one someday. what scale is that guitar? what's a guitar like that go for?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Congratulations! sounds like it took some time to get back to you but I guess it was meant to be =) body style is so different I think it would take some getting used to. sounds like it is quite an amazing guitar...be cool to try one someday. what scale is that guitar? what's a guitar like that go for?
Yeah it takes a little bit to get used to, it took me a few days the first time. The scale length is 25.6 I think.

Used, depending on how new they are, they go for 5000-6500ish. My new 7 was 10+ but I added a bunch of crazy specs.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:34 PM

NGD of the month, you mean.

Nice guitar - I always thought those were kind of cool looking, though I don't know how they'd look in action. Definitely would be curious to try one, but not $5-6k curious.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:39 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Yeah it takes a little bit to get used to, it took me a few days the first time. The scale length is 25.6 I think.

Used, depending on how new they are, they go for 5000-6500ish. My new 7 was 10+ but I added a bunch of crazy specs.
wow, too steep for my financial situation =[
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 01:05 PM

Congrats! Ergonomics, especially if it saves long term injury is so worth it. A friend of mine who has played excellently for many years had such a bad posture using regular Telecaster that he permanently damaged his muscles which leaves him unable to play in tempo anymore. The flow he once had comes out in out of context sputters. It's almost as if he has had a spinal injury. His brain sends a signal to his arms and hands but the mechanics of the injury don't allow for it to be carried out and causes a mechanical stifled playing similar to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrtc-8onOkw

I am not saying your regular and natural playing will turn into irregular playing but long term bad posture on standard guitars can seriously mess up the ole muscle action.

Today's most common and popular guitars are really no different in design than what existed centuries ago so all I can say is it's about time someone like Teuffel comes out and is visible in the marketplace. Other than them, I have only heard about Klein Guitars and Ovation Breadwinners in the past.

Scary medical conditions aside , I am sure the Teuffel is a joy to play with!

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-26-2015 at 01:16 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 02:10 PM

noice!! saw it on TGP too. I just joined : )
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
NGD of the month, you mean.

Nice guitar - I always thought those were kind of cool looking, though I don't know how they'd look in action. Definitely would be curious to try one, but not $5-6k curious.
I actually think you would dig them a lot. The bridge position sounds a lot like the PWH I have now but better. Same characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Congrats! Ergonomics, especially if it saves long term injury is so worth it. A friend of mine who has played excellently for many years had such a bad posture using regular Telecaster that he permanently damaged his muscles which leaves him unable to play in tempo anymore. The flow he once had comes out in out of context sputters. It's almost as if he has had a spinal injury. His brain sends a signal to his arms and hands but the mechanics of the injury don't allow for it to be carried out and causes a mechanical stifled playing similar to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrtc-8onOkw

I am not saying your regular and natural playing will turn into irregular playing but long term bad posture on standard guitars can seriously mess up the ole muscle action.

Today's most common and popular guitars are really no different in design than what existed centuries ago so all I can say is it's about time someone like Teuffel comes out and is visible in the marketplace. Other than them, I have only heard about Klein Guitars and Ovation Breadwinners in the past.

Scary medical conditions aside , I am sure the Teuffel is a joy to play with!
Yes agreed. It feels great being able to practice riffing again. For a long time I've just kind of kept to practicing lead stuff but I don't really enjoy it much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
noice!! saw it on TGP too. I just joined : )
Thank you!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I actually think you would dig them a lot. The bridge position sounds a lot like the PWH I have now but better. Same characteristics.
Well, look me up if you're ever in Boston.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM

I hope Ibanez can break out and make something very similar. The way there is no headstock and where the neck sits on the body makes it so the body doesn't twist and injure itself.

Everything is right there and even the fingers don't have to dance around this or that neck joint in order to play the high notes. You can use the same technique hitting an open E chord as soloing past the 20th fret. How nice is that and brands like Teuffel should send a message to Ibanez.

I actually like best how an ES-335 feels sitting down and where that puts the hands in position with the body. But the 335 has issues of being too bulky and cursed with sharp corners that don't work well after about 20 minutes of playing sitting down. The strats are great, too but the picking hand falls too far to the right (on right handed guitars) when sitting down and volume knob is in the way. Les Pauls sit fine but then again you have the same sharp corners as the 335, and like the strat the right hand is too far to the right. The tele is good in that there's no volume knob too close to picking hand but the right hand is also pushed too far right. Of all the solidbody shapes the SG is good and knobs are far enough away but the thing is neck heavy while standing. All the solidbody and hollowbody electrics still have deal breaking issues when it comes to ergonomics. As far as cost, looks, and sound the current designs are great but nobody put thought into how that should work with the human body.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-27-2015 at 12:43 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Made a video with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZg...ature=youtu.be
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 05:45 PM

Nice tone man! Thought I am not big fan of Teuffels but red works always for me!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:34 PM

I'll be honest, I totally clicked on this expecting it to be a for sale bump. You've almost made it a month and proved me wrong!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 PM

Reviews: 2

Congrats stealth
Hngd

I'm sorry to hear bout the nerves. I have severe damage and I know how it can hinder playing so glad u found a player that's unique

I like it man
($?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode