Finally sending out the 560 for paint and pickup??!!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Finally sending out the 560 for paint and pickup??!!!!

I have a 1988 RG560 I bought new that I'm sending out for fresh paint and possibly a bridge pickup. I've wanted to paint it kind of a seafoam green with a flashy pearl pickguard for quite awhile now and was a little upset when I saw the new cheap jem that came out just like I imagined mine. Now I feel like a copy cat even though I thought of it long before. Anyway I like the sound of my single coils and will be keeping them but my humbucker I'd be willing to change out. Anyone got any ideas what would be a good pickup? I'm kind of into the David Gilmore, Joe Satriani kind of sounds rather then any metal type stuff. The older I get the less distortion I use LOL.

Put this post in the wrong place. should've been in other 6 string Ibanez.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibanezsmaller.jpg (61.4 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by ChickenFkr; 10-10-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: add pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:03 AM

Re: Finally sending out the 560 for paint and pickup??!!!!

AT-1. Always AT-1. Nice thick sound and can do both lead and rhythm VERY well. I have that in my 1990 560 and it's amazing

Oh and it CAN do metal but Andy timmons is the furthest thing from metal and it works for all styles (outside of extreme metal). Great jack of all trades pup imo
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 12:14 PM

Reviews: 2

It looks pretty good from that shot man..... why the re-finish?

Give this a read-
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/be...ps-109555.html
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

The face is good, there's a chip all the way to the wood on the lower edge near the jack input, and a couple minor chips on the back. I dunno why refinish, it's either refinish or buy a new guitar, I got the itchy trigger finger and a couple hundred to spend lol
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 12:54 PM

Reviews: 6

i'd buy another guitar...that 560 is fine the way it is (battle scars and all)...for gilmour tones you're gonna need a 3 single coil guitar...i like the gravity storm pickups but have heard great things about the dimarzio paf anniversary pickups...paf pros have a good mellow tone too...d.m.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
i'd buy another guitar...that 560 is fine the way it is (battle scars and all)...for gilmour tones you're gonna need a 3 single coil guitar...i like the gravity storm pickups but have heard great things about the dimarzio paf anniversary pickups...paf pros have a good mellow tone too...d.m.
Thank you for reminding me of the GS. They are lower output evos with a Stratty Twang. REALLY interesting pickups. I have neck and bridge in my 1550. Still trying to get a sound I like from them but they are good pups.

I will warn you though, the one thing that makes them really special (or weird depends on perspective) is that 4th-6th strings are really humbucker-like, thick warm sound but strings 1-3 are really bright, Single coil-like. The bridge can do both rhythm and lead tones really well but you will definitely need to get used to that aspect with them.

This is not saying they are bad pickups, I like em for what they are, but they are very Vai: Unusual and out there
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:09 PM

hahaha...yeah i love the beefiness of the lower strings...they sing really well for leads too...but i can definitely see how they would be an acquired taste (i had to re-eq my amp for them)...lol...i like the way they sound when you hit the 2 and 4 positions split with a single in the middle on clean too...d.m.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Maybe a strat would make a great addition I know there's a couple American made standard strats in my area going for $600 in really fine shape.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
hahaha...yeah i love the beefiness of the lower strings...they sing really well for leads too...but i can definitely see how they would be an acquired taste (i had to re-eq my amp for them)...lol...i like the way they sound when you hit the 2 and 4 positions split with a single in the middle on clean too...d.m.
You'd be surprised but they work REALLY well with the Ibanez S1 single coil. I left my S1 in my 1550 (due to financial reasons ) but both position 2 and 4 are like almost Telecaster twangy. REALLY nice, it means I don't have to buy a Tellie to get the Tellie sound
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenFkr View Post
Maybe a strat would make a great addition I know there's a couple American made standard strats in my area going for $600 in really fine shape.
Forget Fender, find an FGN Strat MIJ and quality that is superior to Fender I've played both FGN and Fender strats, the FGNs blow the Fenders away imo.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:27 PM

if by s1 you're referring to the stock ibanez single in my 570...yep it's exactly what i use so no i wouldn't be surprised lol...as for a strat?...i bought a fender strat recently...2005 usa...great deal...pickups sound completely awesome...really thick neck though hahahaha...d.m.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
if by s1 you're referring to the stock ibanez single in my 570...yep it's exactly what i use so no i wouldn't be surprised lol...as for a strat?...i bought a fender strat recently...2005 usa...great deal...pickups sound completely awesome...really thick neck though hahahaha...d.m.
Yeah Fender necks are too thick. FGN necks are a little thinner, more comfortable to play, especially if you're used to Ibanez necks. I love FGNs

Sweet, you know about that awesome twang the S1s give the GS bridge and neck pups. REALLY nice sound eh?
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:47 PM

oh yeah...it's one of the things that sold me on the gs's...like you i left it in for financial purposes and was nicely surprised lol...d.m.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
oh yeah...it's one of the things that sold me on the gs's...like you i left it in for financial purposes and was nicely surprised lol...d.m.
My only problem is dialing in good metal tones with the GS. Still trying to figure that one out. I mean, the Qm pups in my RG685 give me great metal tones but the GS still eludes me. Guess I just gotta figure out some decent settings I guess lol lead tones are fine but the tonal quality of the GS makes it hard to dial in good rhythm tones when I also use strings 1-3 on some songs in the rhythm sections.

A little off topic but the stock Dimarzio IBZs in my 2550 are SWEET. That's my main Ibby in Eb tuning but those pups sound AMAZING. I took out the middle single because it was meh and replaced it with a Blue velvet (yes I found one that was still new in the package ) Made everything better
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 03:45 PM

i'll admit...i bought the fender because of the pickups and the thick neck...it makes me play more...ummm...tastefully...lol...i like having to fight it a bit...

i'm not sure the storms are really made for metal per se...then again i'm not sure what metal even is these days...everyone uses different stuff like emgs etc (i tended to use duncan customs when i played metal...fairly sharp sounding but still warm)...right now i'm using a soldano slo 100 virtual model...bass on 7, mids on 7, treble on about 6, presence on 10...seems to work pretty good for me...i do have a chorus, reverb and delay in it (pulled back to about 35% in the mix)...it's got a decent bite but not overtly harsh...definitely more of a hard rock tone and a far cry from the days i used to peg everything on 10 lol...

if you have other guitars for metal tones i'd suggest working out something different for the storms...variety is the spice of life ya know lol...d.m.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode