Finally swapped trems on my S470L - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Finally swapped trems on my S470L

I recieved a lefty OFR from Warmoth last week, and this weekend I got a chance to to put it in my S470L. The process was a bit of a pain, but it was worth it. I also swapped the trem block on my old lo-trs II to the new OFR since the block on the OFR was too long; the springs stuck out of the trem cavity with the OFR block and I couldn't put the cover back on. With the new OFR notes sustain longer and I can do all the floyd rose tricks without notes going out of tune. I also put on some new black pickup ring mounts and new black knobs replacing all the crappy cosmo hardware. Heres some pics of the way the guitar looked with the original parts:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Re: Finally swapped trems on my S470L

Here it is with no bridge

A pic of the trem cavity with the OFR and the old trs block on it

Pic of the new bridge

and the finished guitar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:14 PM

Hey man!
I have done such a swap before, but with a Gotoh floyd rose. If you can afford one, you should get the Gotoh. Its better quality than the OFR.

Anyway, regarding the trem block, the OFR from warmoth ships with different block sizes, I'm suprised your OFR didn't fit. You did not get the 36mm block?

In anycase, you should try using the OFR block even though it will stick out. Reason being, it WILL give you even more sustain. However, the tone would change a little, it should get brighter.

You can fashion a new trem cover to accomondate the OFR block sticking out... just go to those shops that make Plastic Trophies/Medals/Prizes, and ask them to bend up a piece of acrylic for you. I did that to my S520 when i swapped in the Gotoh floyd.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcows
Hey man!
I have done such a swap before, but with a Gotoh floyd rose. If you can afford one, you should get the Gotoh. Its better quality than the OFR.

Anyway, regarding the trem block, the OFR from warmoth ships with different block sizes, I'm suprised your OFR didn't fit. You did not get the 36mm block?

In anycase, you should try using the OFR block even though it will stick out. Reason being, it WILL give you even more sustain. However, the tone would change a little, it should get brighter.

You can fashion a new trem cover to accomondate the OFR block sticking out... just go to those shops that make Plastic Trophies/Medals/Prizes, and ask them to bend up a piece of acrylic for you. I did that to my S520 when i swapped in the Gotoh floyd.
I couldn't find a lefty gotoh floyd, but I would get one if I could. I'm also going to put a tremolno on it which would take up even more space in the trem cavity.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:57 AM

www.universaljems.com under the locking trems section, all the way down.

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bridgelocking.htm

I have emailed Allparts Japan on the availability of shorter trem blocks for the gotoh, they have them @ 36mm. But i dunno why it costs about $30 USD more! Anyway, larger trem block = more sustain so why not?!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 PM

Finally someone did a good job taking pictures of a direct swap with an OFR, thank you a lot!
i have a yamaha RGX421D, its shape is like an ibanez Rg, and it have a japanese Lo TRS pro bridge, its not as bad as the TRS II bridge of a Korean Ibanez Rg320 that i had, but anyway i dont like it.
The RGX is fatter than the JS type guitars so i think the OFR sustain block will fit too, if not i will change it for the Lo TRS as you did. (id prefer the original that is longer, better torque).
I live in Colombia so before i order an OFR i always wanted to see if it really fits or not and you did the work, thanks again.
by the way, did you changed the posts or you are using the ones that had your guitar?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern
Finally someone did a good job taking pictures of a direct swap with an OFR, thank you a lot!
i have a yamaha RGX421D, its shape is like an ibanez Rg, and it have a japanese Lo TRS pro bridge, its not as bad as the TRS II bridge of a Korean Ibanez Rg320 that i had, but anyway i dont like it.
The RGX is fatter than the JS type guitars so i think the OFR sustain block will fit too, if not i will change it for the Lo TRS as you did. (id prefer the original that is longer, better torque).
I live in Colombia so before i order an OFR i always wanted to see if it really fits or not and you did the work, thanks again.
by the way, did you changed the posts or you are using the ones that had your guitar?
Thanx for the compliments!
Yes, I did swap out the old posts with the ones that came with the OFR. There was another thread of someone changing their trem with pics that I used as a guide. What I did was put a cloth on the guitar, then placed a wooden block near the posts, and used the nail remover end of a hammer against the wooden block to pull out the posts. Then I hammered the new ones in by placing the handle end of a screwdriver on the posts and hitting the hammer against that.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 08:27 PM

does the trem bar stay tight on the ofr? i have a trs that i want to get rid of and the bar loosens all the time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOD
does the trem bar stay tight on the ofr? i have a trs that i want to get rid of and the bar loosens all the time.
Yup, I can hold the guitar by the bar!
I couldn't use the bar on my trs cuz it would pop out all the time.

Tags
cosmo hardware , floyd rose , gotoh floyd rose , locking trems , pickup ring , trem block , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode