Finally, a USRG30 comes home...and it's GREEN! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Finally, a USRG30 comes home...and it's GREEN!

Hey Guys-
I've wanted to try one of these puppies for some time, and finally jumped on this one. Green was not my first choice (me like amber), but it is less common than some of the other colors, and has a pretty quilt!

http://photos.yahoo.com/gkelm (I give up on trying to load an inline pic!)

It's in great shape...about 8.5-9/10...just some pimpling on the trem base and some shallow clearcoat scratches on the back, otherwise fairly clean.

I've only had a few minutes of playing, but I've been impressed so far. The neck feels great--rock solid and stiff, never felt anything quite like it. Acoustically it has a nice resonance, and plugged in it's bright, chunky, and expressive. I've never heard a PAF Pro sound this warm and round in the neck.

Still need to do a "Rich" cleaning, setup, and string change, but...but that will have to wait until I return from a trip (JAPAN!). So far I'm pleased. Soon I may need some help with the adjustments, etc. on this tension-free neck.

This green might have made a nice stripe in Brent's "rainbow" collection.
Greg

PS: One minor complain...why not abalone dots instead of plastic?!? Where's Jeremey?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:06 PM
Vendor

I thought you were selling?! There went your bank, I guess you won't be buying any in Japan?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I know, I know (shaking head). Sometimes you can't resist. Not sure what I'm going to do when my eyes and mitts fix on that perfect VV flame hanging on the wall!! I'll probably be kicking myself. Ah, there is plastic!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Vendor

All those tension free's are plastic, so are most Jem and UV's, so are old JS's, your point? Oh, they're really plain looking white plastic, yea, strange huh, at least the JS's had pearl looking plastic.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

I guess I'm spoiled by RG/RGT3120 and TX Prestige abalone.

...and my S guitars
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:54 PM

lol... I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't suprise me if the rg/rgt line had some fake abalone. I'm thinking of having mine redone with shark fins or something that'll include the dot area so it doesn't have to be covered.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 09:13 AM

Nice
Out,
GP
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 09:19 AM

oooooh green meanie

Nice guitar!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 03:33 PM

Hey Greg, Happy to see that you finally got one. Now that you have one I would like it if you would tell me if you find anything to be different then I told you it would be(tonewise and what not). I just would really like to hear your opions. Also has the bridge pickup been changed on your guitar? I ask because on most usrgs the base plate for the pickups are black Like the one on the PAF PRO your have in the neck. If it has been changed do you know what it is.

Gary
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Hey Gary- So far I think you're descriptions are spot-on. I see what you mean about the clean tones...a little stiff sounding, but still nice...maybe that's the price you pay for that clear articulation with distortion.

Good observation in the bridge pup...it is indeed not painted black, and the pole pieces are hex. Looks like another PAF Pro or ?? Whatever it is it sounds pretty good.

Ha, just realized this guitar arrived on my birthday.

I'm headed out of town tomorrow morning for 10 days--when I return I'll get it cleaned up and adjusted, and get more familiar with it. I'll also pull the pup to see what's there (I have a TZ laying around for replacement). Is there a thread already explaning how the neck adjustments work?
Greg
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:44 AM

Actually there is a section in the tech setup pages.
http://jemsite.com/tech/t_3other.htm#usrgtensionfree
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Gary...I knew it was in there somewhere.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Gary- Finally got around to cleaning up this beast. The mystery pickup is a DP 161...Steve's Special. I like the sound of it in this guitar...in fact, I'm really liking this guitar. May pop a TZ in there next string change for comparison.
Greg
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 04:53 AM

Greg, I've never heard a usrg with anything other than the tone zone. I would be really interested to hear one with other pickups. I like both the steves special and the tone zone but they could not be much more different. And I love my usrgs. I always find myself almost buying a thrid one and than I some how stop myself. Maybe if I find a trans black I'll give in. Anyway if you pop in that tone zone let me know what you think.

Gary
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Will do, Gary. Just by the specs I would think I'd like to TZ better (Alnico with fatter mids/bass), but this pup has a nice chunk with clarity--no mud at all. I suspect part of that is the guitar as well. I'll let you know when I swap. Greg

Tags
abalone dots , base plate , bridge pickup , bridge pup , clean tone , paf pro , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode