Fireman250MF review - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Fireman250MF review

I had this instrument for a good week now and I have played the **** out of it so its review update time.

The guitar still FEELS GREAT!
It is actually making me re think my elitist love for the 90's wizard and super wizard necks.
The Build quality and action are great really. It could do with the fret ends balling, especially because i play like hendrix,
fully gripping the neck, thumb over the top. I can do that easily enough though.
The set up was nice tho, I lowered the action to my tastes and It still could go lower for those that like that sort of thing.
I was Impressed with how straight the neck/truss was set, the tiniest ammount of relief.
The natural/unplugged voice is rather throaty/hollow woody and kind of like my maple board jem with more warmth.
Tuning Stability wise is taking some getting used to, I have been spoiled by my Floyd rose Edge and LoPro locking Trems.
I bend strings a lot and I keep having to tweak too often for my liking. It's the same when I try Les Pauls so maybe thats a regular tuning set up for you.
The pick ups are still the issue. there are times I love them and times not. In comparison to my Bare knuckles in my Floyd rose guitars they seem weak.
The difference in tone through the 5 positions is also subtle......too subtle for me.
They split nicely but obviously going single coil makes them even weaker but they have a lovely twang for bluesy stuff.
I have decided to Wind the Area 67 in middle position all the way in so I get more of just the split bucker,
I almost feel the the middle single coil is redundant because of the wiring.

No tone in in 1 and 2!!!? to stop mud maybe?? bugs me really :£
The middle position give the combined powers of both the the humbuckers and it gives a quite powerful punch to the sound
(some say les pauly so I may go in my local dealer and compare) Would I prefer this position to give me just the single coil? not with the area 67 I wouldn't.
On a positive they are very sweet sounding and because of the A5 magnets have a nice cluck on the pick attack in the neck positions
and the natural throaty timbre of the guitar is enhanced more.

Here's the official page for the guitar so you can eyeball the spec IBANEZ FIREMAN

All in all The pick ups in time will have to move on and the wiring will be modded to my tastes but Ibanez China have made a good guitar.
In fact I think my review seems to talk a lot about what I didn't like so let me be clear I REALLY LIKE THIS GUITAR A LOT!!!
The finish is lovely, Its not heavy and really does balance well with a strap on (chuckle)
The bridge is tight and easy and comfortable to adjust and play.
Came with a set of D'addario 9's which are not my string of choice.
With Bare knuckles installed will it be great?

I will let you know

Tommie

Last edited by m t soule; 10-02-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 04:43 PM

Re: Fireman250MF review

If I bought one, I would put a Super D in the bridge, a Fred in the neck and leave the single since I never use those. But yeah, just dreaming... I still look at the pic I took of the one at the local GC and my mouth waters. I have one I pieced together from a Nate Pearle body , but i would really like the genuine article.

tell us how you like it when you get the BK's put in. !! you are a lucky guy!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 01:22 AM

Regarding the pickups:
These are more vintage voiced pickups that react really nice to picking dynamics and clean up nicely with the volume knob rolled back. If you are used to higher output humbuckers they might seem weak with your current rig settings. Try readjusting your rig a bit and I am sure you'll like them.
What kind of rig are you running them through? And what BKP are you using?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Yeah man, I know they are a lower output. And I know how to compensate with it.
They remind me of slashes alnico 2 pros.

My amp;
Blackstar ht studio 20 (high gain)

Bkp;
vhii neck, si mid, holy diver bridge, in RG550CA
Crawler neck, Irish tour mid, nail bomb bridge, in RG550MXX

All high output except the Irish tour which is mid (ish) output

Cheers guys!

Last edited by m t soule; 10-02-2014 at 09:12 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Early sunday morning I was inspired to do a quick demo for you. nothng special just some improvisational razamataz to indulge myself in whilst lounging around in my tartan pyjamas.

I got the backing track from the october jemsite challenge thread.

It's recorded using two mobile phones. one to play the backing (an old iphone) and the other to record with.

I am MUCH happier with the sound now that i went up a string guage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfHEbcASb_c

Last edited by m t soule; 10-05-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Tags
air classic , dimarzio , frm250mf , paul gilbert , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode