First acoustic: Ovation? Something else? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

First acoustic: Ovation? Something else?

I've been playing Ibanez electrics for 5 years now, but I'm looking to get my first acoustic guitar. I've always loved the Ovation sound (and look!), but I played one a few months ago and found the neck very...strange. Especially coming from my 7 string Ibanez, the neck felt tiny (thin). I like having a fat, full neck, and the Ovation just seemed to be lacking that. Also, the neck seemed very plasticy, like an SG neck (something I really hate). I like the natural feel of my RG1527 much better. Was it just the one I played, or are all Ovations like that? If so, what other brands should I consider that have a fatter, more natural neck?

My price range is around $500-$600, so I guess I'd be looking at an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe.

Last edited by lonewolf121188; 05-25-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 AM

Re: First acoustic: Ovation? Something else?

in that price range I like Seagulls, or maybe you can find a used Martin 15 series.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 12:47 AM

I'm not a fan of Ovation acoustics. They sound only about halfway decent plugged in, and that's a stretch. Unplugged, they sound like absolute garbage.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could probably get a used Martin, as Elcid mentioned, or I personally like Takamines.

What I did when I needed a new acoustic was, go to your local guitar shop when you've got at least two hours and play EVERY single acoustic that's within your price range, checking for tone and the feel of the neck, and if the guitar seems to "click" with you. Chances are you'll find something you like.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 AM

BlindingLlights has some great advice.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Reviews: 3

I had an Ovation Celebrity for years worked fine. Electrically they are decent. Unplugged, eh not so much.

I bought an AN-10 Takamine for $600 that blew the Ovation away.

IMHO Tak's are the best buy for the money. Great, great guitars.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 AM

had an ovation elite: great sound but not the classical acoustic sound, they are in my mind quite an half way between nilon guitars and acoustic.
Definitely a one of a kind acoustic
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:40 AM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBlindingLights View Post
I'm not a fan of Ovation acoustics. They sound only about halfway decent plugged in, and that's a stretch. Unplugged, they sound like absolute garbage.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could probably get a used Martin, as Elcid mentioned, or I personally like Takamines.

What I did when I needed a new acoustic was, go to your local guitar shop when you've got at least two hours and play EVERY single acoustic that's within your price range, checking for tone and the feel of the neck, and if the guitar seems to "click" with you. Chances are you'll find something you like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finstah View Post
I had an Ovation Celebrity for years worked fine. Electrically they are decent. Unplugged, eh not so much.

I bought an AN-10 Takamine for $600 that blew the Ovation away.

IMHO Tak's are the best buy for the money. Great, great guitars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf121188 View Post
I've been playing Ibanez electrics for 5 years now, but I'm looking to get my first acoustic guitar. I've always loved the Ovation sound (and look!), but I played one a few months ago and found the neck very...strange. Especially coming from my 7 string Ibanez, the neck felt tiny (thin). I like having a fat, full neck, and the Ovation just seemed to be lacking that. Also, the neck seemed very plasticy, like an SG neck (something I really hate). I like the natural feel of my RG1527 much better. Was it just the one I played, or are all Ovations like that? If so, what other brands should I consider that have a fatter, more natural neck?

My price range is around $500-$600, so I guess I'd be looking at an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe.
Consider the kind of Ovation in question. I've had an Elite for over 15 years and it sounds great. I didn't buy the guitar to be plugged in but the pickup is a nice plus. IMO, if you've got 5-600 bucks, there are other alternatives out there to be considered. Ovations aren't the best in their entry level models.

Jimmy
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 AM

I could never get used to the rounded back on ovations. They always want to slide away from me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 AM

My first acoustic was a Takamine, which was well worth the money. I haven't been shopping for acoustics for a long time, but Ibanez probably also has some decent ones in your price range.

The very best acoustics that I've ever played were a Yamaha and a Taylor. The Taylor in particular. However, you will pay a lot for these guitars.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

I went to a local guitar store yesterday and played some Ovations (Celebrity models), some Seagulls, Art & Lutheries, and Takamines. I REALLY liked the Seagulls. The neck just seemed...right. It fit so well. And played damn well for $400. I think I might go with that...

I also got to play a few 12 strings and rather liked those. Now I can't decide if I want a 12 or a 6. I mostly play songs that are written on 6 strings, but the 12 just sounded so cool! The Seagull 12 string was $440, I think, which is well within my price range. It didn't have any electronics on it though...I definitely want something that I can plug in. Is it an option on all Seagulls? How much extra does it cost?

The other thing is that the Seagulls didn't have built-in tuners. The electronics seemed pretty basic, especially when compared to the (sorry) Ovations.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 PM

My Martin has a built in tuner and it's great, but I wouldnt let a built in tuner make or break which guitar I bought.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM

You're seriously going to put down not having a built-in tuner as counting against an acoustic? You should NOT base your decision off of this, in any way, shape, or form. Buy a chromatic tuner. Korg and Fender both make great tuners for pretty inexpensive prices.

You should buy the acoustic based on FEEL and TONE, not on whether or not it's got a built-in tuner.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBlindingLights View Post
You're seriously going to put down not having a built-in tuner as counting against an acoustic? You should NOT base your decision off of this, in any way, shape, or form. Buy a chromatic tuner. Korg and Fender both make great tuners for pretty inexpensive prices.

You should buy the acoustic based on FEEL and TONE, not on whether or not it's got a built-in tuner.
Of course. It was just a comment on the electronics, more than anything.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 03:51 PM

Take a look at the Carvin Cobalt series as well. They're great for the money. I had a 980TMW for a while and loved it before it was damaged beyond repair in an unfortunate drunken barbeque incident.

The 980T is $599, but they have other less-expensive options as well. While these Cobalts are "great," I'd conisder them "way above average" for their price range, considering how they sound and play.

Cheers,
Danny
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM

Reviews: 3

Just remember, if you get a 12 string... and a string breaks...

have fun. ha ha

Tags
acoustic guitar , guitar shop , local guitar shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode