First mod project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

First mod project

I started a small project. I always wanted to buy an old guitar and make it into something special. It had to be an Ibanez guitar. I always wanted to mod a guitar by myself but to find a suitable guitar was really hard. And of course it had to be as cheap as possible. Since I didn't had much money to spend I looked all over the internet to find second hand parts, I even did some parts myself. The only thing that I had was a drill, sandpaper and swiss pocket knife
The few things that I bought later was the paint and car polishing solutions. I olny knew was how the guitar should look like. It had to be blue, white pickguard, white pickups and chrome hardware. Later I decided what kind of pickups I wanted. Let me show you for now how much everything costed.
BTW I'm not exactly there yet but I'm close.
I bought the RG 450 for around 135€. It was basically a Samick RG450 from 94. The only thing that I've got was the neck, body, a broken LoTRS II and some really used up tuners. The neck was fine so I thought let's go with it.
I got some stuff from eBay like pickguard, volume, tune knobs and tuners.
I got a chrome Schaller floyd for 30€ from a local internet site. The thing was it wasn't functioning properly. I had to make some modifications. The saddles were loose. Someone screwed the saddles too hard and the screws had no grip anymore.
The second expensive thing were the pickups.
I bought a new gravity storm bridge pickup. That was the only new think that I've got. A second hand YJM for 25€. Still in need of a gravity storm neck pickup but... it's hard to find a second hand white pickup in Croatia it's almost impossible... Anyway, I spend all my money into this guitar so the pickup has to wait for better days :/
Guitar: 135
Schaller: 35
Pickups: 110 (for now)
Paint and sandpaper 20
Car polishing tings 25
Small parts and tuners 30
Total: 355€

I will update my progress

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 11:34 PM

Re: First mod project

looking good!
what are you doing on the board? did you sand it off?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was sanding of almost every thing. The previous ovner spray car lack over the finger board. It didn't felt right and it was dark yellow. I tyred to sand of fret by fret but then I removed all the frets and sanded of properly the whole board.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:06 AM

Sviđa mi se nova boja, ide dobro sa pearloid/white. Going to be very cool when it's finished!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 PM

Keep us posted. I've always wanted to do the same with a rg320 or a 420.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Alright here I am again
well I had some things to manage before I put all the parts together.
At first I had some complications with the neck. I wanted to lower neck so I had to drill/sand of the neck pocket.
Second I had problems with the fret buzz. But After getting the neck straight I had to sand of just a little to get the right action.
Did I mention that I was removing all the frets and sanded of the entire neck?
Well I was pissed to do fret by fret and not getting the right result. It just took to long. So I removed them and sanded of everything except the headstock.
Afterwards I applied two coats of Tru-oil on the neck and it feels perfect. Oh yeah it feels and looks great.
Btw still not happy with frets... They are to short on some places. The guitar is playable but... I'm not happy with it. Next step buy some new fretwire...
But for now it looks like this and it sounds nice.
Since I didn't had an other Gravity in the neck position I put an Paf Joe just to for fun. And I switched the YJM for a Heavy Blues 2... and yeah...
I discovered a new dream configuration. I think I skip the Gravity in the neck and buy a White Paf Joe instead.
Thanks goes to the guys from Dimarzio. They talked me out of it to put the YJM cause it's a low-output pickup. Well I tried it anyway... It just didn't feel right.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:57 AM

How's the drive from the Gravity Storm in the bridge? Do you like it? In the neck, what do you like better about the PAF Joe over the GS?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I think itīs hard to explain the sound of a pickup. There are so many parameters to consider. But let me try to explain the differences.
Gravity vs Paf Joe:
Gravity neck is not that different from a Evo neck. Itīs a pickup with attack power and fat sound. Itīs a Vai thing. It want forgive any mistake cause it gives you everything right into the face.
Paf Joe is more tender and sweet. Itīs a pickup that follows all the movement and gives you the tone acording to the moves you make. Itīs sweet, round, tubular like a mouth full of hot potato. But it can cry out all the notes if you play it like that. And if you split, it sounds like a Strat single.
Gravity bridge. Uh... tih is a though one. This pickup is fat. Riffs sound full and round whit a lot of Attack. Itīs not even close to a Evo bridge. If you play the strings low and do some chords... well the crunch will rock your world. Play higher from the 12th fret up it will be crystal clear. OK, it dose not sound nice on the clean canal but splitting will make it nice.

Tags
custom build guitar , modded ibanez , paint job , rg450dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode