First seven string guitar.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

View Poll Results: Which 7-string would you buy?
Music Man JPX 14 31.11%
Ibanez UV777 31 68.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

First seven string guitar..

I was thinkng of going for my first seven string, i was thinking between a Ibanez UV777 and a Music Man JPX 7-String

I like the Look, the piezo and the neck of the JPX, but i don't like very much the pups
Of the UV777 i love the Pups and the bridge, i don't like too much the look, the neck is awesome, but the body... very big and that mirror pickguard....

Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Re: First seven string guitar..

I'd get a used 7620 or 1527. I wouldn't go high end for my first 7; they're not for everybody.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM

If you're sure you want to go 7 string, and have the cash, then that petrucci model will be a much better overall axe.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Reviews: 11

i agree with jim777. go for the rg7620. better bridge than the rg1527 (i have one, the edge pro is awesome! but the lo-pro is better) and if you think its ugly you can do whatever you want with it and because its so damn cheap youll never feel guilty if you f**k it up!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions
I'm sure that i want a 7 string, and i tried a 7620; and i liked more the UV777 and the JPX
Would it sound good if i change the pickups to the JPX? I was thinking of some Actives or some DiMarzio Bleeds
And bout the UV777; it wasnt very comfortable to me, the neck is awesome but, i don't find a comfortable position for the right hand,..maybe i will be familiar with the shape if i play it a few days?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Reviews: 65

the UV is by far the best seven I have ever played and the blaze pups are just perfect.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Reviews: 13

IMHO the UV is better than the JP.
Petrucci himself used an UV before sign with Music Man.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 PM

I have a 7-String and I never use it. Still trying to figure how to use 6-strings?
I voted UV777
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:58 PM

As far as I'm concerned you like the things that matter most (to me) on the UV. So get the UV. The JP-X must be about twice the price of the Ibby.

Other than that, I'm with Jim too.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 PM

JPX...
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I'd get a used 7620 or 1527. I wouldn't go high end for my first 7; they're not for everybody.
This.

I wouldn't say the JP is better or worse than the UV - they're both awesome instruments, just in different ways.

They also both cost a LOT more than a used 1527 does, and while my main player is a UV, I was pretty impressed by a 1527 I owned for a while - had I gotten around to replacing the DActivators that were in it, it might have became my main player.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
I love my UV and my RG7 but, after getting my BFR 7, honestly, they aren't even in the same league as far as playability and fit and finish is concerned. And this is coming from what used to be a die hard Ibby man.

I wouldn't personally go with the JPX only because of the blade switch. But that's just me. But whatever floats your boat.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 AM

I recently made the switch to a 7 string myself and I absolutely love it!! I went on to **** and picked up a Schecter Damien Elite 7 and it is an awesome guitar. If you are interested in 7's I don't think you'll have a problem switching over. I got my 7 string an hour before band practice and in the hour I was able to get used to it enough to play it at practice. the biggest problem I had was chord progressions so I practiced them and now I am comfortable. If you play in a cover band like I do and play multiple tunings 7's are the way to go. With A E A D G B E tuning and a capo I can play AC/DC and Killswitch Engage without tuning. LOVE IT!!!!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 PM
VCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
+1

Picked up a 7 in a swap, it's looking for a new home now. Just not for me at all. I mean I get it and all but after decades on a 6, I just don't feel at home with it. I'm glad I didn't drop some big bucks on it!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
Eh, he didn't have a signature 7 at the time to use.

I bought two 7s randomly one day because I came across them in a guitar shop and got a ridiculous deal. An RG7620VK and a K7. The K7 has one of the nicest necks I've ever played on but I still can't get as comfortable playing a 7 as I am with a 6. They definitely aren't for everybody.

Tags
7-string , ibanez , jpx , music man , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

html tab symbol
swap html js
tab symbol html
E-CY-165CTM.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode