First time Out - nerves of steel - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

First time Out - nerves of steel

Hey I was just curious how it was for all of you the first time out. Im talking horror stories, or how great it was. Did you mess up? How does it all feel? things like that just to see what every one has gone through

buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 10:23 PM

First time Out

my first time was pretty quick, it was like 7 or 8 pumps, and i was done.

I'm gonna leave this one up as an example of how to end up wearing your ass as a hat. *Another post like this, and you're gone. *
Grow up. *
KJG

(Edited by Kevan at 12:26 am on Mar. 5, 2001)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 12:18 AM

First time Out

um, *"you're"

I was too upset to catch that typo.

(Edited by Kevan at 12:27 am on Mar. 5, 2001)

i was just nitpicking/kidding anyway. * * i see my status as grammer deity has been revoked. * ah well!

(Edited by ShredHead42 at 6:39 pm on Mar. 5, 2001)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 03:15 AM

First time Out

i enjoyed the comic relief unearth7. *
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:00 AM

First time Out

thank you shawn, but since ive been threatened with bodily harm by the jemsite police, i have decided to take posting on this board more seriously. i would not want to end up wearing my buttocks for a hat. not only would that be very un hip, but it would also call for some type of surgical procedure. so anyways, my first time playing out was in an obnoxious death/noise metal called FLESH FLOOD. we were horrendous. we played at a local high school talent show. we got shutdown 1/2 way through the 1st song. it was kinda like that scene in back 2 the future where marty's band the PINHEADS was told to stop playing cuz they were too loud. * * * *good times!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

First time Out

Ok so maybe I could have worded the question a little better, but you know what I mean.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 02:08 PM

Reviews: 3
First time Out

I think my first band was called "Militia." *We ruled... not. *First show was a high school talent night... played a bunch of Metallica and Black Sabbath songs. *We weren't that good, but everyone liked us. *I was playing bass back then... real challanging stuff... open E string all night. *I guess there isn't much to say about it. *We all got egos and broke up afterwards because we all thought we were good. *I quickly lost any trace of those feelings.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:18 PM

First time Out

i have yet to play live where i'm playing what i realy want to play... *i've played numerous times with my high school jazz combo, and every time i was all but shaking uncontrolably because i was too scared of screwing up... *i (hope) think if i enjoy the music that i'm playing more, i'll feel better about it, therefore giving a better performance... *
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 07:43 AM

First time Out

I always feel nervous before any gig, but it was no better or worse the first time, which was a crappy college gig with loads of other bands. We played some Ozzy and Zeppelin songs. We were, like, so great that everybody got up and left early because they were embarrassed by our shredgodliness. :sarcasm:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:01 AM

First time Out

i played Battle of the Bands my junior year in high school. * we did slayer and metallica covers, and some other basic thrash stuff like that. * ha, we got tied for 3rd place "Most Original" which we found amusing b/c we played all covers. *It actually went really well; i pulled off my solos near perfectly. * *

of course, i had played for 4 or 5 years before i ever gigged, so i was pretty good. * lotsa people said they didn't care for the songs (esp the singer - oh lord he was awful) but that they were impressed by the guitar.

and isn't impressing what playing live is all about?!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 04:21 AM

First time Out

hows this for a first time out... I always used to get nervous before shows but it wears off after awhile, until you stop playing live for a while then it comes back..at least for me..

So here it is. i've been playing for 10-12-15 years i dont keep track anymore and having been in a few bands in that time, i never played out until 4-5 years ago. we spent 6-8months on some really complex original material and i was psycin myself up to do this live thing in downtown houston.. a big event at the plaza. so i'm loading my gear on stage cabinets guitars effects trying to stay focused. i get all set up and go back to the truck to put my phone in it and i realize i have locked my keys in the truck!!! AARGGHHHH I was sooo stressed out after that. i mean, we were due on stage in like 5 minutes. so here i am in this terrible situation and there is nothing i can do about at all. I knew i wasnt gonna make it through the show in one piece and along comes this homeless dude, a skinny guy, who thinks he can sqeeze his arm through the ext cab window as i pry it out and use a hanger to unlock the door... sure enough he did it.. of course i showed my appreciation and i was stiill a bit shooken up, i was able to put to rest that stress. I still believe that he was divinely sent to help me and ease my mind.. theres more details on that but i wont go into them now.
So i got up on stage and played the show. For my first time out it wasnt too bad. kept thinking everyone knew when i messed up and i kept tripping over my pedals and cables!! needless to say i hate pedals and no longer use them.

all together the crowd loved it and it was a great break in for me. i actually have it on video to look back on!!!

and that my story...

scott
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

First time Out

Wow no pedals...

Ok so I asked this question because I had never really played out except for like partys where everyone is just screwin around. I've played my first show since then, and totally forgot to post how it went.
Since we are a new band (weve been together for 2 1/2 months) We were given an oportunity to play this punk rock fest. Ok Im not a fan of punk rock and never will be, but it was the perfect oportunity to play out. Besides it was only 3 of our own songs. Anyhow we have like 4 days to the show, and our drummer who set up the gig, didnt show for practices. At the last minute (were talking friday when the show is on Saturday) we go get this other drummer to fill his shoes. So were getting ready to go up on stage with a drummer that has only heard our stuff like 3 times all the way through. Now that was nerve racking.
The show actually went off well. I was nervous as all heck, and my hands felt freezing cold. The only mistake was that the drummer for got to bring on the big ending of our last song so it did end on kind of a down note, but man was that fun. Im hooked.
It was so funny to get there and tell our original drummer that weve got a replacement. The guy really ticked me off so i didnt feel that bad

thanks guys
buzz
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 02:38 PM

First time Out

My first gig was at this hole in the wall club in Dallas called the Galaxy club they let small bands play at 8:00 and then kicked every one out cause big bands would play at 9:30 My band was called Singe well during warm up back stage my boss metal zone pedal died so I freaked ( back then my rig was a crate 4x12 a ampeg ss150 solid state head a boss mt2 pedal and my jem7pbk) so I ran and got a ride form this guys mom to mars but they were closed and I did not have enough money so I went to a pawn shop with my jackson dr3 that was my backup guitar and had my friends mom pawn it for my and we went and bought a new boss metal zone by the time I got back it was 8:10 so we ran on stage and the place was packed but not by people to see us the next act was white zombie and the club was filled with scary adults so we rocked the house and sold all of are t shirts and cd's and some guy who own another club the sand box was there and he gave us are 2nd gig. and now I always have a back up to every pedal I use.and by the way I never got that jackson out of pawn cause the gave me $50 more for it then I paid. of cours the fact that we did not get paid for the gig sucked too
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 11:04 AM

First time Out

My first time was on the auditorium stage in High School, in front of every student in the school. It was a talent contest and our band had been selected to participate. I was shaking so bad I could barely hold a pick.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 06:54 PM
Dar

First time Out

Every time I play out, it feels like I'm playing with boxing gloves on, at least for the first couple songs. *After that I start mellowing out, and by the third set I'm pretty loose and cool. *

First time (some 20 years ago) I threw up right before getting to the stage.

Hey, man, we all go through it.

Tags
boss metal zone , solid state head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode