Fixed Bridge (Kahler 3300) on an RG ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
blf

Fixed Bridge (Kahler 3300) on an RG ?

this has been a great site already & thanks for info/input in advance.

Have a late 80's japanese RG550 lefty, that Im thinking of having perm blocked off - I have the temp wood shim deal going now, but want to properly fill cavity/refinish then put a hipshot or preferably, a Kahler 3300 fixed bridge.

Im going to have my local luth do the work, but wondering if any one has done this or has it done? Any issues or things I should instruct him on? He is also a Buzz Feiten retrofitter, going to have that installed after the fixed bridge mod (same time)

Any input on the process or recommended fixed bridges other that Kahler?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 PM

Re: Fixed Bridge (Kahler 3300) on an RG ?

Just block it with something and forget about it. Save the money and spend it on something else.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
blf

i already had it blocked off by Ithaca Guitar Works years ago ---- kind of a sentimental guitar so I wanted to do it right. I know im going to need new frets & two inch long cracks on the back of the neck near the nut bolts repaired.

Just seems like a pain trying to find another late 80's lefty RG of this quality & I have Duncans in it already...blah blah blah

So I should forget about buzz system on it, forget the fixed bridge and just do a fret job, fix cracks and keep it blocked the way it is?

Thanks for the advice - dont want to blow unneccassary money, but I love this axe
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:35 AM

To properly convert that guitar to a hardtail will mean refinishing it. Makes for an expensive bit of work. What are you going to do about the locking nut? You don't need it anymore if you're going to ditch the Floyd. You could ditch the nut, too, and go with an Earvana. Personally, I think those are a better approach than the Buzz Feiten system.

Personally, I would fix what's broken and leave everything else the way it is.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 AM

I'd get the cracks repaired and if your not having any tuning difficulty at the moment i'd leave it as is. You could always pick up a fixed bridge ibanez if your wanting to playing with tunings etc?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 10:50 AM

Here's the link to the Project Guitar tutorial that is generally regarded as the best reference for doing a trem to hardtail conversion:

http://projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellow View Post
I'd get the cracks repaired and if your not having any tuning difficulty at the moment i'd leave it as is. You could always pick up a fixed bridge ibanez if your wanting to playing with tunings etc?
Nah, man...I'd say let him do it....he's prepared to go the whole hog on a guitar he likes. A nice fixed bridge and a new finish is like having a new guitar with a familiar feel. But why a Kahler?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:34 AM

Hey man I blocked my RG 560 and it's not permantent but trust me there isn't any need to go further, plus you still got a good bridge if you ever want to try using the trem or if you ever want to sale it.

I mess with tunings and all and it's still able to do whatever I need it to.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
blf

Its a tough decision since I love the axe so much---- may have to tell the guy to hold off on it. I am (all the sudden" looking at a 1990 Japanese lefty Sabre for probably less, than the price to bing this old RG 550 back from the dead

Keep the opinions coming. I figure with a need fret job and tranformation to hardtail/fixed bridg + $6-700? maybe more

Oh -- Kahler because I always thought they were so well made --wanted the best quality fixed I could find for my baby!

Google the Kahler 3300 -- looks like jewelry to me
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 PM
MFB

That much for just a fret job and conversion? I know JKahrs was gonna do a guitar of mine for $425, and thats with a full repaint and everything, so talk to him about doing it

He may even be able to do the fret job and repaint as combo for like $600
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 PM

I know what it's like having a guitar that you really like, but it not being quite what you need. I was actually in that exact situation once. I hated the Floyd in my RG520. Tried blocking it, still wasn't happy. I ended up making a completely new body for it. You might think about contacting one of the guys that does replacement Ibanez bodies, as the price for filling in the trem cavity and refinishing the body may be starting to approach to cost of a totally new body. Also, the refinish job is a bit of a tricky one, as it's difficult to ensure there is no visible line around the fill.

Anyway, I'm going to revise my earlier statement and say "go for it," provided you realize that you're going to be spending a decent chunk of change of a guitar that's not really worth a whole lot. The Kahler seems like a nice bridge, and the description on their website makes it seem like it would work. There are far cheaper bridges that will work just as well, however.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 PM

What color is this guitar? If its anything but black don't do it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 PM

I'd just block it. The blocked Edge is actually rather nice and lends itself to chunky palm muting.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I'd just block it. The blocked Edge is actually rather nice and lends itself to chunky palm muting.
My blocked edge is just as good as any hardtail. You just have to block it right.

Tags
rg 550 ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode