Fixed Gibraltar bridge Ibanez guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Fixed Gibraltar bridge Ibanez guitars

I am tossing around ideas for a project guitar and I want it to be a fixed bridge guitar, and specifically I want it to have a Gibraltar standard bridge because I really like that bridge compared to the previous fixed bridge Ibanez used.

Is there a list somewhere of guitars that use this bridge?

I think they started using it in 2011 right?

I'm thinking about using an RG321 with the Gibraltar bridge as the base for my project, but I'm curious to see if there are any other options out there that might be affordable on the used market.

Question: I really don't want to do this, but is the Gibraltar bridge swappable onto an Ibanez RG with their previous style fixed bridge? This is in the event I find an awesome guitar that works perfectly but has the older style fixed bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 PM

Re: Fixed Gibraltar bridge Ibanez guitars

I'm no expert on swapping bridges, but I owned two guitars with the Gibraltar. It's been around since at least the middle of the last decade. Really stable.

Peace

Mike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

The reason I thought it was 2011 is because the RG321s from 2010 and before have the old style bridge.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Reviews: 2

Have you seen the Gibraltar plus, Iron?? It's by far more ergonomic than the G-standard and has more mass. More mass means more sustain and better resonance between the body, neck, strings and bridge.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Have you seen the Gibraltar plus, Iron?? It's by far more ergonomic than the G-standard and has more mass. More mass means more sustain and better resonance between the body, neck, strings and bridge.

I thought that was only available on guitars that used thicker gauge strings/drop tune/longer neck scales?

Are the saddles on that individually height adjustable? That's something I like about the Gibraltar standard bridge.

That one does look nice, though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
I thought that was only available on guitars that used thicker gauge strings/drop tune/longer neck scales?

Are the saddles on that individually height adjustable? That's something I like about the Gibraltar standard bridge.

That one does look nice, though.
No, the G-plus and the G-custom are both made with a radius that matches the fretboard........just like the Edge, Lo-Pro (etc.) trems, individual string adjustment isn't necessary. The G-standard is NOT radiused (it's flat) so string height needs to be adjustable. There is an advantage to the g-plus in that the entire saddle is in contact with the baseplate as opposed to two tiny little screw points (ala...strat saddles)

The G-plus came stock on the RGA prestiges.....They work with every thing from .008's to .012's for sure......I'm not sure if anything larger will work for the E-string (low).

I should add that the G-plus requires some minor routing for the sustain block and recess..........the sustain block is very similar to the spring block on our trems. (It's also why the G-plus and custom carry more mass)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

What exactly is the difference between an RGA and an RG? Ibanez's says the the RGA "was introduced to satsisfy the demand from players who wanted an RG with a fixed bridge" but, uh... they make RGAs with floating trems, and they make regular RGs with fixed bridges. I know it an arched top, too. Is that the other difference?

And all the RGAs I looked at on Ibanez's website had Gibraltar standards or floating trems, anyway.

I'll probably stick with the Gibraltar standard because whatever guitar I get probably won't have a neck that is radiused to match the Gibraltar Plus, anyway.

So, is there a list anywhere of Ibanez guitars that come with the Gibraltar standard? Right now I'm looking at an RG321 as the base for my project, but only a 2011 or later model with the Gibraltar bridge, and most likely a 2011 model in black, since the 2012 models are only available in wood or cherry sunburst.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:09 PM

I love all of my classic, Prestige, and Premium Ibby's but that Gibralter Plus on my Prestige RGA121, has been a real problem. I normally use a 42 Low E and even that won't intonate, there isn't enough range. It's screwed out all the way at full length, and is just shy of matching. My tech thinks it was installed a bit too short, but I won't agree to have him dowell the stud holes and re-install. He showed me how it would still fit in the recess, but I'm just not ready for that.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman_93 View Post
I love all of my classic, Prestige, and Premium Ibby's but that Gibralter Plus on my Prestige RGA121, has been a real problem. I normally use a 42 Low E and even that won't intonate, there isn't enough range. It's screwed out all the way at full length, and is just shy of matching. My tech thinks it was installed a bit too short, but I won't agree to have him dowell the stud holes and re-install. He showed me how it would still fit in the recess, but I'm just not ready for that.
I have gibraltar standard on my rg331 and there's lot of space for adjusting intonation, I have a 056 on 6th string and it's not all the way back, just halfway!
I suspect that maybe my bridge is too far away, the opposite of yours, and if I'd tune to standard with 09's it won't intonate well!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
What exactly is the difference between an RGA and an RG?
RG's have a flat top.

RGA's have an arch-top
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:29 AM

Reviews: 4

So is the radius on the Korean JS700 radiused to match the fretboard too?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode