Floating Bridges. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

Floating Bridges.

Hey, what do you guys that have whammy bar guitars do when your learning songs and you find some that are in different tunings? Do you guys set up your guitar to that tuning? or do you play the song in your current tuning? or for example, if you the song your learning is in E flat, and you are in standard E, do you just play the song one fret lower on your guitar? Just seeing what the generally consensus is, and if you guys love your floyd, despite the extra setting up you have to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 PM

Re: Floating Bridges.

If possible have more than one guitar otherwise I suppose a pitch shifter might work. Havn't tried it but could work.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 PM

Reviews: 1

Yes one guitar for each tuning, standard E to all the way down to E
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 PM

You could buy a Tremol-No, downtune in Hardtail Mode, and tune back up before you out it back in Full-Floating Mode.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

I was wondering what you guys do, not advice for me I always just transcribe the song to fit my current tuning. I was just wondering if you guys actually re-set your guitar up or if you have another axe or if you just play it in standard.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 PM

I mostly just jam along with the weather channel in standard tunning.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
I mostly just jam along with the weather channel in standard tunning.
I agree they have some nice music on there.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:03 AM

Reviews: 6

If a song has a differnent tuning i usually avoid it i couldn't be bothered to go through of all the fuss to change tunings. Anyway 95% of the music i listen to, is in Standard tuning
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:49 AM

i use my jem for e tuning and my fender with midi pickup and roland vg-88 to do any other tunings
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:12 AM

Tremol-no is a must!!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:42 AM

I have 3 floaters and 3 fixed bridge guitars.

I like the floaters to be tuned E to E, which is my preffered tuning, but the fixed bridges are so easy to detune, I change their tunings as needed.

Rock on!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Another vote for having more than one guitar. At least one with a fixed bridge of some sort to cope with "odd" tunings.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 PM

I'm with Jono on this one. It's nice to have at least one fixed bridge for those occasions when you need to change tunings quickly.

If the song I'm learning is only tuned a half step or so in either direction (from standard), I sometimes find it easier/faster to just transpose it up or down. Then again, if the song has a lot of open notes/chords that can be a pain in the neck too.

Tremol-No solves all of those headaches and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a second guitar.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:19 PM

my rg is tuned to E and my sg to Eb so I can play guns n´ roses lol, I only use the sg for guns songs lol and some metallica, judas priest songs
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

Ha. Interesting. Thanks for the replies. Iunno, maybe I'm just totally wierd, but I never liked having two guitars. I always just have one solid GREAT guitar. I always felt like having one more guitar would take away attention from my #1 axe. I think I'm just weird though

Tags
fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , floating bridges , guage strings , locking nut , locking tuners , parker fly , pitch shifter , string tension , trem guitar , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode