Originally Posted by elcid
Come on man, dont just post a pic without details of how you did it.
It isn't really that complicated, I pretty much followed the instructions at projectguitar.com. First, I used plenty of sandpaper to strip the body (and headstock) down to bare wood. I traced out and cut the pieces of fabric for the front, back and headstock somewhat oversized and used an even layer of Titebond II to secure each piece one by one in its proper place.
After the glue set, I slapped on a nice heavy coat of some sandable wood sealer, waited for that to dry, then trimmed the exces fabric from around the edges. From that, I used some fairly coarse sandpaper to smooth out the sealer somewhat. After that, it was time for the red burst around the edge. For this, I set a piece of construction paper cut in the shape of the body and supported by pushpins on top of the body and simply sprayed down at it around the edge. The construction paper provided the perfect mask for the slight burst you see in the picture.
After all that, it was really just a matter of dumping clear coat on the whole thing. A LOT of clear coat. Some finish sanding, polish, and it's done. It isn't perfect, but I like it quite a bit and I'm sure I can do better next time.
The rest of the guitar shaped up over time. I originally had a Mighty Mite licensed floyd on it, no idea what I was thinking about there. That was replaced in short order by the chrome Edge you see now. The stock V7/V8 pickups lasted a little while until I had a chance to pick up the Duncan JB/Jazz set that's in it now. Finally, the tone knob was jettisoned in favor of the mini-toggle switch that changes the neck pickup to parallel operation (which is nearly useless with the Jazz).
That's about it. It's somewhat time-consuming, but it isn't all that hard. What I'd really like is to be able to do finishes like these for other people one day since I don't terribly need many more guitars at this point and don't want ALL of them to be fabric jobs, of course.