floyd rose bridge question (simple) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

floyd rose bridge question (simple)

i just got my rg2550z today and it's great. my first double locking guitar. i just broke my D string. at the bridge where it's locked in, the end of it is kinda squashed and i'm guessing it was either locked in too tight or i've been pulling up on it too much?

how much can you pull up a trem before a string snaps generally? whats the deal with that sort of thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:38 AM

Reviews: 7
Re: floyd rose bridge question (simple)

You should be able to do full pull-ups. It was probably just the string, and they shouldn't be squashed.

The thickers strings should just start to get two flat surfaces from the locking, but definately not squashed. You'll end up breaking a lot of strings that way and more importantly you could strip something on the bridge, whether it be the saddle or the actual screw, I don't know. I'm sure you, just like me don't want to find out
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:11 PM

well when you lock a string in, you are "squishing" it against the saddle, with the string block. anytime you lock a wound string in a double locking tremolo it gets squished. im sure you just broke a string I wouldn't worry about it. Don't pull-up as far as you can, you're just asking to break a string then. You can fake how high you pull-up by starting with the bridge dived a little and then pull up past that, or you can just start on a higher note with a dive too.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 AM
GAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
i just got my rg2550z today and it's great. my first double locking guitar. i just broke my D string. at the bridge where it's locked in, the end of it is kinda squashed and i'm guessing it was either locked in too tight or i've been pulling up on it too much?

how much can you pull up a trem before a string snaps generally? whats the deal with that sort of thing?
If the squashed bit is still on the end of the string did it break or maybe it wasn't locked tight enough and just pulled through ? If so, undo the locking nut, unwind the string a bit, feed it back in the trem, lock and voila !! I have snapped the top E by tightening the locking bridge too tight, but you'd have to go some to do it to the D string.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:01 AM

It's probably just locked too tight (the string), I pull all the way up till my trem hits wood, never breaks. I have never broken a string pulling up, and pulling up on a trem is how I use a trem most of the time. I have Jems & RG's. Yeah the string gets a little squished (maybe) but not that much. Like I said my guess is the string was just clamped in to tightly. You should be able to pull as far as your trem will let you and no breaking. I do it all the time. Either just to tight or just one of those things. Strings break, it's part of life being a guitarist. Sometimes even the strings can be a bad batch (not usually). If you're having a lot of strings breaking constantly you may have a problem, but that could be a number of things , but no matter what you should be able to pull up on a trem all you want with no breakage or loss in tune as long as it's set up right. Don't let anyone tell you not to pull up so far, they do not know what they're talking about (all due respect).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies.

also, kinda unrelated but, at the trem arm snap in point, there's the torque adjustment screw.

i don't really understand what it does since the arm feels exactly the same weather it's completely screwed in or loose. but anyway, underneath that is a little plastic washer kind of thing. i'm not sure what it's purpose is because the trem functions exactly as it does usually with or without the plastic thing. it keep's falling out if i take the torque adjustment screw off and i was wondering if it's necessary? i'm guessing it serves some purpose...

Tags
rg2550z edge zero

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode