floyd rose on a ibanez rg550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

floyd rose on a ibanez rg550

Hello,

My ibanez rg550 came with a Edge Floyd Rose put it's difficult to keep it in tune when using the tremolo bar. I did the right setup and the bridge is in neutral position. Maybe the problem it's the springs, but the guitar has only 2 years, I think the springs life it's only in the begining.
So my question is: Can I gain more tuning stability with a Schaller Floyd Rose? It is retro-fit with rg550?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 09:45 AM

Re: floyd rose on a ibanez rg550

www.ibanezrules.com

Go to the tech section of Rich's site. It could be a variety of factors causing your problems. Most likely it is an issue with the knife edges or unlocked/wobbly posts.

Try fixing the Edge first. I have a Schaller system on my #1 gigging guitar. It's a good system but you can't beat the Edge. My advice would be to persevere and fix what you have before replacing it with an inferior system.

A well set up Edge is one of the best systems out there. Many on here will agree!!
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:19 AM

I Agree!!!!!
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:58 AM
VB.

Depends on what Edge youre talking about. The Edge Pro rules,
the other lower end Edge systems are a source of many woes
for many people.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB.
Depends on what Edge youre talking about. The Edge Pro rules,
the other lower end Edge systems are a source of many woes
for many people.
and which "lower-end" Edge models were fitted to 550's?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:03 AM

what year is the rg550? it might be the knife edges or the nut. make sure the nut is tight. next check your knife edges. if it is around the 98-02 range, you might have knife edge issues. imo, the edge is way superior to the schaller floyd. also, imo, the edge and lo-pro edge are the best knife edge locking trems period. those are made by gotoh, which have a trem that is very similar to the edge. the main difference is the gotoh has a flat floyd rose original style baseplate. aside from that, it is near identical.

rich
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

I bought the guitar in 2004 in 1st hand (new) but it doesn't have the Prestige Neck so I think the guitar is older than 2004. It might be from 99, 2000 or 2001. Maybe I have the problems you mention with the knife edges. How can I fix or try to locate the problem?

PS: Mine is Edge not the Edge pro (I think...)
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:00 PM
rgr

There aren't any "low end" Edge trems to my knowledge, you must be thinking of the TRS.

Definitely make sure the nut is tight, if it is loose it doesn't matter what kind of bridge you are using, and it's quick and easy to check. Just remember tight, don't go Godzilla on it.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98
what year is the rg550? it might be the knife edges or the nut. make sure the nut is tight. next check your knife edges. if it is around the 98-02 range, you might have knife edge issues. imo, the edge is way superior to the schaller floyd. also, imo, the edge and lo-pro edge are the best knife edge locking trems period. those are made by gotoh, which have a trem that is very similar to the edge. the main difference is the gotoh has a flat floyd rose original style baseplate. aside from that, it is near identical.

rich
Well, I think my guitar is one from the 98-02 range. I've checked the knife edges and the studs and I think that the non-curved knife edge is a little wide. I read from ibanezrules.com that if the studs have the V angle (older studs) the good shaped knife edge won't help.

Why there is a curved and a non-curved knife edge?

If the problem persists with my Edge I'm thinking in acquiring an Schaller floyd rose. It is a good alternative and retrofits with rg550? Does Ibanez sell the EdgePro separately or the new studs?
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:16 PM

What's the serial number? Or at least the first two digits. That will tell you what year it is. If it's an 03' or newer with an edge pro, the non locking studs may be your problem. --Jason
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahrs
What's the serial number? Or at least the first two digits. That will tell you what year it is. If it's an 03' or newer with an edge pro, the non locking studs may be your problem. --Jason
The serial number is F0107059, maybe it's from 2001 because of the first 01. Also I have Edge not EdgePro ...
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:19 AM
tTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
There aren't any "low end" Edge trems to my knowledge, you must be thinking of the TRS.

Do the Edge III and Edge Pro II not count?
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujecas
The serial number is F0107059, maybe it's from 2001 because of the first 01. Also I have Edge not EdgePro ...
That means your guitar has a lo pro edge with the locking studs. As everyone said already read Rich's tech section on how to set up the trem.

Regards

André

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Well, I fixed the problem sharpening the non-curved knife edge and putting a bit of kitchen oil on it. Now the guitar stays in tune while using the tremolo, even with a heavier utilization of it. Even checking the tune with a electric tuner the untune is minimal and sometimes it doesn't happen.

I still have the question: Why there is a curved knife-edge and a non-curved?

Thanks.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:51 AM

The curved knife edge centers the trem.

There is only one, as two would 'overconstrain' the trem. If it had two curved edges, a slight misalignment could cause the trem to ride up the posts for example.

Tags
bridge pickup , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , frets scalloped , ibanez guitars , locking stud , locking studs , locking trems , monkey grip , pro edge , schaller floyd rose , tremolo bar , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode