Floyd Rose into an Edge 3 cavity??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Question Floyd Rose into an Edge 3 cavity???

Just recently i got an RG 320 FM (fireburst finish) and i already know im going to modify this baby like krazy. Ok now im sure im gonna get an EMG 81 Active bridge pickup installed, add some inlays in the fretboard, and finally get the Edge 3 Trem replaced by an original Floyd Rose trem. Here's the deal, I dont know if the Edge 3 cavity in the guitar is the right size for the FR trem. Does any one know if this cavity is compatable with a FR trem? Because all i can find posts on are the Edge Pro's, Edge Lo Pro's, and ZR trems; but i cant find anything about the Floyd Rose trem conversion. So if you know anything can you please post a reply here. Please give me some info if you can.

Thanx ^_^x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:15 PM

Re: Floyd Rose into an Edge 3 cavity???

You should now expect a flurry of flaming posts that claim this has been discussed to death, and to "search the forums", etc., all because people won't take the two seconds to read that you're talking about an Edge 3 (new trem for 2005), not an Edge Pro II, or an Edge Pro III (doesn't even exist!).

There is one thread here on swapping an original Edge into an Edge 3 cavity, but there was no conclusion:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35865

Anyway, what you could do is remove the trem and measure all the dimensions of the cavity, then compare with the measurements on the Floyd Rose website. That's probably your best bet.

Have fun,
-John
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:32 PM

From everything I've read on this site, anything can be modified. But the question is, do you want to reroute the cavity if need be?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannifive
You should now expect a flurry of flaming posts that claim this has been discussed to death, and to "search the forums", etc., all because people won't take the two seconds to read that you're talking about an Edge 3 (new trem for 2005), not an Edge Pro II, or an Edge Pro III (doesn't even exist!).

There is one thread here on swapping an original Edge into an Edge 3 cavity, but there was no conclusion:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35865

Anyway, what you could do is remove the trem and measure all the dimensions of the cavity, then compare with the measurements on the Floyd Rose website. That's probably your best bet.

Have fun,
-John
Yeah, it appears he did search already too...

as for the answer, all i can say is it may require routing, or may be routed too far so it would be a pain. An Edge Pro might be the best way to go because they are kind of big, so too much routing should not be a problem.

Is the Edge 3 a budget trem? I am not familiar with it...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 01:09 AM

Edge 3 is the new trem for 05
i hvnt muck around with it..but it does look pretty good to me

i m not sure whether the OFR will fit...but the stud on the edge 3 seems to be placed abit higher...but i could be wrong
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Floyd Rose into an Edge 3 cavity???

Hey wow thanx you guys for taking the time to post some things on for me! Ok well last night one of my small "E" strings busted on my new fire burst RG 320 FM (it may be a 2004 or 2005 im not 100% sure). and i figured it was a perfect opportunity to investigate the Edge 3 trem for myself!. alrighty then; well when you first feel the edge 3 its rather short and low for a locking bridge so its a very small body cavity with a ton of space for xtreme pull ups and dive bombs. the strings can also now be installed with or without the ball end on them and this takes less time to restring and no little pieces fall out when you do this either. as for the effectivness of this the tuning stability, lets just put it this way, even on the most insane dive and pull the little bugger still pops back into tune! people on this website have constantly persecuted the edge 3 for being unsuperior to the Lo Pro and the Edge Pro bridges. But by the amount of quality this little baby has for the price it is enough to measure up tho the name Ibanez. However i am still going to replace this bridge with a floyd rose because they move more fluid like and clean. ohh and also i plan to add some personal fabrication onto "Exodus" (its what i named my guitar lol) like abalone shell inlays in the neck and maybe even the body. so hey, if there is something you guys wanna add please do cause i need all the info i can get ok.

Thanx
-John L
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 12

That sounds like an EDGE Pro II and I highly doubt you can drop a floyd directly into the cavity...

The newer models RG's from 2xx and 3xx all have a new trem which seems larger and quite similar to a lo pro edge trem, so you could probably retrofit an ofr into one of those allthough they dont have the keep the ball end thing the EPII's and EP's do...

Good luck anyways............

Ozz
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Today i went to the floyd rose website and got the dimensions for the Original FR trem. Now all i have to do is measure my cavity on my RG and once and for all find out if a FR trem can be swapped in a Edge 3 cavity. However i would honestly go with the ZR trem on the S series but the dont fit on the edge 3 cavity. I love those trems for any situation that needs a durable and reliable trem. Any way i just put my some new Hybrid Slinky strings on my RG and let me just say this, it took almost 3 hours for some one like me (who had never tinkered with a locking bridge and nut configuration) to find out how to stablize the trem at neutral and drop all of my strings down a whole step cause i just love playin tuned way low for lots of metal and Alexi Laiho licks, lol. Ok and if the stupid FR doesnt fit right, does anyone know what other locking trem will fit in an edge 3 cavity cause i really wanna get one. hey and thanx all of you who took the time post a reply.

laters
-John L
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Virtuoso_6688
Hey wow thanx you guys for taking the time to post some things on for me! Ok well last night one of my small "E" strings busted on my new fire burst RG 320 FM (it may be a 2004 or 2005 im not 100% sure).
The string or the guitar?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzuk
That sounds like an EDGE Pro II and I highly doubt you can drop a floyd directly into the cavity...

The newer models RG's from 2xx and 3xx all have a new trem which seems larger and quite similar to a lo pro edge trem, so you could probably retrofit an ofr into one of those allthough they dont have the keep the ball end thing the EPII's and EP's do...

Good luck anyways............

Ozz
If it's an Edge Pro 2, he could put an Edge Pro in?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Question Re: Floyd Rose into an Edge 3 cavity???

Ok guys, i cant find a single pic of my exact guitar on the net and when i changed the strings i wasnt able to really to date my guitar or its trem!!! the only thing i found were the small words "made in korea" and the model number is: C 03081554. well i went on the ibanez websit to try and find it, but to no avail. It has a fire burst finish and im pretty sure the pickups aren't INF style cause they have shiny pole peices unlike the 2005 with the INF black dull pole peices so now im convinced its a 2004 but im not sure what type of trem it has. Let me describe it ok; it is quite small for a locking bridge, the cavity is very deep and easy to pull back into, the fine tunners are rather short as well and it does have those little ball holders in it for the strings. yeah that about covers it. so does anyone have any sort of clue as to what type of trem it has cause there are so many different types of edge trems and they are really starting to get me confused. it also would be really awsome if someone took the time to breifly describe the differences in them. ohh and also does anyone know what kind of pickups came standard with this sort of guitar in 2004? I think they may be wussy Powersound pickups but im not sure. im gonna get an EMG 81 active still to replace the bridge and i think that i may get a DiMarzio Super 2 neck pickup too but just outta robot curiosity i wanted to know what the originals are. Oh and one more thing, i heard that the ZR trems are even smoother than an Edge Pro. is this true, like which trem is better outta those two?

Thanx
-Solo John-
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Virtuoso_6688
Ok guys, i cant find a single pic of my exact guitar on the net and when i changed the strings i wasnt able to really to date my guitar or its trem!!! the only thing i found were the small words "made in korea" and the model number is: C 03081554. well i went on the ibanez websit to try and find it, but to no avail. It has a fire burst finish and im pretty sure the pickups aren't INF style cause they have shiny pole peices unlike the 2005 with the INF black dull pole peices so now im convinced its a 2004 but im not sure what type of trem it has. Let me describe it ok; it is quite small for a locking bridge, the cavity is very deep and easy to pull back into, the fine tunners are rather short as well and it does have those little ball holders in it for the strings. yeah that about covers it. so does anyone have any sort of clue as to what type of trem it has cause there are so many different types of edge trems and they are really starting to get me confused. it also would be really awsome if someone took the time to breifly describe the differences in them. ohh and also does anyone know what kind of pickups came standard with this sort of guitar in 2004? I think they may be wussy Powersound pickups but im not sure. im gonna get an EMG 81 active still to replace the bridge and i think that i may get a DiMarzio Super 2 neck pickup too but just outta robot curiosity i wanted to know what the originals are. Oh and one more thing, i heard that the ZR trems are even smoother than an Edge Pro. is this true, like which trem is better outta those two?

Thanx
-Solo John-
The ZR trem is a ball bearing trem while the Edge Pro is knife edge based. Both trems equally good, it all comes down to personal preference in the end. Can you do a pic of your guitar?

Regards

André

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 08:30 PM

I can tell you for a fact that your guitar doesn't have an Edge III on it; sounds more like it has an Edge Pro II and was made between 2003-2004. From personal experience, I would say that the ZR trem is great on tuning stability but it's definitely not as "fluid" as an Edge Pro just because it's not fully floating. Also, you'd need a HELL OF A LOT OF ROUTING to get a ZR trem into an RG body. You'd probably have to fill in the entire cavity and then recut it. But if you're already going to go the routing route, then I'd suggest checking out a Floyd Rose Speedloader trem. They have the easiest freakin' string changes around AND it has the little thing on it you turn to make it stop floating.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 01:39 PM

^^ What is what I was thinking...
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Re: Floyd Rose into an Edge Pro II cavity???

Ok now i did some research and i think i can be confident enough to say it is an Edge Pro II trem from korea. However i still am not sure what sort of trem will fit in the cavity!

Hmm but you guys say that maybe a Speed Loader trem will work ? well what about the fit, cause i really dont wanna route the guts outta my guitar, i just need to find a reliable trem that can replace the Edge II i have. And i was wondering if it is possible to drop the tuning at all on those speed loaders cause they are double ball strings arent they?

Anyway last night i busted another string doing suicide pull ups and dive bombs, so i took all the strings out and pretty much gave my guitar an enema. well the real reason i took off the neck and bridge was to roll my frets down on the side cause they were kinda rough unlike the prestige necks. so anyway when i get home today, i am gonna see if i cant do some custom art fabrication to it with out getting yelled at by my parents (sweet jesus! they think that i will destroy every guitar i get my hands on untill recently when i showed them how good i was at fabrication like inlays and stuff. now they trust me a bit more i guess). well i need to get the new EMG installed so i think i will leave the trem and strings off for a while.

so if you guys can find any more stuff about the edge pro II trem i would like to hear it ok. thanx.

Solo John-

Tags
alexi laiho , bridge pickup , edge pro bridge , edge pro bridges , edge pro iii , edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , locking bridge , neck pickup , palm mute , powersound pickups , prestige necks , pro edge , pro edge trem , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode