flutter and action height ?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Question flutter and action height ??

2 part discussion...first, what is the secret to getting the bar to flutter or "cricket"...easily...i've played a few where all you had to do was tap the body and it would go nuts...i have two,an older lic. floyd and a new edge III, both on rg's, set at correct height, angle, intonation, tuned to DGCFAD with 10 markleys, 3 springs, original parallel positions on both....really need to smack them to get the flutter ???
Also, about action height...these are both rg's w/ wizard II necks... if i go any lower than 2mm at 24 fret on my new rg470, i get buzz, some you can hear thru the amp.
Is this about normal? I have no problem playing at 2mm, even sounds clearer, no string choke. Just figured i would put it out there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Re: flutter and action height ??

No takers on this...???
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 AM

not really sure why action would affect flutter.

it has more to do with the size, weight and construction of the bridge. there are a few threads discussing the hardcore physics of this on the forums here.

edit: also, with your action, you should be able to get it lower than 2.00mm with acceptable buzz. get about 0.4mm or so neck relief and then you should be able to go down to like 1.7-8ish on the high E and 2.00mm on the low E with acceptable buzz. check out ibanezrules.com in the tech section for more detail.

Last edited by Homebake; 03-26-2010 at 09:39 AM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:45 AM

Reviews: 57

I find it works much better (for me) with only two springs instead of the typical three. However, it can and does work with three just fine too.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtldad View Post
...i have two,an older lic. floyd and a new edge III...
i wouldn't expect those trems to flutter. especially the Edge-III. i think it all depends either on how the stud grooves are cut, how the arm is tight in place as well as the geometry between the arm insert > springs > fulcrum point placement. my 2 cents
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Heh yeah not much flutter to be found in the III. On an original Floyd though? Flutter away!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:09 PM

Edge III trems flutter like no tomorrow lol. Usually if a guitar is not fluttering it means either the knife edges are shot or the studs are shot. Any new trem if set up correctly will flutter. I once had an rg350 one of those white ones with the perloid pickgaurd and I'll tell ya that edge III fluttered the best out of any guitar I've ever owned. Even my Ibanez rg 470 with an original edge on it didn't flutter as well as my edge III. Must of been the pick of the litter lol. But usually it's the knife edges and in most cases the studs. Also if the routing of the posts where the anchors go is off by even a little bit, that can just totally screw you for fluttering in all. That's my experience.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 03:30 PM

Reviews: 39

I get decent flutter on my Lo-Trs RG470. I'm running 4 springs with super shredder action (same height as my PGM301). I also have a little bit of tissue paper in between the springs to reduce spring-buzz coming through the amp when the guitar resonates. Helps alot. I've been thinking of switching to the regular 3 spring setup to increase flutter length (mine only flutters for about 3 beats @ 120 bpm - good for solos) and i'd like to increase it to more what you can get off well set up Lo-Pro.

Tags
rg trem ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode