FNGD......RG920M - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
FNGD......RG920M

Last week a kid I work with called me asking my advice on a new guitar purchase. He was on Musicians Friend looking for something different. He's been playing an SG copy and an Epi Les Paul for a few years.

He was looking at guitars in the $1000 range. He's really been drawn toward playing the blues lately and wanted a guitar that would accommodate that.The ones he was asking me about were the Fender American Standard Strat ($1250), the Schecter C1 FR Extreme ($1099), and the RG920M ($999). Since he's only ever played my older Ibanez guitars, he went out to try some newer ones at the local GC. Of course, our local GC only carries standard Indo's but it gave him a good chance to get the general feel of a modern Ibanez.

You KNOW I had to push him toward the 920.....LOL. I also let him on to the secret we call Ibanez Rules. Rich was able to provide a beautiful '13 920MQM in Cobalt blue. The best part is that, even with Rich's bronze package, the guitar came in at $985........... $14 less that MF and completely straightened out, intonated, cleaned, and set-up. How could you possibly ask for more???

Derek (my buddy), requested a rather high set-up because of the guitars he's use to. He likes how mine play, but he still has a hard time with a super-low setup. Regardless, this guitar play's quite smoothly. The neck has a dual finish on it. The back of the head has a gloss finish while the playing area has a super smooth satin finish. I really wish I knew the process Ibanez uses to get that satin finish....... It really does make a huge difference over even the lightest gloss finish.

I'm not going to get too into detail about the guitar because I'm hoping Derek will join Jemsite to do an NGD himself. I will say this, to those of you that have tried the Premiums and didn't like them.............I don't get it. Maybe your a lot more picky about guitars than I am?? Maybe Rich's bronze package turned a turd into a gem?....... I don't know. What I do know is that I can't think of a single reason not to want one of these. Other than the electronics (not the pups- they're just fine) this guitar is as well put together and comfortable as some of my "better" guitars and even better than some of my others. This guitar is FAR more comfortable to play than my '98 RG550. The fretwork is far better than any (factory) Wiz or Super Wiz that I've spent any time on. I don't know if Rich did any fretwork on this guitar...... If he did, he didn't leave any traces of his work. In hindsite, that wouldn't be very surprising to find out........LOL

Anyway- here are a couple of obligatory pics. If Derek joins the site, I'm sure he'll add some much better shots.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: FNGD......RG920M

What a sweet guitar! Congratulations to your friend.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

He picked it up a little while ago. He was pretty happy to see it to say the least. I'll find out soon how well he likes playing it.....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Thats real beauty... I love the red 920's too. Never played one though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM

awesome deal ur friend got there congrats. hope he enjoys it an becomes a jem site member.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Last week a kid I work with called me asking my advice on a new guitar purchase. He was on Musicians Friend looking for something different. He's been playing an SG copy and an Epi Les Paul for a few years.

He was looking at guitars in the $1000 range. He's really been drawn toward playing the blues lately and wanted a guitar that would accommodate that.The ones he was asking me about were the Fender American Standard Strat ($1250), the Schecter C1 FR Extreme ($1099), and the RG920M ($999). Since he's only ever played my older Ibanez guitars, he went out to try some newer ones at the local GC. Of course, our local GC only carries standard Indo's but it gave him a good chance to get the general feel of a modern Ibanez.

You KNOW I had to push him toward the 920.....LOL. I also let him on to the secret we call Ibanez Rules. Rich was able to provide a beautiful '13 920MQM in Cobalt blue. The best part is that, even with Rich's bronze package, the guitar came in at $985........... $14 less that MF and completely straightened out, intonated, cleaned, and set-up. How could you possibly ask for more???

Derek (my buddy), requested a rather high set-up because of the guitars he's use to. He likes how mine play, but he still has a hard time with a super-low setup. Regardless, this guitar play's quite smoothly. The neck has a dual finish on it. The back of the head has a gloss finish while the playing area has a super smooth satin finish. I really wish I knew the process Ibanez uses to get that satin finish....... It really does make a huge difference over even the lightest gloss finish.

I'm not going to get too into detail about the guitar because I'm hoping Derek will join Jemsite to do an NGD himself. I will say this, to those of you that have tried the Premiums and didn't like them.............I don't get it. Maybe your a lot more picky about guitars than I am?? Maybe Rich's bronze package turned a turd into a gem?....... I don't know. What I do know is that I can't think of a single reason not to want one of these. Other than the electronics (not the pups- they're just fine) this guitar is as well put together and comfortable as some of my "better" guitars and even better than some of my others. This guitar is FAR more comfortable to play than my '98 RG550. The fretwork is far better than any (factory) Wiz or Super Wiz that I've spent any time on. I don't know if Rich did any fretwork on this guitar...... If he did, he didn't leave any traces of his work. In hindsite, that wouldn't be very surprising to find out........LOL

Anyway- here are a couple of obligatory pics. If Derek joins the site, I'm sure he'll add some much better shots.

*mouth drools*

my fav rg920 finish. Now , just needs low action and she's ready to go
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 AM

Reviews: 11

And you didn't tell me?!?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode