Ibanez JEM Forum banner

FR Prestige

5K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  Ibanez-Mag 
#1 ·
Anyone have one? What do you think?

#2 ·
I have one of the DBS finish ones - nice 'burst, binding around the body edge... comfort contours...

Aside from a rewire to my personal specs with different pickups, the only things I did to it were to scallop the top four frets Jem-style (very used to this, so it's a standard thing I do to all of my 24-fret Ibanez instruments) and to add a set of Planet Waves locking tuners.
I'm a very 'bendy' player, so this helps me quite a lot...

It's a lovely instrument; I come from having the Telecaster as my first love of the electric guitar world... so this addresses that, but with a very 'race car' Ibanez feel...

If you're one for hard tails (I'm not, but I just had to get this one) it's a great instrument all around.

Cheers.

#6 ·
I got lucky and found a /barely/ used 'burst one hanging in a local shop on clearance... still had plastic on the back and such.
I'm definitely most impressed with the 'burst, but a natural one would also be a very nice choice... the solids don't really do it for me.

#9 ·
I actually have almost all of them.
All colors of the 2620, the black 1620 and the white 320 (those are actually amazing, I like the mahogany body).
Also have the FR8620-DA (the J-custom version), but I never use that one.

I also have a couple of custom FR's (LACS and Japan).

My main guitar are a LACS FR with a EDGE Pro tremolo, mahogany/mapletop body and maple fretboard.

I feel in love with the model even before it came out.
It feels like my loved RG's to play but have a look that visually works in any type of music (and as a session player is that part very important, a RG have a image that make it look wrong in many styles of music. I don't personalty don't think RG's look wrong, but many of the people who hire me do. The y sort of have a "first to the 12th fret gets a cookie" sort of stamp in many peoples eyes).

The rounded over "horn" make them hang a bit different in a strap than RG's, weight wise.
I didn't like that so much in the beginning, but now I love it.

/Magnus

#15 ·
Magnus - great collection... I'm quite curious about the LACS EdgePro equipped one, since that would certainly be an option I'd want to explore (I do prefer to have a trem, but the FR2620DBS is just TOO nice to ignore, hence my adding it to the herd)...

I jumped to your site and saw some pics, too... very cool.
The J Custom vine is my favourite 'standard' inlay out there currently - I quite like the Jem vine, don't get me wrong... but the J Custom one is super-nice and different and not directly associated with the Jem (even though those weren't the first to have pretty much that same vine pattern).

psychoshredder - nice custom FR...

#16 ·
Steve : thanks !
I'm a RG man myself, never played a real FR before , so absolutely have no idea how it does.
I always wanted a mahogany neckthru guitar, let alone the les paul ( been there, hate it).
So I've got this guy built it for me, based on the FR model.
Why FR not RG ? simply because I want something different this time.
Tele shape, wilkinson type bridge, cover pickups, they are all new to me.

#19 ·
Thanks!
I agree.

No, never.
I don't like the look of cream pickups :)
Cream pickups makes guitars look like candy, especially in colors like that.
I like candy so then I have to lick it just to try if it taste as good as it looks, and then I get electrical shocks and die :) It has happened several times already and I only have 2 life's left of the 46 I was given by the all mighty one (in exchange for guitar lessons way back when before light was invented and earth was populated by big nasty animals that was eating JEM guitars for breakfast).

I don't like zebra pickups either (it makes me think if LP's and I don't like thinking about that because it makes me have to custom order longer straps and I can't afford it and it also stops evolution of mankind), as in the other one, but it was just to dark without it (I wish it could work with black).

Yes I know, those drugs are not good for me but they taste so good, like candy, makes me think of cream pickups. And here we go again.

:)

/Magnus

#23 ·
FR are my favourite shape Ibanez. I only had one 1620bk which I sold after about a year. I don't get on very well with hard tail guitars as my bends are always a little out after 20 years of playing floating trems... also I always end up with sore finger joints from having to work really hard.. the same reason I sold my js6000tr, pgm 900tr and im sure some other ibanez hard tails too...

My dream guitar would be an FR with a lo-pro... so Im very glad to see my dream guitar exists out there in the real world... one day I will get one made...

I also agree re playing RG's they feel and sound great (when you put proper pups in them) but they dont have the traditional shape that most people expect to see for the music I play... and looking right is more important than playing right for most gigs... i find if I play swirls then people dont notice the pointy shape so much...

All the best

Steve

#26 ·
FR are my favourite shape Ibanez. I only had one 1620bk which I sold after about a year. I don't get on very well with hard tail guitars as my bends are always a little out after 20 years of playing floating trems... also I always end up with sore finger joints from having to work really hard.. the same reason I sold my js6000tr, pgm 900tr and im sure some other ibanez hard tails too...

My dream guitar would be an FR with a lo-pro... so Im very glad to see my dream guitar exists out there in the real world... one day I will get one made...

I also agree re playing RG's they feel and sound great (when you put proper pups in them) but they dont have the traditional shape that most people expect to see for the music I play... and looking right is more important than playing right for most gigs... i find if I play swirls then people dont notice the pointy shape so much...

All the best

Steve
Same here, my favorite shape.
I love the RG (and if I could only have one of them would I take the RG) but people think they look wrong for some types of music. It is ridiculous but the way it is.

Buy my green one.

/Magnus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.